News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Wellmon

Castle Suart opening day photos
« on: July 23, 2009, 11:43:03 AM »
I was fortunate to play Castle Stuart on opening day on Monday July 13th on a sunny and essentially windless day. CS is very visual. Great conditioning and very playable. If Kingsbarns has the water, CS has the sky. It's "Americanized" but would I go back? Definitely. I'm a better photographer than a writer...................
Thanks to Ben for his help on posting the pics.

The opening tee shot:

Second tee shot:

2 green:

The first 3 holes play along the Firth on a lower level:

The third:

The fourth turns away from the water, and uphill:

The next holes play on an upper terrace including the 6th:

The 7th:

The 8th:

9 returns to the clubhouse:

10,11 and 12 return to the lower level. 10 has an alternate tee from this tee shot as well:

10 approach has a hidden bunker:

Short par 3 11th:

13 tee shot:

13 green has the "infinity pool" look where the green feel like it's in the sky.

Par 3 17th:

Par 5 18 approach:

Carl Nichols

Re: Castle Suart opening day photos
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 11:45:35 AM »
Thanks for the pictures.  Looks like you had a great day.

That clubhouse looks incredibly out of place.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 11:49:26 AM »
Carl -

The proprietors were going for an "Art Deco" look with the clubhouse, along the lines of Royal Birkdale.

The views from inside the clubhouse looking out are spectacular.

Bruce W. -

Great pics. Thanks for posting. I have toured the course a couple of times while it was under construction and you have captured the look of the course very well.

www.castlestuartgolf.com

DT
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 11:52:49 AM by David_Tepper »

Rob Rigg

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 11:54:35 AM »
I do not think I have ever seen that many "infinity greens" on a course - looks like there are five or six - even several on the upper tier of the course have that quality.

Great pics Bruce!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 11:56:46 AM »
Carl -

The proprietors were going for an "Art Deco" look with the clubhouse, along the lines of Royal Birkdale.

The views from inside the clubhouse looking out are spectacular.

Bruce W. -

Great pics. Thanks for posting. I have toured the course a couple of times while it was under construction and you have captured the look of the course very well.

www.castlestuartgolf.com

DT

I kind of like that nautical Art Deco look, very appropriate looking out to sea.  Can't wait to see Castle Stuart.  Was it playing as firm as it looks?  Do all the caddies wear those red shirts?  That's a pretty formal look for Scotland, where I've never seen any two wearing the same thing except the over bibs on the Old Course.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »
That doesn't look particularly art deco to me, though I suppose it vaguely resembles a cruise ship.  In any event, whatever they were trying to do, it doesn't seem to fit -- especially considering the other buildings you can see from the course (including what looks like a castle)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 11:59:29 AM »
OMG! Thts 2 die 4!

Anthiny Grey
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 12:00:22 PM »
That doesn't look particularly art deco to me, though I suppose it vaguely resembles a cruise ship.  In any event, whatever they were trying to do, it doesn't seem to fit -- especially considering the other buildings you can see from the course (including what looks like a castle)

That one hole, uphill with the eponymous castle in the backgrouind, looks spectacular.  

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 12:07:21 PM »
That doesn't look particularly art deco to me, though I suppose it vaguely resembles a cruise ship.  In any event, whatever they were trying to do, it doesn't seem to fit -- especially considering the other buildings you can see from the course (including what looks like a castle)

That one hole, uphill with the eponymous castle in the backgrouind, looks spectacular.  

Anytime your caddie can tell you to aim at a particular turret, you're playing a cool hole -- but this one looks particularly good.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 12:10:52 PM by Carl Nichols »

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »
Bill -

The hole you are referring to (#4, with Castle Stuart in the background) is a slightly uphill par-3.

It provides the first real view of the Castle and it is quite stunning, as you do not see it the Castle at all until you step on to the 4th tee.

A hole or two later, the course also provides the requisite view of a cemetery.

DT    

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »
The clubhouse does have incredible views from inside.
It's quoted as "art deco."
Since you don't see the castle and the clubhouse together.................Do you build a fake castle clubhouse which detracts from the real castle or ?????? Was THE nicest clubhouse of our trip inside.
The caddies were all in uniform.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 12:32:08 PM »

Bruce

Many thanks for the pictures.

I have had to look at them all a few times, but I still cannot see a Wow factor, perhaps need to play it but just judging on the photos, no its not as I expected.

I expect it is me, but something seem missing, something seems to have been forgotten but you just can’t say what.  The photos with the castle are nothing special as we see them everyday of our lives, but can understand the affect on others. Perhaps that is it, the course is trying too hard to attract visitors and not enough to woe us other old GB wrinkles.

Given the course the benefit of the doubt, when I get round to playing I expect it will be on the list. Yet I still feel something is missing, weird.

Melvyn 

Norbert P

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »

It has Distinctive Course Features.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 12:37:05 PM »
Melvyn,

I think most of the photos were too close up to give a good idea what is there. Past threads have shown longer views of the stunning topography and hole make up.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ryan Crago

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 12:39:05 PM »
It's "Americanized" but would I go back? Definitely. I'm a better photographer than a writer...................

Bruce:  What do you mean by "Americanized"?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 12:45:30 PM »
Bill -

The hole you are referring to (#4, with Castle Stuart in the background) is a slightly uphill par-3.

It provides the first real view of the Castle and it is quite stunning, as you do not see it the Castle at all until you step on to the 4th tee.

A hole or two later, the course also provides the requisite view of a cemetery.

DT    

Is there also the mandatory caravan park?  I noticed that Kyle Henderson spotted one at nearly every course he played!

JMEvensky

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 12:51:09 PM »

The caddies were all in uniform.

At first,I thought it was a Texas Tech outing.

Thanks for the pictures.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 12:54:51 PM »
On my trip I played CS, Nairn, Dornoch, Kingsbarns, Gleneagles King's, and The Old Course.
By "americanized" I mean more user friendly. Guinness draft vs Guinness stout.
At Nairn, for example, the fairways are more narrow. More penal for a miss into the love grass.
Whether it was CS being new, and not mature in the "rough", I felt it was more forgiving. Less penal. More senic.
Get the tourists like me to come back.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it greatly. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 12:55:10 PM »
Bill M. -

Alas, no caravan park, but that in no way detracts from the experience. ;)

As you will recall, Dornoch, Brora & Golspie all have caravan parks adjacent.

DT

Norbert P

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 01:04:05 PM »
  I find the dichotomy of the two bunker styles interesting.  Shredded bunkers seem to be in the periphery while revetted bunkers occupy the fairways.  Both are remarkably crafted.   And ya gotta love the "rumple".
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

David_Tepper

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 01:04:35 PM »
Melvyn HM -

I have been told that Castle Stuart has one of the most distinctive and unusual towers (pediments?) of all the castles in Scotland.

DT

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »
Thanks very much, Bruce. That's my first look at CS, and actually the first time I've read anything at all about it -- I guess I haven't been paying much attention for some reason. It looks just lovely to me -- if Sean Arble had posted these pics and told me they were of a course designed 80 years ago that flies a little under the radar, I would've believed him.

Peter

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 01:09:20 PM »
Bill M. -

Alas, no caravan park, but that in no way detracts from the experience. ;)

As you will recall, Dornoch, Brora & Golspie all have caravan parks adjacent.

DT

Other than St Andrews and Elie, I'm hard pressed to think of a course that DOESN'T have one adjacent!  The one at Crail is almost an integral part of the course!

David_Tepper

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 01:10:21 PM »
Slag B. -

Using the 2 different bunker styles (stacked sod and "chunked") was a very conscious choice by Parsinen & Hanse. There are also a number of areas on the course where railway sleepers are used to shore up bunkers and slopes.

They wanted to capture the period between the wars where all the styles were in use on golf courses in GB&I.

DT  

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 01:12:49 PM »
Slag B. -

Using the 2 different bunker styles (stacked sod and "chunked") was a very conscious choice by Parsinen & Hanse. There are also a number of areas on the course where railway sleepers are used to shore up bunkers and slopes.

They wanted to capture the period between the wars where all the styles were in use on golf courses in GB&I.

DT  

David,

Thanks for that info...I was wondering why the various bunkering styles were used.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back