GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Is Tall Fescue Overdone?

<< < (7/7)

JR Potts:

--- Quote from: Patrick_Mucci on July 23, 2008, 04:55:20 PM ---Jim Sweeney,

I don't think it's the height as much as the density that's the problem.

More and more of these areas are being irrigated and instead of having that whispy look, the Fescue is lush and thick.

Some new clubs want to appear to be mature, like they've been there for decades, and as such, introduce Fescue in a lush form to give the appearance of maturity.

Turning off the irrigation would go a long way toward preserving the effectiveness of the look and the hazard without the severe penalty produced by lush Fescue.

--- End quote ---

I think that Pat hits the nail right on the head with this issue.  I've found that in newly constructed courses in the Midwest that employ fescue, the grass is fair and playable for the first several years...after that, it becomes unbearable.  The Glen Club in Glenview, Illinois comes to mind.  There, the fescue is so think that they would be better served digging it all up and making the fescue a water hazard instead.  That way, at least when hitting it two inches into the stuff, I can take my penalty and drop...rather than looking for it in a two sqaure foot area for 5 minutes then having to walk back to where my last shot was struck while adding a stroke. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version