News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl David

Re: 2015 US Open to Chambers Bay
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2008, 04:24:22 PM »

Kmoum,

Understood those are the average "max" temps, but the US Open is played over a roughly 12 hour time slot.  I think a 24 hr average temp is more accurate than a max temp that is only reached for what 1 hour of the day?

And come on, even the average high in June was still under 70 for that area.  69.3.   :D :P

I played all my golf for about 30 years in extreme northern Minnesota, and summer temps like those in Tacoma are almost ideal for golf. They're significantly warmer than July in Scotland, which I also find about ideal.

And don't forget, unlike US Open venues in the northeast, summer in Tacoma is the driest part of the year. That why there are so many pine trees up there, the deciduous trees don't get enough rain in the summer to compete with the evergreens that grow all winter.

For instance, Tacoma averages 1.59" of precip in June, while Oakmont averages 3.93". Winged Foot averages 3.44". Pinehurst 4.24".

Ken

Ken,
The stats are correct, but this is one of the little jokes we in Seattle like to play on folks.  The average rainfall always looks paltry compared to other areas as you showed. It shocks people when you tell them the number and they immediately think it is less wet than most of the country.  Untrue.  A more meaningful stat is how many days of rain there are.  The 1.59 inches of rain sometimes comes in 7 days of mist and spritz, where the 3 inches in Pittsburgh could be a thunderstorm on one day.  I am always amazed when it has rained for two weeks solid to find that total rain fall for the month is only a few inches.

I think mid June is iffy.  It could be fine or it could be 4 days of constant drizzle.  As was stated before, hopefully that won't matter due to the sand base.

George Pazin

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2008, 04:26:33 PM »
Congrats to the PW Nor'westers - hope I get out to see it before the Open. Not because I'm worried about alterations, just to enjoy the course.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Philippe Binette

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2008, 05:19:15 PM »
The big question:

Will the USGA bring REES JONES in to fix the course for the US Open

Garland Bayley

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2008, 05:33:39 PM »
The big question:

A big question for you. What needs fixing? ;)

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2008, 05:53:05 PM »
Obviously, they will at least make the fairways tighter and figure out what to do with the short par 4 12th.

Now, will they get Jr to do that or Rees?

PThomas

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2008, 07:08:05 PM »
Obviously, they will at least make the fairways tighter and figure out what to do with the short par 4 12th.

i say let the 2 of them duke it out on the first tee there , settle their battle once and for all, and the winner of course gets to do any tweaks to the course
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Cory Brown

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2008, 08:55:52 PM »
The weather up here can be a mixed bag in June it could be 55 degrees and raining lightly or 85-90 degrees and pretty hot.  Unfortunately, since CB is on the Sound and not on the ocean, it doesn't really get very windy especially that time of year.
I played Chambers last October and thought it was great.  I hope they don't narrow the fairways, but they probably will.  There is really no rough to speak of on the course except for native grasses.  Getting spectators around will be quite a trick as there are a few holes where a pull cart can't even get around without being pulled across the green.  For some reason the courses with fescue greens seem to accept that.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2008, 08:58:21 PM »
Justin I disagree. If anything, US Open should stick to new and PGA should stick to old.

US Open is a national championship that is "open" to all. I think you should have the same policy when selecting a venue and preference should be given to a public site like Chambers Bay.

This is doubly true when a part of USGA's charter is to promote the game. A course like Chambers Bay NEED to be able to host events like this to survive and thrive. And given the fan reaction during the US Open at Bethpage, hosting a US Open on a muni is likely to generate more interest from "average" fans. I doubt that Shinnecock is going to lose much if they never host another US Open.

At the very least, half of the US Open should be hosted by public courses.

what other public courses are worthy of a US Open? Not Torrey, in my view.  Courses like Pebble, Kiawah, Whistling Straits, and Pinehurst are public in name only.  That leaves you with what, Bethpage, Erin Hills, and Chambers Bay? 

Steve Kline

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2008, 09:16:41 PM »
Since I don't know - what do EH, CB, and Bethpage cost to play? What's the out of state rate for Bethpage? Why do you consider the others public in name only? I'm sure I know why, but I just want to hear what you say. Anyone can play them. Just because something is expensive does not mean it is not public. The others you mention sure as heck our public compared to Winged Foot, Oakmont, Shinnecock, and the other northeast courses that are used. Because if I could could play all the great courses in NYC for a few hundred bucks a pop I would. It'd be cheaper than a trip to Scotland playing the British Open courses. I know Bethpage had to hold rates for a period of time due to the U.S. Open contract but until they hold the tournament at a $20-30 muni I really don't care about the distinction. The difference between paying $100-150 and $300+ isn't that great. Plus for 95% plus of the people interested in playing any of these courses because the Open was held there they will have to travel and if they are traveling to the course they can afford just about any green fee they want.

Phil McDade

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2008, 10:30:49 PM »
First of all, it's going to be interesting to see how far back they play Erin Hills.  Fully stretched it's well over 8000 yards.  

Secondly, it will be interesting to see what the other stroke play course for that particular Amateur will be.  Milwaukee CC would be a great choice but I'm not sure if they'd be willing to do two championships (they have the Mid Am this year I think) in that close of proximity.  

Adam:

I'm guessing it will be the Washington County course (a muni run by the county) designed by Art Hills and opened 10-15 years ago. Fairly wide open, some interesting bunkering, said to have very good greens, and some movement in the terrain. Can be windy -- it sort of sits on a high plain out here. It's near Hartford, the nearest town of any size, and the closest course to Erin Hills capable of handling golfers of Am potential.

Milwaukee CC, along with Brown Deer (the Milwaukee Co. muni that is the PGA tour stop) are co-hosting the Mid-Am this year. It's been a long, long time since Milwaukee CC has hosted any kind of tourney of note. I'm doubtful Milwaukee CC will go for the Amateur, for logistical and other reasons.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2008, 10:40:28 PM »
Erin Hils last August was roughly $150. I wsn't enthralled by this course. I wouldn't place it in my top 5 in Wis. A good course but is it great? Some quirky holes to say the least. Well at least the state of Wis is getting their just due. Would have enjoyed seeing  an event at U. Ridge or Bull at Pinehurst Farms to name a few.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2008, 12:24:04 AM »
The cost of playing Pinehurst is beyond the rack rate, its also the required stay at the resort.  $500+ for Pebble Beach.  Not sure about Whistling Straits.  That compared to $100 for Bethpage, $150 for Erin Hills?  Not a contest.

And remember, my view is that the whole public open thing is overrated, since such few golfers will play the course regardless.

Brian Brown

« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2008, 01:29:34 AM »
The current rate for out-of-state players at Bethpage is around $90. The in state rate is around $40.  That’s as cheap as any other municipal course in the area.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 03:24:57 AM by Brian Brown »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2008, 01:38:19 AM »

It doesn't take an architect to grow grass. And, I have no I idea what you are talking about with respect to the 12th. I would suggest that the best thing to do with the 12th would be to play it. Seldom will holding a championship on a 17 hole course work out very well.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2008, 01:39:50 AM »
Current rate at Chambers Bay is $75 for out of county players $55 for in county residents.

Hurry the rate changes March 1.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2008, 02:13:20 AM »
Weather in June is not really an issue.  Particularly when you consider the chance of having a lightning delay is almost zero.  Adding that to the prime time coverage in the east, a stunning setting and an adjacent three hundred acres of flat land for corporate, TV  and the like, makes for an irresistable combination.   I never really thought that a tour event was likely, and thought the Mid Am would come to Chambers , but this is just over the top.

Two other comments, the last time a course this new was used was Hazeltine in 1970.  It was VERY controversial.  You can look up the barnyard quote. 

The other comment is that Pierce County Executive John Ladenburg has been driving this thing since the beginning.  I have been convinced all along that he was over promising and could never deliver.  God bless him, he seems to be able to deliver.

What is the going rate for corporate outings on the closest private club to the
US Open course?  My guess is that we will be taking bids shortly!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:23:51 PM by W.H. Cosgrove »

Richard Choi

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2008, 03:56:05 AM »
The cost of playing Pinehurst is beyond the rack rate, its also the required stay at the resort.  $500+ for Pebble Beach.  Not sure about Whistling Straits.  That compared to $100 for Bethpage, $150 for Erin Hills?  Not a contest.

I don't get your point. Sure they are expensive, but I maybe able to afford anyone of those courses, if I desired.

US Open really isn't "open" either as I cannot compete in them since my handicap is too high. Should we just start calling it US Invitational?

The fact is by hosting US Open on muni courses, it will encourage more high end munis to be built. I doubt that Chambers Bay would have been possible without Bethpage's success. And to me that is the definition of promoting this game.

And I am sorry, if the worlds #1 player is excited about having US Open at Torrey Pines, that is good enough for me.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 10:37:08 AM by Richard Choi »

Gary Slatter

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2008, 05:59:29 AM »
The big question:

Brilliant question Philippe, Mark has always told me how sharp you are!   Love to hear what II would say when Rees drops in.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Scott Weersing

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2008, 08:51:18 AM »

Hey, I was right. I predicted that CB could host the US Open just 8 years after opening.

I wonder if they can grow US Open rough at CB.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2008, 09:02:53 AM »
I was on the road yesterday and have now caught up with the news cycle. 

Landenburg wants a $35 million clubhouse.........can anyone convince me that is neseccary?  What will it cost to operate in non Open years?  Are we going to have more than one open?  What will $35 million buy the county?  Is there a private investor/operator willing to undertake such a project? 

David Druzisky

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2008, 12:11:30 PM »
Great to see the USGA going into uncharted territory.  Maybe a little risky on their part, but heck, risk=reward!

It is a little unfortunate that there are allready posts concerned with how the USGA will set up the course and questioning weather or not they will narrow up the fairways.  Speaks volumes.  If they do feel the need to tighten the fairways on this type of course 2 things come to mind.

1. - The course is flawed.
or
2. - They do not know what they are doing.

Also it would seem to me, if they narrow the fairways, why have the tournament there?

I have not had the good fortune of playing the course yet but it sure looks good.  7 years from now it should have matured nicely.  I assume the course, because of its type, has optional routes of play, interesting angles and lines of charm - all different than the typical US Open course.

An intetesting dynamic.  The USGA will conduct their championship at a venue designed by an architect (design firm) still alive.

As far as the whether, shouldn't even be an issue.  Think of how miserable the temps and and storm event can be at most of the typical venue locations.  It is awesome in the PNW in the summer and a shame that the tour does not swing through the region.  How much southern/florida golf do we need!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2008, 01:13:08 PM »
This is great news for the Pacific NW.  Chambers Bay is a great course and I am very excited to have such a big event so close.

But, I still feel as though Chambers Bay is a much better PGA Championship course than a US Open course.  If the fairways are narrowed, which I'm sure they will be, it takes away a lot of what Chambers has to offer.  Sideways lies in the fairways, optimal angles into greens, and the overall look of the course will all be sacrificed if the USGA narrows the fairways.  I hope that isn't the case.

It will also be interesting to see how fast the greens will be.  With the severe slopes some of the holes present, putting could really be a task and in some cases impossible if going down a large tier.  It should be very interesting.

George Pazin

« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2008, 01:30:44 PM »
Did the USGA narrow fairways at Pinehurst? (Honest question)

The past 10 years or so, there seems to have been more of an emphasis to utilize a course strengths, rather than simply narrowing and growing heavy rough. Perhaps the powers that be won't go overboard.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Craig Sweet

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2008, 01:37:37 PM »
2015?  Tiger will be turning 40 or will he be 40????  It could be his first Major after turning 40....I wonder how close he'll be to 20 Majors by then?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Norbert P

« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »
 Is there another US Open course that plays like a links course. The closest that comes to mind is Shinnecock. Could this be a paradagm shift* in golf design for pro tourneys?  How differrent from TPC design is this layout?

Is this the closest venue to a British Open (of the links courses) ever selected?

I can't seem to remember . . . are the greens @ CB USGA spec or Pushups?

The selection is very surprising, except, of course, to soothesayer Bayley.

* always wanted to use those words in a sentence.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back