News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Ok-we've now heard all the hypotheticals.

Who actually flown at least 3000 miles to play just ONE course 8 times for 5 days?

I've done it at Palmetto but it's no transatlantic flight and I'm a member.
I can see people doing it at Deal that are members-especially with the different formats they offer there.

To say I would find it "boring' would be inaccurate, it's just that usually people traveling with you, opportunities elsewhere, curiousity, tee time availability/access and as Charles says -if it's a first trip you want to see what is in the area.
Plus I enjoy driving and seeing the countryside.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Whitaker

Jeff - the only person I can think of who might have done this is Brent Hutto... but, he doesn't post here anymore. I remember Brent spending a week at one course in the UK on a few occasions. That routine got to be his modus operandi. Perhaps there are some old threads with his recaps.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tommy Williamsen

Who actually flown at least 3000 miles to play just ONE course 8 times for 5 days?

I've done it at Palmetto but it's no transatlantic flight and I'm a member.
I can see people doing it at Deal that are members-especially with the different formats they offer there.

To say I would find it "boring' would be inaccurate, it's just that usually people traveling with you, opportunities elsewhere, curiousity, tee time availability/access and as Charles says -if it's a first trip you want to see what is in the area.
Plus I enjoy driving and seeing the countryside.

I have done that. Over the years I had overseas memberships at Royal North Devon, Saunton, and The European Club. I have spent a week at each of those places. This past November my wife joined me at TEC. It is nice to find a place where you can feel at home. I have played about 180 courses in GB&I so I don't crave playing a bunch of different courses.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Scott Warren

I wouldn’t necessarily do a trip solely with this approach, but as I get older the idea of 3-4 days of hit-and-run golf, then 3-5 days in one bed playing one course and then another few days seeing several courses would be fantastic.

But I could certainly spend five straight days only playing:

* St Enodoc. Those views, the quirk & quality of the course, quality of Rock & Padstow to eat and drink in, the coastal walk and clear waters. Yes please.

* Deal. But I would say that.

* North Berwick. Some train trips to Edinburgh to explore and have my accent further mocked to add some variety to just hanging in town and drinking pints on the clubhouse balcony.

* Dornoch. In May, with the gorse blooming, I think I could well just play golf non-stop for five days, breaking only to sustain myself at Luigi.

For whatever reason, I can only really see myself doing this on the seaside. Probably because the wind adds the variety that would make the exercise interesting for five days.

Ally Mcintosh

Jeff - the only person I can think of who might have done this is Brent Hutto... but, he doesn't post here anymore. I remember Brent spending a week at one course in the UK on a few occasions. That routine got to be his modus operandi. Perhaps there are some old threads with his recaps.

Mark B has done it on a couple of occasions as well, Westward Ho! and Lahinch being his choices.

Seems Tommy W has as well.

Charles Lund

I think this is something better suited to the solo golf traveler, unless people agree on a course and are committed to seeing the process through or have a plan B if something isn't working.  I also think that this type of trip is better suited for a return trip to a a course that has an appeal you want to explore more.

I did a variation of this type of trip last summer, with a five round in seven day ticket at St. Enodoc, followed by five rounds that included two at Saunton East, one at Saunton West, one at Royal North Devon, and one at Burnham and Berrow.  I wanted to try something different and did not want to take on a lot of driving.  I picked St, Enodoc due to being one that sounded most interesting from the Confidential Guide and one that seemed realistic in terms of access and affordability.  I got a nice email  back from the club that was encouraging, so I planned the trip many months in advance and got a good airfare to London and hopped a train to Exeter for a night of sleep and picked up a car the next morning.  It worked out well and I would do it again, most likely focusing on a single course I had played before or one in an area where I had other options.

A few years ago, I spent a week at Barnbougle after both courses were open.  I had previously spent three days at Barnbougle Dunes in 2008 when the Lost Farm was being built.  Both trips were part of multi-destination trips to Australia. 

In the past few years, I have traveled and mostly played at clubs where I have a membership but one has two 18 hole courses and one has four 18 hole courses.  I think of this as different from what this thread is discussing.

I have done over 30 overseas golf trips that included over 160 different courses outside of North America. Many were return trips and the pattern over time involve breadth on earlier trips and depth later.  Even on earlier trips, I often attempted to play multiple rounds on some courses and book extended stays in some areas., so I might have played 22 rounds on 18 different courses or 27 rounds on 23 different courses.

I asked the question about courses in England that would be both accessible and affordable, given that I have periodically gotten emails from courses I have written to that are basically not available for play during several day time windows, even when writing many months in advance.

Charles Lund
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:23:32 AM by Charles Lund »

Peter Pallotta

It would be a joy, I think, to be at a course like Notts or Cavendish for 5 days of golf - but with every game being different, ie two ball for one round,  foursomes for another, medal play one day, match play the other, four ball with complicated wagering one time, a skins game the next etc. In short: to experience for 5 days the same fine golf course *play* in many different ways. I think that would be very gratifying and fun.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 07:01:19 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Marty Bonnar

We’ve been here before. Most, if not nearly all, Scottish Courses have a ‘Golf Week’ in Summer.
Golf, hospitality, fun, cameraderie a-plenty abound.
As a test, I googled Golf Week Scotland and here’s Brora’s:

https://broragolfclub.co.uk/visitors/golf-week-2018

Sounds flippin’ idyllic.

Cheers, :)
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

jeffwarne

We’ve been here before. Most, if not nearly all, Scottish Courses have a ‘Golf Week’ in Summer.
Golf, hospitality, fun, cameraderie a-plenty abound.
As a test, I googled Golf Week Scotland and here’s Brora’s:

https://broragolfclub.co.uk/visitors/golf-week-2018

Sounds flippin’ idyllic.

Cheers, :)
F.

Now that I could do.

Deal's looks like fun too
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

James Brown

I’ve done 5-Round trips to Dornoch twice.  18-36-36.  Combined with 4-5 rounds in the  North.  Such a great treat to play great courses several times in succession.  Did 36-36 at Royal St. George’s last year and same joy of discovery. 

Garland Bayley

I have been a skier in the past. I felt a need to go to different ski areas, because I could put myself on the ski slope wherever I wanted to. Therefore,  skiing one area became repetitive.

I have never been able to do that on the golf course,  so each round is unique.

Maybe I should hire Jeff to teach me how to make a course boring. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jeffwarne

I have been a skier in the past. I felt a need to go to different ski areas, because I could put myself on the ski slope wherever I wanted to. Therefore,  skiing one area became repetitive.

I have never been able to do that on the golf course,  so each round is unique.

Maybe I should hire Jeff to teach me how to make a course boring. ;D

It's funny you bring up skiing Garland.
I nearly alwys ski the same mountain on a 3-5 day trip, and feel lost the first day trying to figure out the mountainif .
ONce I do figure it out, I tend to stick to the same runs-albeit on a somewhat different line through the woods (much like my golf)

Andy Stamm

I've done it at Cruden Bay. I've done it many times at St Andrews, but I don't just play one course while there, so that's different. I'd certainly have done it just the same if limited to the Old.

Adam Lawrence

I've done this at Machrihanish, but that was pre the Dunes. Even if you don't want to go to Dunaverty or Carradale for a change of scene it'd be silly to be there for a week and not play MD.

Similarly, I could easily see a week in Rock based around playing St Enodoc a bunch of times. But I'm sure I'd end up nipping up to the Point to see my friends there (and because their food/hospitality is off the charts good) and I think an excursion to Trevose via the ferry across the Camel and a cab would be a lot of fun too. Actually when I have thought about this trip I have figured that I would probably rather stay in Padstow and take the ferry across the river to play golf. Unfortunately it doesn't run in the evenings, though I think there is a water taxi service you can use.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Thomas Dai

One course over and over, too much IMO, but a few not-to-far-apart courses and one or two accommodation bases, that's different and Buda at Carne worked awfully well in this respect.
Mulranny, (even some pre-Mulranny), Carne/27 several times, Enniscrone/27, County Sligo/Strandhill and then off into the wilds of Donegal etc for several folks.
Two/three bases for a few days each.
Buda at Brora/Golspie has the potential to be very similar given the other courses in that neighbourhood and even slightly further afield.
atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back