News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

I'd heard and read from the archives, and from Lakewood's web page, that Travis 'redesigned' the course in 1920.  Well, I've unearthed a 1919 article from the Philadelphia Inquirer that would likely suggest that this was basically 18 new holes, and not a renovation.  

I think a few here will find this very interesting.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:31:01 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Cirba

Re: Lakewood CC in New Jersey revisited
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 04:15:48 PM »
Joe,

This is an absolutely marvelous find.   

I played Lakewood a number of years ago and really enjoyed it a great deal.   It certainly is something of a museum piece.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 04:17:43 PM »
Joe,

This is an absolutely marvelous find.   

I played Lakewood a number of years ago and really enjoyed it a great deal.   It certainly is something of a museum piece.

I think I'm going to try to get to Lakewood this week.  If you (or anybody else) would like to join me, send me a PM or e-mail.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 04:25:13 PM »
Joe:

Kudos for listing the article.

I've played Lakewood countless times -- in fact, the course was one of the legendary "shore courses" for so many north jersey players when foul weather arrived for late fall and during the winter portion.

One of the more unique holes was the par-3 15th which had the initials "LCC" carved out as a bunker in front of the hole. I have not been back in quite some time.

The stretch of holes from the 12th through the 15th was well done because of the nature of the terrain and the way the fairways / greens were neatly shaped.

Be happy to join any group interested in getting together there.

Lots of fond memories on that layout.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 04:45:22 PM »
Joe,

See my IM.

Matt,

How good are the greens? Being a big fan of Travis, I would like to see it. I have never really heard of this place.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 04:48:27 PM »
Mike:

LCC has gone through its up and downs over the years.

I can remember my last time there and a six foot putt required no less than a John Daley shoulder turn to get the ball to the hole.

I have not been there in a number of years but given the Website and the $$ that's been brought forward I'd have to say it could not be worse than my last time I played there.

Before the surge of golf took off in Monmouth County and Ocean County the two benchmarks "shore" courses were Lakewood and the former Atlantis (now The Golf Course at Ocean County). Both were rather unique during the dark and cold days of winter.

JeffTodd

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »
Joe, have you seen the course's history page from their website? It's quite extensive, and it seems to affirm the notion that Travis constructed new holes.

"...by which time the golf course had been completely revamped by Walter Travis. That work took place during the summer of 1920. Although occupying the same site as its predecessor, not a single hole from the original design remained untouched."

http://www.thelakewoodcountryclub.com/history.php

I agree with Matt Ward's assessment of 12-15. IMO, the best stretch on the course. Sadly, it is followed by #16, a horseshoe shaped par five that is the weakest hole on the course, IMO. 

When I last played there, probably in 2003 or so, the stretch of 4-7 was very disjointed. The par four 5th, with the center line tree, was completely closed. Instead, an awkward par 3 hole had been constructed in its place, playing at a right angle from the original line of play and using the existing teeing area. #6 was also a one shot hole that was awkwardly routed, and along side it was another fairway and green that were unused. I'll be curious to hear how that section of the course has shaped up, or not.

As always, Joe, I'll look forward to seeing your photos.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »
Jeff, thanks for pointing that out... I should have read more closely!

Mark McKeever

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 03:58:35 PM »
Bump.  This may be a good course to do a Winter executive tour?!? ;D  I know a friend of mine was out there yesterday.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 04:05:17 PM »
Not sure I would describe Lakewood, NJ as a "Winter Resort."  ;)

Mark McKeever

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 04:14:31 PM »
It's a resort to anyone who has looked out their window and sees the ground covered in snow for the last two months!

In all seriousness, I may decide to pay them a visit next Sunday if anyone is interested.

Mark

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
It's a resort to anyone who has looked out their window and sees the ground covered in snow for the last two months!

In all seriousness, I may decide to pay them a visit next Sunday if anyone is interested.

Mark

Interested.

Mark McKeever

Re: Lakewood CC in NJ: now executive tour restarted for March 16th
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 08:25:07 AM »
Paging Doug...

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 12:22:58 AM »
I was going through my notes on Lakewood (in all of its iterations), and it struck me how the history of this club tracks the development of golf in the US leading up to the Golden Age.

First, you have the very early GC of Lakewood, laid out by Willie Dunn in 1893, extended to 18 holes in 1896.

Second, the Ocean County Hunt & CC (which would change its name to the CC of Lakewood) is laid out by Horace Rawlins in 1897.  The same 9 hole course would be remodeled by R. B. Wilson and George Lawson in 1900.

In 1898, Bendelow comes in and builds a new 18 hole course for the GC on new land.

In 1902, the CC and the GC decide to merge, abandon both of their existing courses, and build an entirely new course on a new site.  Around 8 years later that course is given an update, before finally being replaced by a new Travis creation in 1920.

Both of the pre-existing courses survived in some manner, the CC course being incorporated into part of Rockefeller's Lakewood estate, and the GC course being run by a hotel as the Pine Forest CC.

Just by my count, between 1893 and 1920 there were five separate new courses built in Lakewood, involving two major early players in Dunn and Bendelow, and culminating in the work of one of the greats of the Golden Age with Travis.  The amount of activity, the transition from early resort to members club, the descriptions of changes from cop ridden battlefield to ingenious bunkering schemes and the constant battle to keep up with the length of the "modern" game are all benchmarks of how the game itself was changing in its early years in the US, and how courses were adapted to reflect changing styles and to present a consistent challenge.

Are there other examples like this that present a full panorama of the development of early US golf?
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Pat Burke

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 12:52:53 AM »
Played there in HS matches a few times.
First time, I remem[size=78%]ber thinking, where did this place come from?[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Thanks for posting this[/size]

Joe Bausch

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 04:22:49 AM »
Photos of Lakewood from a visit last summer:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/Lakewood/

MCirba

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 05:17:38 PM »
It seems that the club doesn't know who designed their "new" golf course in 1903 after the merger of two competing clubs in town and their mutual abandonment of their respective courses (as Sven mentioned above).

Today I came across the following article from a Buffalo (NY) paper published in April of 1902 (corroborated with other articles that mention he did it in cooperation with Jasper Lynch, Club Secretary, so hopefully Mr. Willie Norton will get belated due credit.   

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back