News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Here's my new layout with an overlay of the old layout.  A lot of holes were only tweaked slightly, widen fairways, moved greens, etc., but there were some significant changes.  I still struggled with getting out of the top corner of the property (6th tee) and finding a workable solution to 1,9,10,18 around the clubhouse.  It was like a puzzle that I couldn't solve.  This is the best I could do.

Some of the changes include:
1 - Same basic hole, but changed the orientation, namely to make room for a new 9th hole
2 - Lengthen the hole to hopefully a more interesting greensite
3 - Old 3rd was my least favorite hole.  The new 3rd is my favorite new hole and possibly favorite hole overall.  I wish I had thought of it before. (see below)
4 - I liked my old risk/reward 4th but scrapped it for the new 3rd.  Same basic concept with the pond coming into play, but as a downhill par 3.
5 - Shortened the hole, moved the tees up and moved the green in closer to the large drop-off left.
6 - Added a short par 3.  No margin for error, but with a short iron in hand.
7 - Added downhill, potentially drivable par 4.  I widened the fairway a little and removed the far left of the middle three bunkers from what's shown above.  More of a transition hole but should be a good chance for birdie.
8 - Since I was no longer teeing off from the top of the mound on my old 4th, I could make this hole go around this hill and dare the golfer to go over it.
9 - Changed the old 8th into a reachable par 5 9th.  If the golfer can carry the deep bunker the bisects the right half of the fairway, the right side offers a elevated and level lie and better angle into the hole.
10 - Instead of a long, dogleg left up the hill, I moved this hole up the left side of the mound, mostly to make more room for 1 & 9.  I like the bunkers down the left side, similar to Doak's hole in this same area.
11 - Moved the tees right slightly and lengthen the green, both to make more green visible.
12 - Widened the fairway to the left...a big drive down the left offers a better view and more level lie for the 2nd shot.
13 - Added (a lot) more fairway, both down the left side around the esker and up on the plateau short and to the right of the green.  (see below)
14 - Changed the fairway orientation slightly to make room for the added fairway on 13.  Added an alternative tee box right next to the 13th green to shorten the walk.  Moved the middle bunker on the 2nd shot to make the right side landing area more inviting as originally intended.
15 - Change the fairway and middle bunker slightly
16 & 17 - No change
18 - Moved the green further up the pond.

I toyed with the idea of adding some extra holes just for kicks, utilizing the far west corner of the property.  I thought about adding a green to the right of my 14th (essentially where the real EH 14th green is), that a golfer could play as an alternative
par 4 from the 14th tee.  Then an extra hole that mirrors the real 15th, then a par 4 that goes over the pond and back to the original 14th green.  Are there any real course with this type of alternative set-up?  I think Cog Hill had some kind of alternative holes but I've never seen them.  Unfortunately, I don't see another two holes that could be 'swapped out' to get back to 18 holes, but why not throw in a little variety?  Probably not smart from a maintenance perspective, but fun to at least think about.

Two holes in more detail -

3rd Hole - Par 4

I really like this new hole, probably because it reminds me of a poor man's Ballyneal.  Wide fairway up the hill and in between two mounds.  250 to the flat spot at the top of the hill which offers a clear view of the green.  Hit it weak left and you're still in the fairway but face a blind approach shot.  The right side shortens the hole and offers a better view, but the deep bunker on the right comes into play.

13th Hole - Par 4

Similar to my old 13th but with an added twist.  I added the right finger of the fairway on the plateau that's essentially level with the green.  This hole is best from the third tee box up as it offers three different options from the tee with different pros and cons based on the hole location.  The right side is a longer carry (the line is 280) but offers a view to the green and would be particularly advantageous if the pin is back right.  The other two options are essentially the same as before: carry the cluster of bunkers left and have more green to work with on the approach.  Play it safe down the middle with no forced carry and be left with an uphill approach to a narrow green.  Too crazy?

Charlie Goerges

Jim, I like the changes (despite the fact that you caved to the USGA already) as the routing seems to "flow" better. The new 3rd looks terrific and the new fairway on 13 looks like a viable option for the back pin. I also think your 1, 9, 10, 18 work just fine. You solved that riddle more efficiently than the real thing. It required 19 holes to do it.

I must say that as I work on my own routing for the fun of it, my problem is fitting 18 holes on the property. It's hard to make compromises in order to fit the required number of holes sometimes (nevermind cramming an extra hole on the property). You've done some pretty efficent work to so effortlessly fit in so many good holes. And I know you didn't have much time when working on it originally, so kudos.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back