News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

Re: 2015 US Open to Chambers Bay
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2008, 01:47:12 PM »
Jim,

CB is 7585 yards from the tips, and it won't be hot & humid (ball goes further).

Joe Hancock

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2008, 01:49:17 PM »
Who gets dibs on the wharf?

I don't know what "dibs" are, but if they are what I think they are, I once got "dibs" on the 6th green at Grand Island......it was at night, and I'm sure anyone getting dibs on the wharf will do it under the cover of darkness as well.....
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Craig Sweet

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2008, 01:50:02 PM »
Weather wise...my experience has been everything begins to dry out around mid June to the 3rd week of June.....and temps should be sweet!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Adam_Messix

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2008, 01:52:49 PM »
First of all, it's going to be interesting to see how far back they play Erin Hills.  Fully stretched it's well over 8000 yards.  

Secondly, it will be interesting to see what the other stroke play course for that particular Amateur will be.  Milwaukee CC would be a great choice but I'm not sure if they'd be willing to do two championships (they have the Mid Am this year I think) in that close of proximity.  

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2008, 01:58:58 PM »
What will the second courses be for the U.S. Amateurs?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2008, 02:00:56 PM »
Here is the Wharf..

On a side sure looks like they were lots of trees or shrubs there before. Are we sure this is a minimalist course?   ;) ;D

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »
The second course for the US Amateur will probably be the Home Course, but they didn't have a clubhouse when I played there last year.

http://www.thehomecourse.com/layout9.asp?id=542&page=27921

Joe H- Dibs is first pick :D

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2008, 02:11:57 PM »
What will the second courses be for the U.S. Amateurs?

For CB, it could be the newly opened nearby Home Course, which tips out at 7437 yards and a 76.5 CR.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2008, 02:12:26 PM »
Here is the Wharf..

On a side sure looks like they were lots of trees or shrubs there before. Are we sure this is a minimalist course?   ;) ;D

As for minimalist, no one has ever made that claim about Chambers Bay. It is a mine reclamation.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 02:14:05 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Mayhugh

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2008, 02:15:57 PM »
I like the idea of taking the US Open to different regions and if it takes new course construction to do that, OK.  Do the changes needed to host the US Open make courses better?  Hopefully the USGA is paying attention to more than yardage and accommodation of TV & galleries.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2008, 02:25:32 PM »
Here is the Wharf..

As for minimalist, no one has ever made that claim about Chambers Bay. It is a mine reclamation.

Garland, next time I will put 6 smiley faces on there just for you...    ;D  ;D  ;D

Norbert P

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »
The 18th Hole at Chambers Bay last May on GCA Day.

Gosh that is chartreusey. I don't think I did any real mods on the photo beyond darkening it a little bit.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 02:36:44 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2008, 02:37:38 PM »
Joe,
Are you sure Kyle wasn't trying to play his way into the '15 event?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Richard Choi

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2008, 02:48:52 PM »
Here are the June daily averages for Tacoma.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/USWA0441?climoMonth=6

I think it is silly to look at Mean Temps for suitability. Sure, it may be bit chilly in the early morning, but by 9AM it will be in the mid 60's and by the afternoon, it will be in low to mid 70's. Perfect temperature for golf and golf spectators.

While I cannot guarantee that there won't be rain, but usually most of that rain comes in early June and not later June.

If it is overcast and windy, I personally think that would be an ideal weather condition for a major championship.

Certainly better than 100+ degree temperatures we've had at other sites.

Richard Choi

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2008, 02:51:15 PM »
BTW, this has to be a devastating news for Pumpkin Ridge...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2008, 02:55:13 PM »
BTW, this has to be a devastating news for Pumpkin Ridge...

Not really.

Pumpkin Ridge was built before the Strata, and ProV1. They already realize they are obsolete courses in this respect.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2008, 03:00:19 PM »
Hey Garland,

I wasn't talking about the quality of the course, just the idea that there could be "tournament" courses groomed for holding these events.   On a related front, the USGA might be in very good shape on this issue anyways, with Mike Davis as tourney director.  Hard to find more "classic" greens than at Oakmont, and I don't think we heard a peep about flattening any. 

Jeff

Thanks for the clarification Jeff.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2008, 03:09:42 PM »
Well, I missed on the 2010 event at Chambers Bay, but I nailed the 2015 event.

Isn't the new search feature wonderful.

;D

USGA moves 2010 Senior Open from Sahalee to Chambers Bay, with anticipations that 2015 Open to be there now that Winged Foot has declined.

Ken Moum

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2008, 03:24:05 PM »

Kmoum,

Understood those are the average "max" temps, but the US Open is played over a roughly 12 hour time slot.  I think a 24 hr average temp is more accurate than a max temp that is only reached for what 1 hour of the day?

And come on, even the average high in June was still under 70 for that area.  69.3.   :D :P

I played all my golf for about 30 years in extreme northern Minnesota, and summer temps like those in Tacoma are almost ideal for golf. They're significantly warmer than July in Scotland, which I also find about ideal.

And don't forget, unlike US Open venues in the northeast, summer in Tacoma is the driest part of the year. That why there are so many pine trees up there, the deciduous trees don't get enough rain in the summer to compete with the evergreens that grow all winter.

For instance, Tacoma averages 1.59" of precip in June, while Oakmont averages 3.93". Winged Foot averages 3.44". Pinehurst 4.24".

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jim Nugent

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »
I think the 2015 Open was earmarked for Winged Foot.  But they turned it down.  Those of you who have played both courses, which one do you think would work better?  WFW or CB? 

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2008, 03:42:29 PM »
Joe,
Are you sure Kyle wasn't trying to play his way into the '15 event?

I like the way you think Mike. ;)

Michael Christensen

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
this news must really tee-off one Mr Trump!  a muni gets it over his masterpiece in New Jersey??

I really like this choice....I am all for awarding the Open to different areas in the country....I think Hawaii should get one too.

Looks like I will have to get out there this year to see what all the good reviews are about!

J Sadowsky

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2008, 03:51:59 PM »
It's always been my preference to give the US to the great old courses, a "rotation" of sorts to Pebble Beach, Shinnecock, Winged Foot, Oakmont, Pinehurst, Baltrusol, Oakland Hills, (dream: Riviera or LACC (North)).  Especcially if those courses reward shotmaking (and not just aereal shotmaking) over attack-and-recover.

Whereas the PGA should stick to interesting, newer designs that promote interesting recoveries - Whistling Straits, Sebonack, Kinloch, Kiawah, Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, and maybe a few others (Caves Valley? Wade Hampton? Colorado or Boston Golf Clubs?)

Oh - and Torrey Hills should never have a major.  Ever.  Ever.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2008, 04:18:56 PM »
Justin,

so you prefer the usga go to the pga castoffs once they become old?
 ;)

Richard Choi

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2008, 04:20:01 PM »
Justin I disagree. If anything, US Open should stick to new and PGA should stick to old.

US Open is a national championship that is "open" to all. I think you should have the same policy when selecting a venue and preference should be given to a public site like Chambers Bay.

This is doubly true when a part of USGA's charter is to promote the game. A course like Chambers Bay NEED to be able to host events like this to survive and thrive. And given the fan reaction during the US Open at Bethpage, hosting a US Open on a muni is likely to generate more interest from "average" fans. I doubt that Shinnecock is going to lose much if they never host another US Open.

At the very least, half of the US Open should be hosted by public courses.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:22:32 PM by Richard Choi »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back