GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

AZ golf -- My Ten Best ...

(1/27) > >>

Matt_Ward:
One of the more unique states that has grown in terms of overall golf development (at least until the most recent of times) is Arizona.

As many people will be making their winter plans I have been reviewing the many different courses I have played in the Grand Canyon State over the last 25 years.

No doubt there's been plenty of people who have influenced the overall scene but I have to say that Jack Nicklaus has been the key figure in bringing to life the many unique elements tied to desert golf.

No doubt desert golf will not be everyone's cup of tea. The 90-acre max rule does place a major limitation on just what can be done there. Nonetheless, the state has clearly sought to add its own dimension to the golf picture here in the USA.

With that in mind I'm prepared to leap off the cliff of public opinion and present my choices for the best layouts I have played in the state.

1). Desert Mtn / Chiricahua (Scottsdale)

Came later (Match 1999) in the mix of different courses Team Nicklaus has brought to life at this unique complex of layouts all under one roof through the vision of Lyle Anderson. Truly has the best routing and most diverse holes one can play in the state. The land provides a real intersection with the desert and the first three holes start the round in grand fashion. The short par-4 2nd at 290 yards still rates for me one of the very best short par-4 holes Team Bear has brought forward.

Jack also has included his usual strong par-4 ensemble and the back-to-back 9th and 10th at 485 and 427 yards are both stellar holes.

No doubt Nicklaus deserves credit for introducing his style with Desert Highlands but it is Chiricahua that takes what he did there 17 years earlier and brings it to the fullest completion.

2). Forest Highlands / Canyon (Flagstaff)

Tom Doak said it best with his course analysis in CG. When it opened it demonstrated the capacity to have great golf in a locale that few had ever envisioned because of the very short season. Weiskopf / Moorish made it a point to include a number of par-3 holes in order to handle the amount of distance players can gain because of the elevation. Works quite well. The par-4 9th still possesses for me one of the most stunning settings for any golf hole in such a environment.

3). Desert Forest / Carefree

No doubt the course that paved new ground years before all the fanfare of desert golf actually took off. Credit to the club for keeping so much of its winning formula front and center. Desert Forest may turn off many people because you need to really handle one's tee game throughout the round. Slight mishits that may be playable with other layouts don't work out here as easily.

Got to say the 5th -- the par-4 at 453 yards is a real joy to play and one of the best holes to play in the Valley of the Sun vicinity.

4). The Estancia Club / Scottsdale

Without question, Tom Fazio's best efforts are here to see. The Estancia Club is also one of the best conditioned courses I have ever played. But the qualities of the layout go far beyond overall grooming. Fazio did a superlative job in routing the holes in and around the immediate area just under Pinnacle Peak. You have to work the ball and the combination of holes is quite good and the terrain encountered is really THAT good.

There's plenty to speak about at Estancia -- but I have always enjoyed the manner by which Fazio included holes that don't require much length but precise placement -- the uphill 342-yard 10th and the short 137-yard par-3 11th come quickly to mind. 

Tom Fazio is often the punching bag for many here on GCA -- if you really want to see him at his best then Estancia is one of those places that requires a visit for those fortunate to get on this gem.

5). Whisper Rock (Lower 18) / Scottsdale

Phil Mickelson and Gary Stephenson created some of the most thrilling greens you can play in the state with the original 18-hole layout at Whisper Rock. The greens aren't set above or below many of the actual fairways and you need to think especially hard to reach the optimum angles into the putting surfaces. Give credit to the duo for using a wash that criss-crosses a number of holes throughout the round.

Unfortunately, the course has somehow been lost in the shuffle with so many other new courses popping up into the scene. The second 18 -- by Tom Fazio -- makes for a 36-hole complex that is truly one of the very, very best in the USA that I have played. Although I list the original 18 as the pick I'd more likely include both courses for special recognition.

6). The GC at Chapparal Pines (Payson)

For those seeking a ponderosa pines location that combines beauty and golf design head to this marvel in Payson -- about 75 minutes from the Scottsdale area.

The Rim -- located across the street has been the layout that has drawn plenty of praise -- and its quite an eyeful -- but the sheer diversity of holes is a good step or two behind Chapparal Pines. Gary Panks, along with David Graham, have created a layout that ebbs and flows through the stunning landsite.

Forest Highlands / Canyon gets plenty of fanfare but Chapparal Pines is only a minor step behind in its overall presentation and quality.

7). Stone Canyon (Oro Valley)

Like Weiskopf, Jay Moorish was more identified through the time these two gents spent together. Plenty of their earlies collaborations have receivced plenty of ink but I see the work they carried forward in a solo capacity that is really noteworthy.

When you first play Stone Canyon it's hard to keep your jaw from falling off because of the dropdead beauty that you experience. Moorish combined the natural scenery with a membership course that is not a back breaker but has just enough of an edge to keep you on your game. The closing hole has to rate as one of the most beautiful I have played throughout all of AZ.

8). Silverleaf (Scottsdale)

When Weiskopf decided to move out on his own I was very much interested to see how he would fare. Silverleaf eschews the style of being seen as other desert courses are usually viewed as being especially demanding.

People often cite his other efforts -- Troon North / Monument w Jay Moorish usually comes to mind. Ditto the tandem's effort at Troon G&CC. But both of them pale when held against the likes of Silverleaf. Playability is front and center at Silverleaf but there's enough meat to make the course more than just some sort of post card picture fest.

Hard to ever forget the shared back tee area for the exciting and long par-3 16th and the demanding just under 500 yards finale.

Weiskopf provides plenty of preferred landing areas but getting to them requires a good bit of navigation from the player. At the same time, to his considerable credit, you don't get the punishing routine for the player who is not up to getting to those locations. One of the best examples in providng members with a course that has great elasticity and it's a quality that I have seen with a number of his courses since going solo in his design career.

9). Desert Mtn / Geronimo & Outlaw (Scottsdale)

I could not decide between the two so included them both for the 9th position. I was a real fan or the original Geronimo course -- the layout in its original form was a real bear (no pun intended) to play but it possessed so many fun and demanding holes. I really enjoy the starting hole there -- the par-5 provides an elevated view of the Tonto National Forest that abuts the property and it is quite a scene indeed.

Unfortunately, the folks at DM decided to abort the original par-4 13th at 478 yards and the darling and really exciting short par-4 14th at 329 yards. The latter was one of the best short holes that Nicklaus had created that I had played.

No doubt many might see the Geronimo as being just too demanding -- Doak's comments in CG said that. I always enjoyed the course because when it first opened it was so isolated from all the clutter -- you could truly enjoy the golf and the desert experience. The closing par-3 with the Geronimo statue in the back of the green brings you home in fine fashion -- just be sure to avoid the front left bunker.

Outlaw is the last course to have opened at DM and I am a big fan of the place because of non-design factors such as walking being permitted and the permanent absence of housing when playing the course. Nicklaus moved dramatically away from the aspects of aerial golf and high demand tee-to-green demands with holes that require more positioning and careful deliberation.

For some reason I hear many of the members don't like the course but I have to question if they see the benefit of firm and fast turf conditions and the manner by which Team Nicklaus created green sites that are as varied as any you can play throughout the state. Outlaw is pure fun golf -- the main deficient item that I see is the very narrow green encountered at the 338-yard 10th hole but that's just one small demerit among the total time spent there. Jack used double greens twice at the site and they are well done.

10). Rancho de los Caballeros (Wickenburg)

Gets little attention because of its somewhat remote location. Have to say among all the places I have ever visited in AZ, Rancho de los Caballeros provides the maximum array of different activities and offerings than any other facility that can be accessed by the public at-large. The golf is a design effort from Hardin & Nash and winds its way through the property without being overly crafted -- a common problem with so many other desert courses.

Honorable Mention in no particular order ...

Vista Verde
The Rim
Desert Highlands
The Gallery / North
Blackstone
Apache Stronghold (if they ever get it into consistent shape)

Andy Troeger:
Matt,
Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. I haven't played at Desert Mountain or Whisper Rock so some of our play doesn't overlap. Have you played Seven Canyons or the newer Meadow layout at Forest Highlands? Both of those would make my top ten in Arizona. Pine Canyon in Flagstaff is supposed to be a good effort, but I haven't seen it yet.

Forest Highlands is my favorite course in Arizona by quite a bit. As you said, the 9th is amazing, and the 17th/18th stretch might be the best finishing two holes in the state. The par threes, while frequent in the middle of the round, are varied and all good holes. The 10th is my favorite of the bunch I think.

Ryan Farrow:
No mention of Papago Park!!!!

Positively, Bar-None, The most Absolutely, Ridiculous list I have ever seen, 10 X's Worse than any readers poll list could ever imagine.

Matt_Ward:
Ryan:

Appreciate your noise making.

Please knock yourself out and post your listing.

Be most curious to try to understand your thinking.

Andy:

I've played the other courses you mentioned. Seven Canyons is stunning for the off-site scenery but the overall layout is less than what Weiskopf has done elsewhere. I am also not a fan of the amount of trees encountered there and how close they do intrude on a few holes.

You need to play the layouts at DM and WR -- they represent for me at least a real connection to what bonafide desert golf can be like. I've played Pine Canyon in Flagstaff and it's a fine layout from Jay Moorish -- just not as good for me at least -- as the original 18 at Forest Highlands and Chapparel Pines. Ditto for the Meadows at Forest Highlands -- I liked the layout but the first two choices I have mentioned for golf designs within the framework of the ponderosa pines is a good bit better with fewer weaker holes.

I do concur with you about the original 18 at FH. First rate design with plenty of interesting shotmaking situations.

John Foley:
Matt - Thanks - very good stuff.

Two questions..

- what holds back Stone Canyon from being #1?? I thought it was out of theis world.

- why no WeKoPa? I liked CHolla alot but though Saguaro was off the charts.

Those two would be my 1 & 2 just curious what you think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version