News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: Long Putters
« Reply #200 on: June 28, 2015, 11:37:07 AM »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #201 on: June 28, 2015, 03:25:10 PM »
What will Bernie Langer do?

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/golf/article25626547.html

As a matter of fact, I spoke with someone within the last couple of weeks who is aware of what Langer is working on.  He quoted Langer as saying that he will most likely go back to a conventional putter, but he is also experimenting with side saddle to see if it works for him.

I think the issue for a guy like that, or any pro for that matter, is that their margins are so small that learning to putt facing the hole after a lifetime of standing to the side is a much different undertaking than it is for somebody like me.  Randy Haag, a top senior amateur from CA who has putted this way for many years at the highest levels of amateur golf, estimates that it would take professional players a full year to gain sufficient distance control to putt well enough to play at that level.  Really, a year isn't that long UNLESS you are talking about playing for a living...

But I think you'll see somebody, or several, on some tour putting sidesaddle next year.

The funny thing about it is that when somebody asks me why I am putting sidesaddle, I can give them at least three answers that make sense to anybody: It's the way you would roll a ball to a spot, you're looking down the line with both eyes, and it's a single lever action that is VERY simple.

But when I turn it around and ask them why THEY are putting the way that they do, they look at me like I've lost my mind.  And then have no answer, except that that's just the way you putt...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

David_Tepper

« Reply #202 on: June 28, 2015, 03:33:25 PM »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #203 on: June 28, 2015, 07:42:07 PM »
Side-saddle putting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quAHmoukSWQ

David,
These two are a bit better.  Manzella is using a putter not really made for what he is doing, but it gives you the idea.  Randy Haag (first video) is one of the better senior amateurs in the country, and has putted sidesaddle for nearly 20 years.  The second guy is PR Dionne, who builds and sells his own model specifically for sidesaddle. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9NI430i59U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS_pttryOlc
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

David_Tepper

Long Putters
« Reply #204 on: June 28, 2015, 09:18:14 PM »
A.G. C. -

Thanks for the links. Living in San Francisco for 40+ years and being a member of Olympic for 35+, I know of R. Haag's exploits very, very well. ;)

DT 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:33:49 PM by David_Tepper »

mike_beene

« Reply #205 on: June 28, 2015, 10:25:54 PM »
KJ Choi went sidesaddle for a short time a few years ago. Not sure how he did with it but he didn't stay with it long.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #206 on: June 29, 2015, 07:50:53 AM »
KJ Choi went sidesaddle for a short time a few years ago. Not sure how he did with it but he didn't stay with it long.

Choi did it at the British Open, I think, and played only one round that way.  I think that he had only worked with it a few days before he did it "live", and at that level that's a recipe for disaster. 

While I'm only a little ways into the conversion, I'll say that on putts of 4' and in I was as good Day 1 sidesaddle as I had been conventional, and maybe a little better.  The learning curve for longer lag putts is where the rub is.  Not a big deal for someone like me, but for a pro, life or death.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #207 on: June 29, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
A.G.

Inside of 6' is where I need the long putter or side saddle putter.

Outside of 6' I'm fine with the short putter.

I have no problem carrying two putters.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #208 on: June 29, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »
A.G.

Inside of 6' is where I need the long putter or side saddle putter.

Outside of 6' I'm fine with the short putter.

I have no problem carrying two putters.

Then by all means, give it a try.  I don't think any of the various things that plague golfers on shortish putts are anything but better sidesaddle.  Again, looking down the line with both eyes and then making the stroke with a single lever motion from the same position from which we roll a ball or throw darts or shoot free throws is about as low maintenance as anything I can imagine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back