News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: NEW COURSE @ GULL LAKE?
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 12:53:56 PM »
Tom;  Experience is right, I first played one of the Gull Lake courses in 1971.  Does anyone know if the bluegrass is onre of the new "low mow" bluegrasses that are relatively recent developments?

It is.  We were fine with that choice because it performed brilliantly at Rock Creek.  Before that, I'd been skeptical, since seed salesmen have been touting "low mow" bluegrasses since the 1980's, and most of them were no such thing.  Today's choices are much better.  You can't mow them under 1/2 inch, so some will still dismiss them, but they can be a very good surface even for chipping areas.

Howard Riefs

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:53:24 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ken Fry

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2016, 10:26:05 PM »
I played a preview round last weekend and can report I'm very excited to play the entire course next season!

The course is generous off the tee and most greens allow run up shots to accommodate lesser skilled player.  From the back tees, the angles and levels of the teeing pads make for some challenging tee shots.  The greens find that happy medium of playable for high handicap players and fun and challenging for the better player.

There's a lot to like about the course.  After holes 1-3, you transition onto the back nine and play holes 10-18 in order.  The property becomes rambunctious with amazing elevation changes.

On my drive away from Stoatin Brae, the two words that constantly came to mind were generous and fun.  If anyone is in the area, I'd recommend stopping in.  The tees, fairways and greens are in very nice shape.  The surrounding areas are still rough as you would expect.  I'm looking forward to experiencing holes 4-9!

Ken

BCowan

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 06:59:30 AM »
Ken,

Thanks for posting. Really excited for SB next year when it's grown in more.  A june 36er at SB and BCCC is in order Sir, followed by Arcadia Brewery!

Matthew Essig

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 10:22:01 PM »

I guess something good did come out of my time there! They used my idea for the top shot bunker(s) on 12!
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Matt Glore

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 05:55:33 PM »
Has anyone gotten out to the full 18 yet?  The hard open is May 15th.  I talked to the pro shop about getting a tee time and they have let play on it as a preview.

BCowan

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 09:36:47 PM »
Matt,

Some MI GCA buddies of mine are playing it this weekend. Looking forward to their opinions. 

Ross Harmon

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2017, 06:20:44 AM »
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:22:48 AM by Ross Harmon »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back