News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

The Valley Club of Montecito, updated (complete)
« on: March 09, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »

"I have not the slightest hesitation in saying that beauty means a great deal on a golf course; even the man who emphatically states that he does not care a hang for beauty is subconciously influenced by his surroundings. A beautiful hole appeals not only to the short but also to the long handicap player, and there are few first rate holes which are not at the same time, either in the granduer of their undulations and hazards, or the character of their surroundings, things of beauty in themselves."- Alister MacKenzie

The Good Doctor must've had The Valley Club in mind when he wrote this, amongst his many other masterpieces. I was extremely fortunate to recently experience this magnificent place with 2 other GCAers and our most gracious host and I left being mesmerized once again by my favorite architect. I wanted to present and share with others some history and photos of this truly special place. This will be a 3 part presentation.

The beginnings of golf in Santa Barbara started in 1894 and the founding of the Santa Barbara Country Club with the clubhouse occupying the grounds of the present Biltmore hotel on Channel Drive, a fabulous place my friend Jon Spaulding and I enjoyed breakfast at before arriving at the club. The course broke ground nearby in the fall of 1895, "a grassless nine hole affair" that was amongst the earliest in California. Eventually, the club in the early '20's acquired more land and founded what would become the Montecito Country Club, an early course of a friend of MacKenzie's and a great architect in his own right, Max Behr. In early 1928, some members of this club wanted to start a new one and upon hearing of MacKenzie's visit to Los Angeles, invited him to look at the present site and he accepted the commision, signing an agreement with the club to build the course with Robert Hunter in October of that year. The course broke ground the following month and was completed in December of 1929. Below is an aerial of the property before construction.

Once again, the formidable duo of MacKenzie and Hunter would work hand in hand, just as they had at The Meadow Club and Cypress Point Club, with Hunter carrying out the Dr.'s design. The Valley Club is often considered Hunters most personal effort, as he moved to Montecito with his wife to carry out the details of the design and living out his days there as well as being a member. As a side note, Hunters son, Robert Jr. would head up MacKenzie's construction firm, The American Golf Course Construction Company. 

Below are the plans for the course taken from the club's history. The first is the West side of the road (clubhouse side) that divides the course, Sheffield Drive, and the second is the East side. Note that Hunter's name is listed first.

Of the two, the East side contains the more interesting land with MacKenzie and Hunter utilizing a hill, much like they did with the dune at Cypress Point, to great effect as you'll see in the photo's.

The club in 1942 used the East side for a Victory Garden for the war effort and thus operated as a nine holer with a par 3 hole near the driving range to make up the difference, which is still used to this day for those who wish to not cross over Sheffield. In 1946, the club brought William P Bell to restore the course to the original design as both MacKenzie and Hunter had passed away. More recently, the Renaissance Group has completed work that brought back the spirit of MacKenzie's and Hunter's bunkers and recaptured lost green surfaces as well as bringing back the closely mown areas around the greens. Doak and Urbina are to be commended for their painstaking efforts and the wonderful job they did. Our host commented that the membership is quite pleased with the results. And now, the journey begins. After turning off of East Valley Rd.....

The Valley Club has one of the most serene settings I've ever experienced. With one of the best clubhouses in golf overlooking the Channel Islands, it truly is a breathtaking place.

Next to the clubhouse and above the practice tee are 2 cottages, the lodgings of John Grant and MacKenzie in Geoff Shackelfords novel, The Good Doctor Returns.

Not much has changed in the wonderful locker room.

So we come to the first tee, which was originally built as a par 5. Today, it's a 462 yard par 4 from the tips. Upon acquiring a scorecard, you also are given one of these.

No, the course does not contain yardage markers and these are your lifeblood if you wish to successfully navigate the course.

Our tee shot

a little closer...

The greensite..

...looking back to the tee...

..the falloff on the right side of the green..

Looking back from behind the green

..and a vintage photo..

An early aerial of the hole...

A view of the surrounds from the 2nd tee. To the left, the 14th green. Everything is maintained at one mowing height.

The 2nd hole's tee shot. Par 5, 503 yds.

From the fw...

...and a little closer...

...and from the right...

We now cross Sheffield Drive over to the East side of the property and we start with one of best holes on the course, the 457 yard par 4 3rd, with our tee shot crossing over Picay Creek.

"It is not the love of something easy which has drawn men like a magnet for hundreds of years to this royal and ancient pastime; on the contrary, it is the maddening difficulty of it."- Robert Hunter

From the edge of the creek...

...and a little closer...

..from the left...

...looking back.

And old aerial.

And a look of the green from the 12th hole and across the creek...

We now climb the hill that MacKenzie and Hunter took full advantage of that comes into play for the first time. It serves as the tee for the next hole, the beguiling 143 yd par 3 4th.

"Hazards-how well chosen the name! They are risks; and penalties must come to those who take risks and fail."-Robert Hunter

The 422 yd par 4 5th.

From the left side of the greensite....

Note again the closely mown area that flows right into the 6th tee....

The short 298 yd par 4 6th.

We have now reached the end of part one. In part two, we will return to the hill, depart from it and then return once again and then conclude the East side of the course before recrossing Sheffield.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:01:03 PM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Rob Rigg

Re: The Valley Club of Montecito (part 1)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:33:36 PM »
Thanks David - this is great work.

I do not recall playing a course with tee areas that are mown at the same height as the fairway and flow directly into them in places.

Is it a bit strange at first?

Is this a walking only course? Great to see all the lads with their push carts. Seems like the VC is a real classic - ie) a very unique experience

Tim Book

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:38:13 PM »
Thanks David,

One of those private gems in our state that you always wonder what it is like.  I definately have a better appreciation because of your post. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:42:44 PM »
David, great research and narrative of a wonderful course, the old photos and aerials are super.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 10:02:21 PM »
David,

Yes, very cool.  Well done and thanks for sharing.

Now ... if only we could do the same for Sharp Park...

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 10:03:07 PM »
This really needs to be in IMO or someplace else on this site, not here where it will just disappear.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 10:32:45 PM »
EPIC
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 10:36:04 PM »
Of all things, I enjoyed seeing the effects of old school fertilizer spreaders/ lack of understanding of how fertilizer works in the soil in the aerials.

Those spread patterns are like you see in the neighborhood after a homeowner goes to big box store and buys some fertilizer and a drop spreader......

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 10:44:28 PM »
Of all things, I enjoyed seeing the effects of old school fertilizer spreaders/ lack of understanding of how fertilizer works in the soil in the aerials.

Those spread patterns are like you see in the neighborhood after a homeowner goes to big box store and buys some fertilizer and a drop spreader......

;D

Joe, if you are talking about the different colored ovals in front of the greens, those are the temp greens the club used during the months of green construction (all were completely rebuilt, expanded and regrassed). 

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 10:44:47 PM »
Thanks David - this is great work.

I do not recall playing a course with tee areas that are mown at the same height as the fairway and flow directly into them in places.

Is it a bit strange at first?

Is this a walking only course? Great to see all the lads with their push carts. Seems like the VC is a real classic - ie) a very unique experience

Is it strange at first?

Im, sorry I really did laugh when I read that. But seriously its one of those things that makes you wonder why every course doesn't do it. And then you realize that cart paths and lawyers ruined it for everyone. After seeing it on the 3rd or 4th holes, (maybe both) I was sold. Glad to see it continued throughout the round when possible.

Ill post some of my pictures when i get a chance.

Nice thread David.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 10:46:44 PM »
Bill I think he is talking about this:

Check the left to right patterns on the fairway.

Gene Greco

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 10:47:24 PM »
This really needs to be in IMO or someplace else on this site, not here where it will just disappear.

Agreed.

David, this is just terrific and, as Matt stated above, does need to be posted in another section of this website as to be readily available for reference.

Great job!

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 10:48:47 PM »
Thanks for the assist, Ryan!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 10:50:07 PM »
Bill I think he is talking about this:

Check the left to right patterns on the fairway.

Not sure when those aerials were taken, but my guess is the '30s.  It doesn't look like that today!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 10:51:06 PM »

;D

Joe, if you are talking about the different colored ovals in front of the greens, those are the temp greens the club used during the months of green construction (all were completely rebuilt, expanded and regrassed). 

Bill,

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I did say "aerials", however........ ;D

Joe

James Bennett

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »
Terrific David.  Brings back some memories for me.  My visit was a foggy morning - you have been blessed with sunshine.

The short grass is wonderful isn't it.  My take after the visit was about how great Lakeside could be if they adopted a similar approach.

One other aspect that really got me was the adept use of multiple tees.  Like so many Mackenzie courses, they have a back (?blue), members (?white), ladies (?red)and seniors (?green) tees.  On any other course, 4 sets of tees would look cluttered.  But the tees are either well spaced or occupy the same ground.  In the latter case, the ladies and senior teeing area will comprise a single red marker and a single green marker.  The uncluttered nature of the course set-up is in every detail.

I didn't realise there were no yardage markers - it goes with the uncluttered appearance.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 11:04:25 PM »
great stuff, thanks for posting!
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
Excellent work with all this David - sure has me looking forward to upcoming installments. Love the old B&W photos and the colour plan was a surprise - I had only seen the B&W version that is in the Doak book on Dr Mac. Is the club history book worth seeing?

Tim Bert

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 11:37:19 PM »
David - Great tour!  Love the mix of the old and the new throughout.

David Stamm

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 11:44:04 PM »
I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.

James, it was a perfect day. We were very fortunate.

Neil, the book is most certainly worth having, as James can attest. It's one of the best club histories I've seen. The plans you see are hanging in the men's grill.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 11:55:08 PM »
David,

Some years ago on GCA there was talk of OWNING a golf club. My wish was that of all the places on the planet I would covet, would be the Valley Club of Montecito.

A perfect place with the perfect climate.

And for the sartorially dissolute, they welcome shorts.

Bob

James Bennett

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 12:12:12 AM »
Excellent work with all this David - sure has me looking forward to upcoming installments. Love the old B&W photos and the colour plan was a surprise - I had only seen the B&W version that is in the Doak book on Dr Mac. Is the club history book worth seeing?

Neil

call around and you can borrow it!

James
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark Hissey

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 12:20:42 AM »
One of my favorite golf courses anywhere. A fantastic place.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 01:09:02 AM »

..from the left...

"Hazards-how well chosen the name! They are risks; and penalties must come to those who take risks and fail."-Robert Hunter

Is it just me or does this first pic of the greenside bunker to the par 4 3rd remind anyone of the greenside bunker left of the 10th ... at Pasa?

And this "ring around the green" bunkers remind anyone of the ... restored 13th at Pasa?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 09:14:23 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 01:36:02 AM »
That's a FW bunker on #3 Valley Club, about 1/4 the size of #10 Pasa in all directions, and 1/10 as interesting.

#4 VC the bunkers are more in play, especially with the front pin. The hole is a great relief after the absolute ball-buster that is #3; which might be the toughest "unconverted"  Mackenzie par 4 on the West Coast.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back