News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

T_MacWood

Who was the most influential in Scotland?
« on: April 25, 2004, 10:25:47 AM »
Who produced the best work in Scotland...and whose influence was the greatest.

a. T.Morris
b. W.Park II
c. J. Braid
d. H. Colt
e. someone else

ForkaB

Re:Who was the most influential in Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 07:02:05 AM »
Tom

I think you have two basic eras, here:

--The early age (1880-1900), when Morris and Park monopolised the laying out of new courses/altering of very old ones.
--the later age (1900-1930), when Braid (and to a lesser degree, Colt) built other new ones on lesser ground and modernised many of the courses that Morris and Park laid out.

I don't think that Colt is in the running for either question, in that while his work was exemplary (particularly Eden and Muirfield), it was limited.

I think that Morris' work had the most influence because it was the most extensive, and at the better venues.  Regardless of whether or not one thinks that much of this work is NLE (or at least hidden to the undiscriminating or 2nd-hand eye), you can't argue with the pedigree of the tracks that even today are proud to credit him with their design.

As for the best work, Colt might win if he had more chances to show what he could do at situations which weren't the slam-dunks that Muirfield and St. Andrews were.  So, I'll vote for Braid, whose stuff is consistently good and occasionally brilliant.  Very much the Donald Ross of Scotland. ;)

Paul_Turner

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 05:58:30 PM »
I agree that Harry Colt didn't do enough courses in Scotland to win this one.  Although nearly all he did there was quality work:  Longniddry being another one-still apparently very good (I don't know it) even after 3-4 Colt links holes, hard by the shore, were lost.  He did a lot on The New course too (6 new greens and bunker work).

He did some redesign work at Gullane...but I don't know what.  Also, he designed a course called "Dundee" which I'm not sure even exists anymore?  

I believe he proposed some majot alterations to Montrose, but these were never implemented because of WW1.

Newbattle near Edinburgh is a very late Colt and Co course.  Which doesn't look to be of the same quality-particularly now.

No obvious answer to this one.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 05:59:26 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Paul_Turner

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 06:20:09 PM »
PS  HC did some redesign work on Ranfurly Castle, anyone know it?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 10:11:32 AM »
PS  HC did some redesign work on Ranfurly Castle, anyone know it?

Paul

I'm very interested to hear more about Colt at Ranfurly Castle. Haven't played it for a few years but I've played it a number of times and it really is one of the best in the Glasgow area. I wasn't aware Colt was ever involved and don't think I've read about it anywhere either. Do you know what he did ?

Niall

Frank Pont

Re: Who was the most influential in Scotland?
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »
Played Ranfurly Castle a few years back on the way back from a Machrihanish trip. Really liked the course, would strongly recommend it to anyone arriving/leaving from Glasgow Airport, its only a 5 minute ride from the airport. Only later found out that Colt did major renovation work there, the club bills it as a Braid course as far as I know.

For pics of the course:

http://www.golfarchitecturepictures.com/Web%20Galleries/Scotland/Ranfurly-Castle/index.html

Jim McCann

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »
Ranfurly Castle's a cracking track.

The opening few holes are a bit of a slog uphill but then the course levels out across some lovely moorland terrain.

Of course, what goes up must come down and the 18th allows you to freewheel all the way back down to the very impressive old clubhouse.

I'm really surprised that Colt is associated with any remodelling work undertaken here.

The club credits Andrew Kirkaldy and Willie Auchterlonie with the original design then, according to its website, "with a reconstruction in 1930 with some influence from the legendary James Braid," which seems a bit of a wooly statement to me!

PS Bridge of Weir is 7 miles and 15 minutes from Glasgow airport so don't think it's only 5 minutes away if you're tight for time, Frank.  ;)

David_Tepper

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »
Jim

I had it in the back of my mind that Willie Campbell might have done an original routing, as I know he was out this way before he went to the US. Not surprised about Braid. More recently Ronnie Lumsden gave them some advice.

Niall

Paul Jones

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 08:48:36 AM »
Who produced the best work in Scotland...and whose influence was the greatest.

a. T.Morris
b. W.Park II
c. J. Braid
d. H. Colt
e. someone else

f. D. Trump
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back