News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Nixon

2015 US Open to Chambers Bay
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:48:12 AM »

Phil Benedict

Re: 2015 US Open to Chambers Bay
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 09:51:59 AM »
Great to see them going to a new course.  This is a stupid question since the course has had so much buzz here, but isn't this a Rees Jones who is also the Open doctor, so this shouldn't come as a great surprise?

Maybe the USGA should give Jordan Wall a exemption into the field to provide some local content.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:56:29 AM by Phil Benedict »

John Kirk

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:53:40 AM »
Nice scoop, Brad.  How about that?  I realize that some here were speculating that it could happen...

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 09:56:15 AM »
Is it April fools day already?   :o

Apparently not...

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/277941.html

Congrats to the city of Tacoma, maybe this will help get you over that inferiority complex.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 10:00:03 AM by Craig Edgmand »

KBanks

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 09:59:49 AM »
I thought Chambers Bay was built by Bobby, the other Jones brother.

Ken

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 10:00:53 AM »

KBanks,

It is a Bobby Jr. course..

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 10:01:38 AM »
Design is by Robert Trent Jones Jr., Bruce Charlton and Jay Blasi, not Rees Jones. When it opened, we had Chambers Bay as the focal point of a Golfweek story on municipal golf going upscale.

Ken Moum

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 10:05:38 AM »
Is it April fools day already?   :o

Apparently not...

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/277941.html

Congrats to the city of Tacoma, maybe this will help get you over that inferiority complex.

Nope, and Brad didn't mention Erin Hills....

Media Contact: Craig Smith (csmith@usga.org)

Web address: www.usga.org

USGA phone: (908) 234-2300

USGA AWARDS 2015 U.S. OPEN, 2010 U.S. AMATEUR TO CHAMBERS BAY IN WASHINGTON STATE AND 2011 U.S. AMATEUR TO ERIN HILLS GOLF COURSE IN WISCONSIN

Far Hills, N.J. Feb. 8 - The United States Golf Association has announced that it has awarded the 2015 U.S. Open Championship to Chambers Bay, the spectacular municipal links course located on the scenic lower Puget Sound in University Place, Wash.

The USGA also announced that Chambers Bay, designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr. and Bruce Charleton, will play host to the U.S. Amateur Championship in 2010.

Chambers Bay will be the third municipal course to play host to the U.S. Open, following Bethpage Black in New York (2002, 2009) and Torrey Pines in California later this year.  Chambers Bay will be the first golf course in the Pacific Northwest to hold the U.S. Open.

"We are excited to take the U.S. Open Championship and the U.S. Amateur to such an awesome site,” said Jim Hyler, chairman of the USGA Championship Committee. “This is the first time the U.S. Open has been to Washington and we are confident that the golf course will provide a challenging test for the best players in the world, as well as a great spectator experience for those who attend the event and watch it online and on television.

“The local leadership provided by Pierce County has been superb and we look forward to partnering with them and the great sports fans in Washington to host a truly unique Open Championship. And, the U.S. Amateur will give us great insight into the golf course architecture and championship setup. For the first time, the National Open will be played on fine fescue grasses, including the putting greens,” continued Hyler.

Chambers Bay, opened in June 2007, is the centerpiece of a 930-acre park purchased by Pierce County, Wash., in 1992 that today features scenic trails and coastline vistas where a sand and gravel quarry once stood.

“Our hard work has paid off as we have done everything possible to attract the attention of a prestigious championship,” said Pierce County Executive John Ladenburg. “Even so, we never dreamed we’d be chosen by the USGA to host both the U.S. Amateur and U.S. Open championships. Especially not so close to the opening of the course. It is a true honor.”

“Chambers Bay golf course is a jewel for the entire state of Washington and the Pacific Northwest,” said Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire. “The U.S. Open and U.S. Amateur Championships will be a wonderful opportunity to showcase the natural beauty of our state and share it with golf enthusiasts from around the globe. I applaud County Executive John Ladenburg for his hard work on delivering the championship events to Pierce County.”

The USGA also announced that Erin Hills Golf Course in Wisconsin will play host to the 2011 U.S. Amateur. Erin Hills is located in Hartford, Wis., about 30 minutes northwest of Milwaukee, and is also home to the U.S. Women’s Amateur Public Links Championship in 2008 – a USGA championship awarded to Erin Hills before the golf course had opened in 2006.

Erin Hills is a links-style championship course designed by Mike Hurdzan and Dana Fry of Hurdzan-Fry Architects, and Ron Whitten, Architecture Editor of Golf Digest magazine. Golf Magazine named Erin Hills its Best New Golf Course in January 2007.

“Erin Hills is a wonderfully unique golf course that really takes a minimalist approach to the golf course design and architecture,” Hyler said. “The course is cleverly routed on a great piece of golf landscape. The venue will be a terrific test for the competitors in the U.S. Amateur.”

“On behalf of the entire state of Wisconsin, we look forward to the incredible opportunity to host the 2011 U.S. Amateur at Erin Hills Golf Course,” said Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle. “As a public course open to all, Erin Hills fulfills the USGA promise and is a world-class facility that showcases Wisconsin’s future as a premier golf destination.”

“Everyone associated with the journey of Erin Hills is pleased and we look forward to the unique opportunity to host the 2011 U.S. Amateur,” said Bob Lang, owner of Erin Hills.

The awarding of championships to Chambers Bay and Erin Hills was approved by the USGA Executive Committee at its Annual Meeting in Houston. The formal approval of all three championships is pending contractual agreement.

The USGA is the national governing body of golf in this country and Mexico, a combined territory that includes more than half the world’s golfers and golf courses. 

The USGA also writes the Rules of Golf, conducts equipment testing, provides expert course maintenance consultations, funds research for better turf and a better environment, maintains a Handicap System and administers an ongoing "For the Good of the Game" grants program, which has allocated more than $58 million over 11 years to programs that seek to grow the game.  For more information about the USGA, visit www.usga.org
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Phil Benedict

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 10:05:54 AM »
Great to see them going to a new course.  This is a stupid question since the course has had so much buzz here, but isn't this a Rees Jones who is also the Open doctor, so this shouldn't come as a great surprise?

Maybe the USGA should give Jordan Wall a exemption into the field to provide some local content.

I've never been able to keep up with the Jones.

John Kirk

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 10:06:53 AM »
It will be interesting to see how well they can maintain those fescue playing surfaces.  After 7 years of play, they may have significant poa annua infestation on the greens, maybe 5-20%.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 10:18:18 AM »
Very interesting...I've been contemplating making the trip up from Houston to check it out...this makes the decision easy.

How do you think this announcement will affect the rate structure going forward?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 10:19:59 AM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 10:22:30 AM »
So, the 2010 U.S. Amateur to CB and then 2015 U.S. Open.
    does 2011 U.S. Amateur to EH mean 2016 U.S. Open?

2014 is still open, I'm guessing #2 gets it.  Or maybe Shinny.

At any rate, CB is a fine choice.  Great course.  Can the gallery go anywhere on #10?  Atop the dunes?

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 10:25:05 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 10:32:51 AM »
I guess the gallery will have to go single file along the tops of the dunes on #12, too:

Also, #8 has a steep falloff on the right, so the gallery will have to mountain goat it along the hill on the left:

Get yer hiking boots out!

Jason Mandel

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 10:35:21 AM »
Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but this is pretty shocking news to me.  Awarrding a US Open to a course open less than is year is pretty radical.

Jason

You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 10:38:45 AM »
Certain spectator vantage points at Chambers Bay will be like sitting in the overhang at old Tiger Stadium -- you won't be able to see the rightfielder.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 10:40:38 AM »
Certain spectator vantage points at Chambers Bay will be like sitting in the overhang at old Tiger Stadium -- you won't be able to see the rightfielder.

What is the over/under on rolled/twisted/broken ankles?

Would it be greater or lower then when the PGA visited Whistling Straits?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 10:43:15 AM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 10:44:32 AM »
Should Mr. Hyler's minimalist comment be given a free pass?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 10:47:18 AM »
Does Chambers Bay have wide fairways?  Will the USGA keep them that way? 

In general, how will the USGA set up the course for the Open? 

Joe Hancock

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 10:50:48 AM »
With permission, I am going to pick on Kyle's comments about getting to CB now.

Along with his previous desire to visit CB, he makes it a priority now that the USGA has made this announcement. Any denying the marketing power of hosting an event of this stature? Can you imagine how many golfers in the Pac NW are going the same route as Kyle? And couple that with Jason's observation of granting an Open to a course not even played for a full season and you start to know how the golf industry works.

$$$$$$$$$$

I too will be eager to watch the fans find their way around.

Thanks, Kyle, for graciously allowing me....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 10:59:59 AM »
Jim,

With a few exceptions (Scott's photographs) Chambers is extremely wide and generous off the tee.  I cannot fathom the USGA keeping the width. 

I think the course is worthy of the tournament but absent a stiff breeze I could see a lot of birdies.

Mike

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kirk

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 11:15:32 AM »
Should Mr. Hyler's minimalist comment be given a free pass?

Yes, because he was referring to Erin Hills, which I heard had had very little earth moved.

What's going on, big fella?  May flowers are on theri way!

Richard Choi

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 11:37:30 AM »
I am in SHOCK!!!

I figured CB would have to host a US Amateur (or ANY USGA event) before they would be seriously considered.

I am so excited I can hardly breathe. I can't wait for the tickets to go on SALE!!!

Wow... it is about time the place with the best summer weather in the country got to host the US Open.

Richard Choi

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 11:46:57 AM »
I will say that the wall of sand that lines the course on the east side can probably easily hold 25,000+ spectators. I can certainly envision installing bleachers on that side to hold all the crowd.

From that vantage point, you will be able to view the entire course. Should be great for event watching.

I also suspect they will have special Sounder trains to shuttle people in from Seattle.

I think the logistics will be very favorable for hosting the US Open

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 11:48:56 AM »
Richard,

Too bad summer doesn't start until after July 4th there and then it may only last 2 months. It is beautiful while it lasts though. :)

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 12:04:20 PM »
During the Walker Cup there was large number of people on slopes of simaler steepness but if was to get wet they would provide a serious concern for officials.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back