News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

herrstein

Seth Raynor Society meeting announcement!
« on: May 02, 2003, 06:46:58 PM »
Fellow Afflictees:

The time has come and now is for the announcement of this summer's Third Annual Monthly Quarterly Biennial
SETH RAYNOR SOCIETY MEETING!
All Raynorphiles are welcome.
We meet to have fun, play golf, argue, learn, and amuse ourselves with opinions informed and malformed.
Here's the deal:
The Seth Raynor Society will hold its Annual Meeting at Wanumetonomy Golf and Country Club in Middletown, R.I. on  June 25th - 27th 2003. The cost is $150.00 per person.

Clubs are allowed to enter 4-man teams in the 2-day Seth Raynor Cup. The Seth Raynor Society encourages clubs to include their superintendent, head pro, club president and green chairman or other club officials in this event. Individual players may attend as well and are allowed to compete for the Seth Raynor Cup individual prize.

Checks should be made payable to, Seth Raynor Society, c/o Doug Stein, P.O. Box 5246, Chattanooga, TN 37406.

We are deeply indebted to Waunamatonomy Golf Club for making their facilites available for such a great price, and we look forward to seeing you there.

You can respond and get more information at www.sethraynorsociety.org.

I welcome responses on the list and will do all I can to answer same, but as many of you know, I have a day job that precludes my actively reading the list as often as I will upon my retirement, now dreadfully postponed until 2037, unless my ex remarries. So, if I dont respond promptly, send an e-mail to me at herrstein@aol.com.
Tony Pioppi is serving as Executive Director and Chief Bunker Raker, and you might send logistic questions to him.
Hotel accomodations are available and details are on our website.
Come on and Join us for a good time!
Doug Stein
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

David Kelly

Re: Seth Raynor Society meeting announcement!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 10:18:58 PM »
The period at the end of the URL you posted is messing up the link.

This works:
http://www.sethraynorsociety.org/
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2003, 04:11:55 PM »
Doug and gents,

The timing of this is too good to be true.  I am very interested in attending both the Matt Ward organized Forsgate/Banks course on June 23-4 and travelling on to the Seth Raynor gathering in Rhode Island the following 3 days.  I'd be happy to hook up with someone who wants to do the same.  I'm thinking of driving out from Wisconsin (although I might fly to Newark too... and rent a car).  I'd meet whoever might want to make this 5 day event and we could share room at Princeton then on to R.I. and then I'd drop you off where you need to go after the SEth Raynor...

If anyone is interested in this, e-mail me.  We will see if the Forsgate scheduling comes through, and then I think I'll be making plans to do these two events if they come together, regardless if I find a golf partner on this trip...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 10:54:44 AM »
Participants will be graded on their bunker raking techniques.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 03:51:58 PM »
Tony or Rhode Islanders,

Can you share any insight to Wanumetonomy?

herrstein

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 06:04:32 PM »
Keep in mind that I am an advocate of placing bunker rakes in Raynoresque bunkers with handles out, rake heads in. This prevents balls from hanging on the slopes. getting caught by the lip, and makes retrieval and placement easier. Grades will be given strictly according to whim and attitude- proper attitude being that raking is a courtesy extended to your fellow competitor, as with kicking in or filling divots, and complaining about misfortune in a bunker is intolerably poor form. Complaints as to fairness will be ignored, as is proper in golf.

Second: I am pretty sure that Waunamatonomy has had some recent work by Ron Prichard. I have only seen pictures. The Waunomatonomy contingent at the last two Raynor meetings has been particularly congenial and fun to be around. I hope they will chime in about their course, which I very much look forward to playing.

Doug Stein

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2003, 01:55:33 PM »
According to George Bahto, the club was built with help from T. Suffern Tailer. Raynor was designing the Ocean Links 9-holer next to Newport CC, for him when Tailer hired Raynor to design Wanumetonomy as well.

Have not played it so can't give you much more than that.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2003, 04:52:42 PM »
Tony,
Can I just mush the sand around with my foot or are you requiring formalized raking?
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2003, 11:12:29 AM »
Jim,

Since it is not my course, formalized raking will be requred. If it was up to me, mushing (I'm going to steal this word) would be the only way to care for bunker sand.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2003, 04:36:05 PM »
I'm bringing this thread forward to see if anyone has further comments or plans they'd like to share regarding this SRS meeting and golf tournament.  I am planning on being there for all three days.  I haven't yet been able to get through to pro shop for a request for a practice round on Wednesday, however.  I was wondering if anyone else has one scheduled and if they perhaps have an unfilled 4some.  I then plan on bouncing around New England for about 6 days after the event.  The weekend on Cape Cod and then VT and NH.  ...gotta take the wife somewhere... ;D ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

herrstein

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2003, 07:25:41 AM »
Well, Dick,
I am planning on a practice round Wednesday myself. Louis Murphy from the Club has indicated no problems getting off in the afternoon after 2 p.m. or so....
There's a big clam bake and lobster broil Wednesday night, too!
Other courses on my personal agenda:
Black Rock GC (Mass)
Newport CC
Misquamicut
In addition to the three rounds at Waunamatonomy.
Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Doug Stein

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back