News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Connemara Golf Club --Ireland --Photo Tour
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Tom,

Thanks for your thoughts. A 5 or 6 was exactly where I would have expected you to place it.

Ken,

Second home because when I moved to Ireland in '99, I spent a lot of time in Clifden & Roundstone. We got married in the Zetland House in 2004 and still try and get away to Ballynahinch Castle for a weekend once a year.

I have been told that Hugh O'Neil did a good job and everyone I know swears by his character and passion so I'd be interested to see photos.

As for the club not using the best land for the best course, they had permitting difficulties when they developed the third nine, did they not (meaning one or two holes by the shore had to be abandoned)?... I wonder if this played its part when the original 18 was built?... But ideally, I agree: If the shore area could have been used instead of the land around 3-7 (albeit 6 is a lovely wee one-shot hole), then the course would have been another level up.

Ally

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 07:29:25 PM »
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:26:12 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bart Bradley

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 11:14:20 PM »
Well, some nut didn't finish this thread!  Thanks all for the new comments (and old ones)

I have reviewed my files and have this, a poor picture of the par 5 17th:

Unfortunately, the skies opened up on 18 and I can't seem to find an image.  Anyone else with an image of the par 5 18th feel free to chime in and post.

Re-reading, I suppose I should have said the course was a Bradley 5 instead of Doak 5...but it seems I wasn't too far off.

Returning to the area this July....Boy, how my family loves Ireland.

Slainte,

Bart

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 11:24:41 PM »
Thanks Bart, for the photo tour.  The holes on the front nine all look the same!   The back nine does look to be more interesting. 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 06:21:21 AM »
Would be nice to get a photo or two of 18 indeed, Bart.... If my memory serves me well enough, I have it as one of the best finishers in Ireland.

I’ve never been fully sure of the timeline with the third nine.... Eddie Hackett did the initial routing I think. But Tom Craddock finished the course off. And there were compromises from the initial routing from planning I think? It is certainly quite disjointed but I only ever played it once so would like to have another look.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 01:56:20 PM »
Connemara GC appears appealing from the photos but it seems to be a bit out on a limb in relation to other courses. Although it doesn't look too far on a map, I imagine the drive either south from Bellmullet or west from Galway out to Connemara GC might take quite a while. Any thoughts on how long either drive would take and are there any other courses, other than say Mulranny, worth playing enroute?

All the best

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »
Thomas,

The drive from Galway city is about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The drive from Belmullet is a lot longer. Aside from Mulranny, the best course to break up that journey would be Westport which is a traditional parkland that has a lot to offer, especially around holes 11 to 15. Out in Connemara itself, Bearna is worth a look but also the rather spectacular 9 holer at Connemara Isles.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »
Many thanks for this info Ally.

All the best.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 06:54:11 PM »
Thomas:

If you head to play Connemara and want a great place to stay and dine, I strongly recommend Cashel House.

Should you be interested, here is a blog post my wife wrote about it...it is my favorite country house in the world...

http://bradleygolftravel.blogspot.com/2011/02/cashel-house-hotel-our-favorite-country.html

Bart

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 10:56:27 AM »
Heading down again this weekend... May try and take my son out on the third nine to have another look...

Did we ever get a photo of the 18th?

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 07:08:13 PM »
Some photos of the 18th!

Tee Shot

Greenside

Behind the Green

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2017, 12:28:24 PM »
Bump,

Has been mentioned in recent threads about Ireland and where to play 5 days.

I updated my post with reference to flickr image that had to be moved from photobucket.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas Dai

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 06:32:20 AM »
Looks cool - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPZrFJ8RDxs & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j55baz6JoKc - 27-holes holes a well.

Am I correct in believing some Buda-ites played here prior to Carne in 2016? Any reports?

atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back