News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

ANGC vs. Torrey Pines
« on: June 15, 2008, 09:54:04 PM »
Now that TP has delivered the knock out blow to Pebble in how its architecture is clearly superior to Pebble's in the results it delivered, its clearly time to move on to bigger fish...

In light of this past years snooze-fest at Augusta, Torrey can make a very good case to be the superior course due to architecture inducing drama much more so than Augusta.

Right now I gotta take the JK viewpoint and say Torrey Pines is clearly the leader after the events that transpired over the last 4 days.

Please discuss and compare/contrast.

jeffwarne

Re: ANGC vs. Torrey Pines
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:10:28 PM »
due to architecture or setup?

14 at Augusta would be great from 267 >:(
why not 11 from the member's tees? ;)

I guess Torrey would've been a snooze fest if 25-30 mph winds had blown at the players on the reachable holes-or if Tiger hadn't made those bombs.

Tiger was 2-3    6 footers from making it a great masters

I thought Torrey exceeoed expectations
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Nugent

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:37:18 PM »
Kalen, you can add TOC to Torrey's list of giant killers, too.  The last two British Opens there were Tiger blowouts.  I remember that many people complained of the boredom. 

Torrey is just marching up the list of world's great courses. 

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 11:44:40 PM »
I am not certain if Torrey is marching up any list of great courses, at least not architecturally great courses. I suppose a course can be a really great course for tournaments and such and not be architecturally great. I think from a standpoint of architecture Torrey is very average with a few sporty holes running along the Pacific.

--Its certainly not a better golf course than Augusta, just maybe better for tournaments. But we also have to consider the sample size of this indepth statistical analysis we are doing here. 6 or 7 recent Masters events to 1 Open at Torrey. Hold the Open there 8 more years in a row and see if there aren't a few sleepers in there.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 11:46:23 PM by J. Kenneth Moore »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 12:01:13 AM »
Now that TP has delivered the knock out blow to Pebble in how its architecture is clearly superior to Pebble's in the results it delivered, its clearly time to move on to bigger fish...

In light of this past years snooze-fest at Augusta, Torrey can make a very good case to be the superior course due to architecture inducing drama much more so than Augusta.

Right now I gotta take the JK viewpoint and say Torrey Pines is clearly the leader after the events that transpired over the last 4 days.

Please discuss and compare/contrast.

Kalen,

I'm not sure whether you are in need of prozac or valium, but take something for your condition and return when you are feeling better.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:22:14 AM »
Garland,

Its not by my logic or lunacy that I use in making such outlandish threads in here.  That lies squarely in those who continue to make thier claims of a courses worthiness based on how well Tiger does in a tourney.  I'm only taking thier claims out to thier natural conclusion.  And thanks Jim, TOC must be thrown in there as well

If Tiger blows out his knee on day 1, and this is a Rocco/Westwood battle to the end, this whole things gets panned as a complete snooze fest and calling for heads to never return to TP.  Its all pretty lame nonsense, and while the press continues to spew it, I wouldn't expect it to get propogated in here as well....

Oh well

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back