News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Genius
« on: June 15, 2008, 10:08:07 PM »
I began the day listening to Mozart.

I ended it watching Tiger Woods.

And I will always think of them together, from now on:

Tiger Woods is the Mozart of golf.

Mozart was the Tiger Woods of music.

Let's hope that Tiger lasts decades longer than Mozart.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Will MacEwen

Re: Genius
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:12:40 PM »
Is Rocco Tiger's Salieri?

Note:  knowledge of Mozart essentially limited to movie.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 10:15:14 PM »

No. We are all Tiger's Salieri.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom Yost

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 11:49:24 PM »

No. We are all Tiger's Salieri.

Years from now, the PGA nursing home will be filled with old codgers retelling stories and muttering about "the creature."

Jim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 12:03:54 AM »
In the movie, Salieri resented Mozart -- even resented God for giving Mozart his other-worldly gifts, while withholding them from Salieri himself.  "Resent" is not strong enough.  Salieri hated Mozart. 

I don't get the sense Rocco resents Tiger and I'm sure he doesn't hate him.  In terms of ability and achievement, of course, no one can touch Tiger. 

BTW, that story about Salieri and Mozart did not start with the movie.  It goes back to Mozart's time.  In the 1830's, one of the great Russian poets, Pushkin, wrote a play titled "Mozart and Salieri", on the same theme.  In Pushkin's story, Mozart is even more of an idiot savant, and Salieri ends up killing him out of envy/hatred.  Don't think Pushkin made that up, either.  As I recall it, the rumor had been floating around since shortly after Mozart's death.   

Will MacEwen

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:12:11 AM »
I was referring to the whole killing thing, not the resentment thing.

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 12:15:19 AM »
In the movie, Salieri resented Mozart -- even resented God for giving Mozart his other-worldly gifts, while withholding them from Salieri himself.  "Resent" is not strong enough.  Salieri hated Mozart. 

I don't get the sense Rocco resents Tiger and I'm sure he doesn't hate him.  In terms of ability and achievement, of course, no one can touch Tiger. 

BTW, that story about Salieri and Mozart did not start with the movie.  It goes back to Mozart's time.  In the 1830's, one of the great Russian poets, Pushkin, wrote a play titled "Mozart and Salieri", on the same theme.  In Pushkin's story, Mozart is even more of an idiot savant, and Salieri ends up killing him out of envy/hatred.  Don't think Pushkin made that up, either.  As I recall it, the rumor had been floating around since shortly after Mozart's death.   

Actually, the movie takes a few licenses (surprise, surprise) when portraying Salieri and Mozart's relationship. Salieri was actually a gifted composer and he and Mozart enjoyed a mutual respect for one another. The rumor of Salieri's plot against Mozart is something that has foated around for years, but there has never been any evidence to support it.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 12:23:58 AM »
Salieri is clearly Phil Mickelson.

Very talented?  Check
A worthy foe?  Check
Understands the game?  Check
Headed towards lunacy in the wake of Tigers success and utter brillance ?  Check and double check.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 03:14:40 AM »
Actually, the movie takes a few licenses (surprise, surprise) when portraying Salieri and Mozart's relationship. Salieri was actually a gifted composer and he and Mozart enjoyed a mutual respect for one another. The rumor of Salieri's plot against Mozart is something that has foated around for years, but there has never been any evidence to support it.

For sure the movie took licenses.  (Real mild ones compared to Pushkin's play.)  But Mozart respected Salieri??  I'd like to see some indications of that.  I always thought Mozart understood well his position in the world of music, and had little time or patience for his artistic inferiors.  Which was basically everyone. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back