GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

NGLA - Golf's enchanted journey

<< < (2/18) > >>

Ed Oden:
Patrick, I can't imagine a better opening hole.  I love everything about it.  Don't you think the green is what really makes it all work?  Its got to be one of the best anywhere.  Interesting to hear that you hit driver off the tee.  In a crazy way, is that almost the "safe" play since the approach from the lay up area is no bargain?

--- Quote from: Patrick_Mucci on February 04, 2009, 09:16:18 PM ---The 18th green, surrounds and approah along with Sebonic Bay in the distance lie to the north providing a splending view of land and sea.   And, that magnificent, huge flag pole that sits to the right of the 18th fairway, with its majestic American flag is quite a site.
Behind you, is a fascinating coastline and the Bay.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Patrick_Mucci on February 04, 2009, 09:16:18 PM ---An elevated spine runs down the center of the green with bowls feeding off it left and right.  The old back left bowl, which was next to impossible to stay in, has been softened/removed.

--- End quote ---

Here is picture of the 1st green from the 17th tee showing the spine and a pin position in the back left bowl:

How was this portion of the green "softened"?

Thanks for this thread!

Ed

TEPaul:
CharlieG:

That low aerial photo you offered above is amazing to me. I hardly recognized the hole and that perspective makes it appear almost grotesque and not even remotely identifiable compared to what the golfer sees at this eye's view.

The various forms and perspectives of photography of golf holes are certainly interesting and different.

"What's the carry over the bunker on the left?
(Understand that the picture doesn't take the undulations of the ground into account)
There seems to be the opportunity to bomb it down the left and  leave a lob wedge out of the rough."

ChipRoyce:

I really don't know what the carry distance is over those bunkers on the left. Standing on the tee, the deal is you can't see anything in that area---the bunkers, the fairway etc. All you can see (at least from the back) is the fairway when it starts to rise near that right bunker.

I guess I've hit that tee shot a hundred times in somewhat recent years and I never used anything except a 2 iron. I think it's a wonderful 2 iron tee shot because the wind is generally coming right to left and it seems almost impossible (at least to me) to aim too far right. And for some reason it's also a tee shot that I just want to hit a big swinging draw. But on NGLA's #1 you are not going to see your tee shot if you hit an iron until you get down there!

I've only been in those bunkers once and early on in my years after getting back there and I sure didn't miss that 2 iron; I thought it was perfect but when I got down there it was in one of those bunkers. After that my last thought was always to just remember to aim farther right than seems apparent and after that it always worked out fine with just some wedge to the green from the base of the fairway.

I guess I'm unusual because all the rest including most all the bigger hitters just tee it up with drivers and take their chances at the green. That play never seemed right to me---eg maybe something slim to gain but a lot to lose!  ;)

This hole for the good and long player just may be the closest thing I know to Riviera's 10th from the tee as the biggest "tease" strategically on a tee shot! The holes are of about similar length but they could hardly be more different looking or more different in their architectural arrangment. Matter of fact, NGLA's #1 just might be the most unusual opening hole I've ever known!

Peter Pallotta:
A real good day on gca.com - TE riffing on Pine Tree in the 50s, and now Patrick on his beloved NGLA. I wish I had a "wild applause" emoticon - big head, little arms and tiny hands clapping wildly.

Patrick - thanks for this. A question: the first seems a prime example of a golf hole that offers the much-vaunted "scoring spectrum", i.e. anything from a birdie to a triple is possible.  With its relatively short length, it reminded me of the 1st at Garden City -- but I don't remember anyone mentioning that hole having such a wide scoring spectrum. I know you love the hole, and to me too it seems terrific, but in geneal -- do you think it's a good thing for a FIRST hole to have such a wide scoring spectrum?

Thanks
Peter

John Mayhugh:
Great title for an even better topic.  The first hole has to be my favorite starting hole anywhere, with a wonderful green that plays so much smaller than its size.  

As Bill McBride noted, the aerial view doesn't do the contours of the hole justice. In general, this hole is an outstanding example of how different the perspective can be from the ground.  

From the tee it's hard to feel confident about what club to hit and the line to commit to.  I can see how there are all sorts of approaches people might take off the tee, but clearly the tee shot is the only place you can be aggressive.  I didn't have any range time before starting and was thrilled to avoid the deep rough.  Actually, fear of hitting the clubhouse also briefly crossed my mind.  For me, the bunker on the right was great to have as an aiming point, but it's also pretty intimidating.

Here's a look at the hole from the left rough as you walk down from the tee.

A look as you near the fairway.  You can see some of the contours that Bill mentioned.  Here on the left side the green is barely visible.  It gets much worse from the right.

I hope never to visit this back left bunker again.

You can see a bit more of the green contouring here.

Finally, one artsy image from the left side.

Is it too early to nominate a favorite thread of 2009?

K. Krahenbuhl:

--- Quote from: Patrick_Mucci on February 04, 2009, 09:16:18 PM ---It's fun to stand on the 2nd tee and watch the approaches into that green.

--- End quote ---

This could be said about a lot of the holes out there.  I don't think there is any other course that I have played where I would have more fun just walking around and watching players hit shots.  It is a fantastic achievement of the design, as well as the maintenance, that you would be out there a very long time before you would see the same shot with the same result twice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version