News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

Re: Golf World's Underrated Architects of the 20th Century
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2008, 06:16:49 PM »
Matt,

I do so hope the prize is a round of golf with you at a future date so I can witness your legendary prodigious length first-hand.

Mike
Mike,

Milton Berle was longer.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2008, 05:11:29 PM »

I want to change my answer:

The ghost of Red Lawrence

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2008, 09:27:51 AM »

Red    Lawrence

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2008, 10:49:08 AM »
Bang Golf

Matt_Ward

« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2008, 01:38:37 PM »
Some have asked for the reasoning behind the selections ...

1. NGLA (1909) -- Patterened after famous British holes by C.B. Macdonald, it becamse the role model for courses such as Merion.

2. Lido (1915) -- Macdonald again. First $1 million course, featuring a contest-winning 18th designed by unknown Alister Mackenzie. Sadly, it didn't survivie World War II.

3. Cypress Point (1928) -- Mackenzie's artistic triumph up the street from Pebble Beach led Bobby Jones to hire him to design Augusta National.

4. Pinehurst #2 (1935) -- Supposedly, Donald Ross' response to not being hired to design Augusta National. First course ever awarded a major (1936 PGA) before being completed.

5. Peachtree (1948) -- Bobby Jones' new Augusta National-type club in Atlanta done with obscure architect RTJ, was radical in its design, with enormous tees, greens and yardage.

6. Oakland Hills (1951) -- RTJ shed obscurity when, after he remodeled this old Ross design into a monster, Ben Hogan slayed it to win the '51 US Open, then villified Jones in the press.

7. Harbour Town (1969) -- Pete Dye's breakthrough course, with tiny greens bolstered by walls of railroad ties.

8. Muirfield Village (1974) -- Jack Nicklaus' breakout course near his hometown of Columbus. Nicklaus' insistence upon perfect conditions eventually raised the national standard at extraordinary cost.

9. TPC at Sawgrass (1981) -- Deane Beman trademarked the phrase "stadium golf" and Pete Dye gave it meaning. Viewers never had it so good, but tour pros never had it so tough, especially hitting the death-or-glory island green 17th.

10. Sand Hills (1994) -- Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore massaged a magnificent layout from the last frontier of American golf, Great Plains and dunes.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2008, 09:41:10 PM »

Lawrence, Red

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2009, 01:03:25 PM »
Alex findlay

William  and  David Gordon

Robert  white

Joel  Goldstrand

Mark,
I played a William & David Gordon course yesterday and was very disappointed.  The course was just "awkward" in many spots, had poor green complexes and a strange routing.  Course was desgined in the "dark ages" (late 1950's).

This was the first William & David Gordon I have played - are their other designs that good? 

Matt_Ward

« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2009, 01:16:27 PM »
Dan:

A sleeper Gordon layout is located in south Jersey -- called Buena Vista. Place started as a private layout in the 60's and then became public. I'm not suggesting it is a masterpiece but there's enough present to make the visit (no more than 100 miles) worthwhile.

The par-5 10th there has many similar qualities to what you see at PV.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #158 on: September 17, 2009, 04:08:50 AM »
I would second Gary Player. Have only played one of his courses, but it was great (Cihelny in the Czech Republic). If the rest are like this, he deserves a mention. What are his other good courses?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back