News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

igrowgrass

Bandon Private and one OT question.
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:39:19 PM »
Posed two questions at work today.  One on-topic and the other off-topic
"How well would a private course do near Bandon?"

and

"How long until someone opens a quality sports bar in the area?"

Jed Peters

Re: Bandon Private and one OT question.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 11:30:25 PM »
1. Owner of Sheep Ranch already wanted to take it private. Keiser doesn't want a private course. Sheep is on WAY better golf land than any of the courses (IMHO). I'd think 18 holes of well designed golf on that property as a private would be muy excellente and would fill up.

2. 1999.

Norbert P

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 01:43:41 AM »
"How well would a private course do near Bandon?"

"How long until someone opens a quality sports bar in the area?"

#1  I think it would do well in the future when the area developes financially, with a more diverse economy and entertainment selection. I suppose the Sheep Ranch is prime for that endevour but I'd rather it didn't go that way as I'll only be able to read about the hallowed place, thereafter.

#2 As Jed said . . . "1999".  Of course, the Sports Bar only speaks golf.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 10:20:56 AM »
Slag,

When did they stop letting you guys play private courses?

I would like to see a new model of private course out in Bandon similar to a time share.  You are allowed 12 play days each year and have the ability to transfer those rounds to individuals that you vouch for.  If a member wants to allow a friend to play he simply gives the individual a letter much like what is done with R&A clubhouse access at St. Andrews.  You sell 2000 memberships at $200/month and there you have close to $5 million a year for basic expenses.

Norbert P

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 02:10:45 PM »
John, I like your line of thinking but $4800 per year divided by 12 rounds = $400 per round.   I guess it's all relative to income and poker winnings.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 02:17:54 PM »
John, I like your line of thinking but $4800 per year divided by 12 rounds = $400 per round.   I guess it's all relative to income and poker winnings.

I'm sorry but I thought $200 per month is $2400.  I also said play days not rounds.  Another thing that makes this an easy sell is that while you may only use one or two play days during your stay you have the benefit of staying at the private lodging and practice area at your course.  Practice is not included as a play day.  I would be so simple to sell 2000 memberships at $200 per month they may want to consider raising the rate.  Don't forget that very few private courses actually cost less than $200 per round.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 02:22:09 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 02:21:17 PM »
Surely Bandon is not anymore out of the way than Ballyneal, Dismal Riv and Sand Hills.

But who really knows.

When playing a handful of years ago the caretaker told our group that indeed the owner's vision was to one day finish/formalize the course and make it uber exclusive and private.

I bet Tom Doak knows more than any of us.

If I recall correctly that big master plan pdf that was floating around here a few years back mentioned a private course.

I am inclined to think it'd work just fine, where there is fabulous golf there will be people who want to join.

As far as someone's comment that the land is the best of the bunch, I do not agree.  It is very Pebble Beach like, IMHO, with room for 3-4 holes on the edges of the cliffs.  The land is tilted so most holes will/do offer ocean views.

But the soil does not appear as ideal as that of Pacific Dunes.  It's rolling, but they are big rolls, not little subtle ones.  It isn't very "linksy" which to me is the ideal terrain for golf.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back