News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/golf/article4069064.ece

I remember when I was in high school in the early 1980s, waking up at 3:00am to watch ESPN showing taped highlights of some great Seve - Langer matches.

Before seeing Wentworth the only UK courses I had ever seen on TV were The Opens.  It was a wonderful chance for a young golf enthusiast to see what an English Parkland course looked like.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

David_Tepper

That is a real shame. Clearly, they have been having problems drawing a high-quality field for the event over the past 3-5 years. Very few of the top-ranked Americans have participated in recent years.

The Times article talks about the problem Wentworth has been having with its greens during the PGA tournament it hosts in May, but it makes no real connection between that problem and discontinuing the matchplay event, which is held in October.

Tom Birkert

I think this was coming. The fields haven't been great, HSBC pulled their sponsorship and it really had little relevance to the golfing world over the past 5 years or so.

My flatmate played with a European tour player the day after the PGA and he said the greens at Wentworth were the worst he'd ever putted on.

Personally I don't like the changes that have been made to the course (too many bunkers) and I think it is overrated. There are several other courses in the area which are either better value, better courses, or indeed both.

Mark_Rowlinson

Sadly matchplay is not popular with players, and when (as so often happens) the big names are knocked out early interest flags for spectators. The US PGA championship was once matchplay, and there were such events as the Inverness Invitational Fourballs, but they've all gone.

I have attended Matchplays at Wentworth and, unless you are lucky enough to get a press pass (as I did) and are therefore able to walk inside the ropes, it is very difficult to follow a match in its entirety, and fairly impossible to switch from one match to another, with routes from one hole to another blocked by private housing. For strokeplay it is far better from the spectator's point of view, because there are many great viewing points on a course of this gently hilly nature.

However, I think Wentworth is a very good matchplay course, because there is a way to attack every hole if you need to create a lead or catch up, yet in going for that option there is a great risk of slipping up, and short par 4s such as the 7th and 16th are cases is point.

My sadness at losing this is that the professional circuit is losing one of its last Golden Age courses. There is nothing in the south of Spain remotely comparable. What are we left with? The Open continues to be played on a links, and the Dutch Open is thankfully still usually played at Kennemer, Noordwijk or Hilversum. The German Open no longer visits Falkenstein, the Belgian Open no longer exists, the French Open has forsaken Chantilly and other old Parisian courses, the Italian Open probably won't return to Milano or Villa d'Este and the Spanish Open is very unlikely to return to Puerta de Hierro.

Alfonso Erhardt

Mark,

I have my doubts about anyone in Spain is willing to spend the required amounts to sponsor such an event, except for Valderrama.

Regarding Puerta de Hierro and the Spanish Open, although the idea has been mentioned a couple of times recently in the club, there are too many members that don't want the club to undergo through the hassle associated with hosting such an event. But some of us have not lost hope and would love to see the Open return to the club.

Andrew Mitchell

I don't know if I'm missing something obvious here but why does Wentworth's problems in getting the greens in top shape for the PGA Championship in late May be affected by the World Matchplay in October?  That seems to be the reason given for discontinuing the WM.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back