News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Delahunty

Port Fairy, Victoria, Australia
« on: April 23, 2008, 08:10:05 AM »
Port Fairy Golf Club is about 3 and a half hours drive west of Melbourne.  Because it's out of the way, it's off the radar for many golfer. However, it is one of the best public access courses in the state. It is possibly the closest mainland Australia gets to links golf.

The feature of the course is a ridge of dunes which run along the coastline which separate the sea from the course. However, several holes on the back nine run along the top of this ridge and two more run close to the ocean and could truly be described as links holes. The front nine plays on the protected side of the ridge with views across the coastal plains and an lough which runs into the township.

I was down in nearby Warrnambool last week for a court hearing and managed to get out on Thursday at around 5pm for nine holes at Port Fairy.  Took my compact digi and managed to take a few pics in the quickly disappearing light. It was a rushed walk around and the photos probably belie the amount of preparation for each shot - but that just goes to show what a photogenic course it is.

For any overseas visitors, it would make a great three day trip from Melbourne, combined with a trip along the world famous Great Ocean Road, the quaint township of Port Fairy itself and some sightseeing of a beautiful part of Victoria.

8th green from up 10th green

12th

13th

more to come...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:13:29 AM by Matthew Delahunty »

Matthew Delahunty

Re: Port Fairy, Victoria, Australia
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 08:11:43 AM »
14th

15th (it was just about dark by now and my buggy didn't exactly pass for a good tripod)

16th (I needed a searchlight by now)

Philip Gawith

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 08:44:16 AM »
Thanks for the pics Matthew. I would love to get there one day. A friend of mine's mum does the marketing and she will no doubt be delighted with your commendation! I think I recall reading Mike Clayton write a very friendly article about the course some time during the past 6-9 months?

Philip

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 08:56:17 AM »
Matthew

Thanks for the pics.  PF has long been one of those places I have wanted to see if I ever make it to OZ.  It doesn't seem as though courses like this are being built anymore.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 09:18:02 AM »
Sean,

Port Fairy would be testament that they are - it only became an 18 hole layout in 1985!

Mike Clayton has been overseeing the recent improvements.

If this course was within an hour's drive of a capital city people would be scrambling to play it - and in the process it would probably be ruined by people making changes.

The beauty in the course is its simplicity - carved by nature with a gentle human hand to assist.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 09:21:00 AM by Matthew Delahunty »

Terry Thornton

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 05:29:48 PM »
Matthew,

lovely pics, am planning a game there in a couple of weeks on the drive from Melbourne to Adelaide. A trip along the Great Ocean Road and a walk around Port fairy GC, truly one of life's simple great pleasures

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 05:35:43 PM »
Matthew,

lovely pics, am planning a game there in a couple of weeks on the drive from Melbourne to Adelaide. A trip along the Great Ocean Road and a walk around Port fairy GC, truly one of life's simple great pleasures
Well done. I'm glad you'll get the opportunity.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 06:30:32 PM »
Port Fairy is a great place.
It was build largely by members after the club moved from a poor site in the town.

These photos are of the most spectacular holes and for $20 a game and $400 a year membership its a pretty good deal.
The town itself is also one of the best in country Victoria.

Probably the easiest chance was putting the par 3 15th tee just off the back of the 14th green - the green with the white marker pole behind - to play across the dunes.
Almost unbelievably the old tee was 100 yards to the left of the 14th green and despite a terrific view out to see it was a quite mundane looking hole.

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 07:43:23 PM »
Matthew,
   Thanks for sharing. PF was on my list of courses for last year, but regrettably I am not independently wealthy enough to stay down long enough to do the interesting golf in Australia and New Zealand justice on one trip.
   I'll definitely get over there the next time.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 07:44:41 PM »
Is the first picture an original green, or is that more recent? The green seems to have a lot more movement and is more well-guarded than most of the rest.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 08:07:01 PM »
Ed

Port fairy is a wonderful place to play golf, very old world.

Mike Clayton has been involved in course changes and the 8th has been remodelled by Mike.

he has done some excellent work on the course with the holes through the original dunes quite stunning.

Andrew

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 08:20:28 PM »
Ed,

The first picture is the 8th - a short downhill par 3 where we did a new green.
I played there about six weeks ago and there were still a lot of bush and trees behind the green.

It looks so much better with the trees gone.
There were also trees all the way along the 14th blocking the ocean views.
It is the best hole on the course - and taking the trees opened up a fantastic view.

ed_getka

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 11:22:13 PM »
Mike,
   Well done on the 8th. Keep up the good work if that is any indication of what you have to offer them.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 08:13:12 AM »
Last year, a group of largely Melbourne based golfers headed to RACV Healesville, for the inaugural "Retro Day". All of us regular contributors to thegolfforum.com, and many regulars at GCA. We used clubs of various vintages - mainly steel shafts and persimmon with many forged irons and balata balls. Some used hickories, and McIntyre balls.

This year we headed out to Port Fairy for the second staging of Retro Day. It was a perfect venue for this celebration of all things vintage golf. The clothes didn't look out of place, and the course shone. Sparingly and intelligently bunkered, subject to a little wind, and firm turf among the dunes. Open green fronts and enough fairway width. Just a glorious day.

"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 05:31:52 PM »
It looks like you all had a joyful day to play.  My biggest regret of the trip was not leaving enough time to play PF, only a short walkabout with Shane.  It looks like I would imagine an Eddie Hackett course would present itself in Ireland.  Being out of the way a bit from the metro Melbourne area feels like a trip to Nebraska by our comparison.  And the golf is simple and pure like our Wild Horse.   ;D 8)

Did Shane play in your retro group? 

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 05:57:05 PM »
He did RJ. That's Shane in the second to last photo. He played very well, as usual !

Hope you're going well. Maybe you come and play a retro day on your next trip to Oz...

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 06:23:27 PM »
Did Shane play in your retro group? 

Hi Dick, I was camouflaged in my '80's gear! Hope to see you back at Port Fairy again one day.

A great day MattyM, and a pleasure to catch up with so many friends over the long weekend. The course is playing firm and bouncy at the moment which ideally suits the older equipment from hickory right though to persimmon.

For those unfamiliar with the course, there's a full course tour of Port Fairy here:

http://www.thegolfforum.com/index.php?/topic/6475-port-fairy-golf-links/page-1

Shane.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 06:29:08 PM »
I believe I see a Spalding RTJ/Calamity Jane putter in the bag of hickories and would that be an Original Sportsman putter in the bag with the Cobra blades?
atb

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 07:49:30 PM »
Shane, and so it is you.  I couldn't tell without a full on pic.  I think I have that same sweater as well.  If I can ever return, even if Cape Wickham would become the must-see, I don't plan on missing PF given a second chance.  ;D 8)

Don't forget that Brewer game awaiting you here.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:02:06 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 04:14:38 AM »
Saw some excellent photos on FB, Rich Macafee perfectly pulled the early 60s Arnie look. I bet it was a fun day on an excellent looking course.
Cave Nil Vino

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 04:22:06 AM »
I agree Mark. He did it with great aplomb!

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 04:30:25 AM »
Thomas, it is indeed a Sportsman Wizard in my bag, not sure if its an original (old) one though.

Dick, I will get there for a Brewers game soon, I promise.

A few more pics of the course and players:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back