News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garrett McKnight

Ireland dilemma...
« on: July 31, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »
I'm putting a group together for a trip next year. We are looking to play Royal County Down, Royal Portrush and Ballyliffin on the first leg. The second leg is giving us some problems...do we go Carne, Co. Sligo and Enniscrone or do we go back to Dublin to play Portmarnock, The Island and Royal Dublin.

I played Royal Portrush, Ballyliffin (both), Rosapenna (both), Portstewart and Portsalon last summer. This time I'm taking 16 guys back across.

Any help on the second leg choice would be helpful.

Thanks!

David_Tepper

Re: Ireland dilemma...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:36:27 PM »
Garrett M. -

If you are playing Royal Portrush, I would highly recommend playing nearby Portstewart and Castlerock. Both courses are very good. I would also recommend playing the 2nd course at Portrush, the Valley Course. I have played all 4 of those courses.

Ardglass is not far from Royal County Down. I have not played it, but I am sure it is worth a look.

DT

hhuffines

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:40:27 PM »
I would probably pass on Ardglass.  County Louth?

Ted Harris

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:09:36 AM »
It depends on how much driving you want to do but Carne, Enniscrone and County Sligo are pretty magical

Martin Toal

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 02:46:41 AM »
Lots of great choices to be made. I agree that if playing Portrush, it could be worth staying locally and playing Portstewart and Castlerock. Both courses are pretty near. The Bushmills Inn is a good choice for comfortable but characterful accommodation, and if you like whiskey, so much the better. By the way, The Valley (at Portrush) is a great course too. Ballyliffin is about 1hr 45mins drive from Portrush.

I would say that for an authentic Irish experience, the Carne, Enniscrone, Rosses Point (Co. Sligo) leg is more soaked in local character and charm. Portmarnock is a great course, although not all love it, The Island is great, but Royal Dublin gets mixed reviews and is not very high on the list of 'must plays'.

I think the itinerary depends a bit on your arrival and departure points from Ireland, and how much time you have. If your trip needs to take you to or from Dublin Airport, then Baltray (Co. Louth) is worth considering. It is up the east coast about an hour from Dublin Airport, and could be included en route from RCD. If your arrival/departure point is Shannon, I would probably drop the Dublin leg entirely and stick to Northern Ireland and Carne etc. 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 03:17:37 AM »
Lots of great choices to be made. I agree that if playing Portrush, it could be worth staying locally and playing Portstewart and Castlerock. Both courses are pretty near. The Bushmills Inn is a good choice for comfortable but characterful accommodation, and if you like whiskey, so much the better. By the way, The Valley (at Portrush) is a great course too. Ballyliffin is about 1hr 45mins drive from Portrush.

I would say that for an authentic Irish experience, the Carne, Enniscrone, Rosses Point (Co. Sligo) leg is more soaked in local character and charm. Portmarnock is a great course, although not all love it, The Island is great, but Royal Dublin gets mixed reviews and is not very high on the list of 'must plays'.

I think the itinerary depends a bit on your arrival and departure points from Ireland, and how much time you have. If your trip needs to take you to or from Dublin Airport, then Baltray (Co. Louth) is worth considering. It is up the east coast about an hour from Dublin Airport, and could be included en route from RCD. If your arrival/departure point is Shannon, I would probably drop the Dublin leg entirely and stick to Northern Ireland and Carne etc. 

+1

David Davis

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 03:54:28 AM »
Dublin and surrounds are a great way to end your trip IMO. However the European Club is a must, then Portmarnock then you can add one or both the others you mentioned. The Sligo route is also great but far off the beaten path and worthy of a trip in and of itself as is the mid to south - west coast. A lifetime of amazing golf in Ireland...so hard to choose so you should really just play them all.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 06:16:41 AM »
Dublin and surrounds are a great way to end your trip IMO. However the European Club is a must, then Portmarnock then you can add one or both the others you mentioned. The Sligo route is also great but far off the beaten path and worthy of a trip in and of itself as is the mid to south - west coast. A lifetime of amazing golf in Ireland...so hard to choose so you should really just play them all.

I would recommend Louth, The Island and Portmarnock.  Much easier travel and your group would be near Dublin for its departure.  Skip Ardglass.

Bart

Tim Johnson

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 06:52:22 AM »
Garrett
Depending on what time next year you travel, the new 9 at Carne may be open and by the looks if it, it will make a great course even better.

My 2 cents, go the Carne, Enniscrone and Sligo route. It will give you 2 great courses through the dunes and Sligo gives you more the classic links course. It will be 3 great days of golf for you and your mates.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 08:54:52 PM »
I really hate driving in and around Dublin. The West of Ireland is a magical place. Golf is fine either place but if I were taking a bunch of guys I'd go west.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 09:01:30 PM »
Don't pass on the European Club, have a draft or three with Pat Ruddy.  Really neat guy.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 11:09:34 PM »
Stay Northwest unless the guys will expect/need.caddies.  Go to Dongal / Silgo while everyone is heathy enough to go without a caddy?
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »
I agree that the European Club and Pat Ruddy are both Irish wonders. The course is good and Pat is one of a kind.  If you do go to Dublin, take the trip south to TEC.  Make a side trip to Glendalough.  Fascinating place of early Irish monasticism and one of the most beautiful inland places in all of Ireland.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Garrett McKnight

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 12:56:25 AM »
Thanks for all of the help...I appreciate it.  It looks like we are going with this line up:
Portstewart
Royal County Down
Ballyliffin
Royal Portrush
Carne
Enniscrone
Co. Sligo

Should be an adventure, 16 guys - one bus and a ton of Advil.  I'll make sure to check back before we go to get recommendations for pubs in Portrush and Sligo.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 01:43:30 AM »
Thanks for all of the help...I appreciate it.  It looks like we are going with this line up:
Portstewart
Royal County Down
Ballyliffin
Royal Portrush
Carne
Enniscrone
Co. Sligo

Should be an adventure, 16 guys - one bus and a ton of Advil.  I'll make sure to check back before we go to get recommendations for pubs in Portrush and Sligo.

Garrett I hope that isn't your order of play.  Portstewart and Portrush are no more than 5 miles apart!  Otherwise seems like a great trip.

Which Ballyliffin are you playing?  I played Glasheedy ad wished I'd played the old.  I also preferred both Rosapenna Sandy Hills and Portsalon to it.

Finally you still haven’t mentioned Airports. If Shannon is involved then you need to think about Lahinch for great golf and stress free travel.
Sligo to Belfast is under 3 hours.

Ed, isn't Pat Ruddy teetotal?  When I was there TEC must have been the world’s highest ranked course with no alcohol license.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:59:51 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 05:44:50 AM »
Rather than start a new Ireland thread, I'm going to go ahead and ask another Ireland travel question here.

I'm flying into Dublin on Sunday morning August 12 and have tickets to the Galway - Cork hurling match later that day. This will be my first experience with hurling or Croke Park. Any suggestions for the day and best places to park at Croke Park. I'll be driving to Portrush after the match.

Thanks

(I'll be with my 13 year old son so sitting in a pub is not an option but could play golf or other local activities)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:54:31 AM by Bill Gayne »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back