News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Leary

Re: 2015 US Open to Chambers Bay
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2008, 11:14:14 PM »
I think the USGA would think that Gold Mountian is too far away.  I actually think that Gold Mountain or Home Course is a toss up.  Hell Sean, lets do it at Oakbrook or Fircrest.  They are both closer. And both provide a strong test of golf, Fircrest as a PGA stop years ago and Oakbrook having withstood the Pacific Am and the Washington Open.

Gold Mountain is probably more inconsistent with weak holes at 4,14,17,and 18.  And very good par threes and a strong 7 and 9. 

Home course is more consistent with fewer weak holes and not as many really strong holes.  It does posess prodigious length at 7400 possible yards.

After all of the commentary, I think you would find the competition is between the Home Course because of it being owned by the association and Tacoma Country and Golf as a reward for having held so many previous USGA events. 

Sean I don't care where the second venue is, I'm still trying to get over the shock of having Chambers get the Am and the Open.  That may take until 2015 to actually believe.  We'll have to have some of that conversation over a round of golf and a beverage.

Cos,

Maybe 2 beverages. Need more than that to determine who is more shocked, you or me. 

Funny story. Two weeks ago, I was having dinner with some buddies at Daniels in Bellevue and the topic of golf comes up with the waiter.  He says he doesn't know much about golf, but heard that Chambers Bay was getting the US Open in 2015 (This was a full week before the announcement). I didn't disagree with him out loud, but after he left, I said to my friends that there was no way it was true, and there was no way that that course would get an Open. No way, no how.

Would being the second course be that prestigious of a reward for Tacoma CC?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2008, 11:20:23 AM »
Cos and Sean,

I think you two need to be more progressive thinkers. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2008, 01:19:48 PM »
No need to stay on the resort to play The Ocean Course.  Rates now $242.  March 14-May 29 and September 12-November 27 is $350.  May 30-September 11 is $265 ($245 after 2pm).  November 28 to March 12, 2009 is $254  Rates are generally between $25-$50 less if you stay with the resort.

Also, there are no "caddie fees."  We just ask that you remember that gratuities are accepted by caddies...

Richard Choi

« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2008, 03:19:36 PM »
Sean, did that waiter give out any stock advice? :)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2008, 03:52:31 PM »
Maybe the USGA guys out there scouting have the same taste as you guys in where to eat...  ;) ;D ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sean Leary

« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2008, 05:13:01 PM »
Maybe the USGA guys out there scouting have the same taste as you guys in where to eat...  ;) ;D ::)

Dick,

Good point. It is definitely a USGA sort of place. :)

It seemed to be a pretty guarded secret, so I wonder where he heard it.

Richard Choi

« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2008, 05:27:24 PM »
Isn't it pretty obvious?

Either USGA folks were visiting CB to confirm the offer and CB folks took USGA folks out to dinner at Daniel's to celebrate and the waiter overheard the conversation.

OR

CB hear the offer a week ago and went out for a celebration where the waiter overheard the conversation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back