News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Spogard

Re:Woking
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 06:52:16 AM »
Another great thing about Woking is that it is often (in my opinion) the heathland course in the best condtion.

Fairways are perfectly cut (except maybe not using the right moving pattern?) and the course is draining much better after they cleared the shrubs and restored a lot of old ditches around the course which was not fully functional.

To anyone slghtly into golf course architecture Woking is a must visit!

Sean_A

Wonderful WOKING in Winter
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 08:48:56 PM »
Take a look at the updated thread.  The club is slowly but surely making Woking one of the finest inland courses in the country. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Peter Pallotta

Re: Wonderful WOKING in Winter
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 10:34:36 PM »
Sean - thanks for pulling this thread back up (and Philip S for your posts). But I think we have a rare disagreement here - that 9th hole looks (and from your write-up sounds) like an excellent golf hole. I'm only 5000 sit-ups away from being able to play it well...

Peter   

BCrosby

Re:Woking
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2008, 10:46:06 PM »

I will end this post with a quote from Darwin describing th changes to Woking made in the early 1900s by Paton and Low – transforming it from an unsophisticated Dunn layout to a world class heathland course. As Darwin poetically describes the changes; “Unconscious of their doom, the members disperse for their summer holidays and when they return they find that the most revolutionary things have been done. Upon greens that were formerly flat and easy have sprouted plateaus and domes and hollows. Hillocks have risen as if by magic in the middle of the fairway … bunkers have been dug at that precise spot where members have for years complacently watched their ball come to rest at the end of their finest shots … All these things happen at the instigation of a very small secret Junta, and after a little grumbling, such as is only right and proper, the members settle down and admit that the alterations are exceedingly ingenious and the course more entertaining than ever.’

I think only Darwin could put it like that - a shame no one writes like that any more!

Philip - I missed the wonderful Darwin passage you posted earlier this year. As you know, Simpson had his own version of the episode, though his verison is more prosaic.

Thanks. Sean and you have convinced me to get to Woking someday.

Bob 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2008, 10:50:16 PM »
Sean - thanks for pulling this thread back up (and Philip S for your posts). But I think we have a rare disagreement here - that 9th hole looks (and from your write-up sounds) like an excellent golf hole. I'm only 5000 sit-ups away from being able to play it well...

Peter   

Those who really like the reverse camber tee shots at the Olympic Club Lakeside course will like the 9th at Woking!  Those type of holes are difficult but very satisfying when you make the rare par or even rarer birdie.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008, 10:57:23 PM »
Bob, Philip - yes, not one writer in a thousand would've had the talent and grace to insert that little clause -"such as is only right and proper" - into the last sentence, and to make the whole work is such a beautifully balanced way. Lovely.

Peter

Bill - I think the Lakeside course was mentioned as an example on a recent canted/sloped fairways thread.  I'm an average golfer but I hope to be better, and the reverse camber tee shot is just the cat's meow in my books

Rob Rigg

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2008, 11:54:55 PM »
Sean,

Thanks for the great pics - Woking is one of my favorite courses to see because it seems very simple and natural to me but there is obviously a lot of subtlety that makes it immensely challenging yet still very pleasing to the eye. The coloring is very very cool, and I do not think I will ever tire of seeing those heather rimmed bunkers.

No matter what the season - Woking looks like a really natural gem of a place.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2008, 04:42:05 AM »
Sean
Nice thread and thanks for the updated photos.
I'm sure Bernardo would be most pleased with the state of his home course.

Paul Nash

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2008, 06:04:26 AM »
I had a great day at Woking - first visit but I will certainly be back. I thought it was a wonderful course and it is interesting to see that all 3 Ws feel quite different - I would not like to comment which is best as they all have plus points - a lot more practice needed! But Woking certainly has the best or at least most peaceful/ serene site with less road noise and houses on its boundaries, which is a feature I like, even though it is not part of the architecture.

I thought the 9th was a fantastic hole right from the teeing area which looks like it has all been remodelled. It presents quite a challenge as to what to do as attempting to cut the corner over the trees is a high-risk option, I should know! It would also be a lot different from the rear tees about 50 yards back where you could use a wood with more confidence and not attack the corner. I Think my favourite stretch of holes was 10-14 as they felt the most heathlandy and there was a fair bit of natural undulation. My least favourite were probably the last 3 - all to do with them being flat, more hemmed in, with less space and a less heathlandy feel.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2008, 09:05:48 AM »

Thanks for organising a great fun day and for updating this thread. It would be good to get amore detailed pictures of all 18 greens. That would make a great thread in itself.

The 17th is underrated; it’s like a microcosm of the club itself, subtle but strong.  This is known as Low’s Bunker and he always liked the flag to be cut close to it. Hence at this stage in the game anyone who had to attack was in hot water.

For the first time yesterday I realised there’s another bunker in front of it that is visible from the tee – placed there to intimidate?

The tradition at Woking is for the friendly match rather than the organised competition.  I wonder if the routing starting on today’s 15 would be as good in matchplay?

Assigning Muldoon’s amended Par value.

Current finish       4.5,    5,    3,    4+,    3.5 

Alternative finish          3,    4,    4,    4+,    4.5
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 09:07:53 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2008, 09:16:02 AM »
Peter as always you are right -- Woking 9 is fantastic!

17 is awesome, too.

Nice to ruminate on alternate routings but there in fact are several.  Being a two-ball course, 18 is fine decider hole.  It really does a wonderful job tempting the golfer who is level or down to have a big rip, and the rolling green has been known to give up its share of miracle putts, not to mention dramatic up-and-downs from the left bunker.

Sean, many thanks for the pics / update.  An excellent year-round course!

Mark

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 09:22:27 AM »
Peter as always you are right -- Woking 9 is fantastic!

17 is awesome, too.

Nice to ruminate on alternate routings but there in fact are several.  Being a two-ball course, 18 is fine decider hole.  It really does a wonderful job tempting the golfer who is level or down to have a big rip, and the rolling green has been known to give up its share of miracle putts, not to mention dramatic up-and-downs from the left bunker.

Sean, many thanks for the pics / update.  An excellent year-round course!

Mark

Mark

Finishing on 14 is also a gambler's paradise.  I like the idea of having to get up and down from the patio for a halved match.  Plus, the 1st requires quite a deft touch and it is a pity this sort of birdieable hole comes straight out of the blocks.  Besides, as Gordon Jones stated, its a killer to walk away from the kummel when one is so close to hatch after playing 14.

Tony

I agree that a study of the greens, especially in comparison to Beau Desert's would be a great thread.  However, my camera isn't good enough to pull off the job. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:26:58 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Mayhugh

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2008, 10:07:05 AM »
For a golfer looking to play a friendly game on a course which is not overly influenced by championship golf, there are few better places than Woking.  The course offers enough width to allow aggressive play, the walk is comfortable, but not without a few minor climbs, the greens are without exception full of interest, there is an unusual variety of bunker placement and the club has an understated elegance which is welcoming yet grand.    

This sounds just like my kind of place.  Thanks for the great photos and discussion.  I've been interested in Woking for a while and after this latest photo tour I'm even more so.  I think I have to visit during the BUDA trip. 

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2008, 01:51:07 PM »

John and Sean,

Agreed. Woking looks irresistible.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2008, 03:24:01 PM »
Sean:
I haven't spent any time in England during December, and notice that there's ice on the ponds in your pictures.  Is that typical for this time of year -- or does it really depend on where you are?  Without knowing any better, I wouldn't have guessed you'd have ice on the ponds.

Noel Freeman

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2008, 04:03:29 PM »
I have played Woking 5x now and recently this September.  And it really has grown even better in my opinion.  I hesitate to say it but other than Pulborough, it is becoming my favorite (not best) heathland to play.

Im not sure if this came up in the thread, but Martin Ebert is doing the work at Woking.  The club is blessed to have one of the best club secretaries in the business- Mr. Ritchie.

The 18th is up for lengthening and I believe Mr. Ebert may push the green or extend it closer to the water making for a dicier shot to one of the best greens on the course.

Sean- great pix!

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2008, 04:11:23 PM »
Sean:
I haven't spent any time in England during December, and notice that there's ice on the ponds in your pictures.  Is that typical for this time of year -- or does it really depend on where you are?  Without knowing any better, I wouldn't have guessed you'd have ice on the ponds.

Carl

It is slightly unusual to have ice about for any length of time.  At the moment we are in a bit of a cold snap - that is to say temps hovering around 0.  I don't mind, if the temps are around 0 it isn't raining! 

Tuco

I agree, Woking is fast (very fast) becoming one of my favourite courses as well.  Martin Ebert has been doing a great job as I think the course has improved dramatically in the past 15 years. 

Ciao

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »
Noel

Credit to the club's leadership for the clearing out.  It was not done by acclamation of the membership, that's for sure. Not sure what to say about the new tee going in on one of the holes (9?) -- elevated so golfers can see the fairway.

Mark
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 04:31:14 PM by Mark Bourgeois »

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2008, 07:32:01 PM »
Noel

Credit to the club's leadership for the clearing out.  It was not done by acclamation of the membership, that's for sure. Not sure what to say about the new tee going in on one of the holes (9?) -- elevated so golfers can see the fairway.

Mark

Mark

The back tee is now open.  If it wasn't elevated the golfer wouldn't be able to see past the middle tee which is also very elevated.  Both tees look very odd and and out of place at Woking.  It seems I am the only one to believe this, but I don't think the hole works very well at all.  Personally, I would like to see the right side of the fairway banked around the turn of the leg.  It serves to encourage the golfer to sling a shot around the corner.  But it also means that if one doesn't pull off this shot his recovery from the far side of the bank is much less forgiving.  Either that or clear more trees out down the left with perhaps a bunker or two guarding the corner.  I guess I feel the drive is too prescriptive and in the summer one has to lay up to the turn then bang a 3 wood up to the green.  I spose I prefer if this hole had more options.

Ciao

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2008, 07:44:11 PM »
Okay, now I get why you're banging on about 9.  We're more in agreement -- at least our aggro levels sound level.  The difference of opinion comes down to whether one's assessment starts with the green or starts with the tee.

Greens trump tees in my book but that new tee...

Mark

Norbert P

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2008, 12:09:21 PM »
...  I hesitate to say it but other than Pulborough, it is becoming my favorite (not best) heathland to play.

I've never heard of Pulborough. It's not in Darwin's book. Any insights to share of it?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Paul Nash

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2008, 12:20:42 PM »
Slag - Pulborough is West Sussex, south of London towards the coast. It is at the top of my must-play list. It looks an exceptional heathland course (from the pictures I have seen) - a bit like a cross between Woodhall Spa and Sunningdale - and 2 of the par 3s are supposed to be among the world's best with similarities to Pine Valley.

Richard Pennell

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2008, 01:33:09 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing West Sussex for the first time this year, and highly recommend it. There are some fabulous holes, especially on the back nine. All the par 3's are superb, and several superb 2 shotters where the line off the tee is crucial. The bunkering is fairly sparse but picturesque. I played in November, and was blown away by the aesthetics of the course - it must be so beautiful when the heather is out in flower.

Ran has done a Course review on it, and Doak is very complimentary on the course in the Confidential Guide.

I can't wait to go back next spring or summer - it is a really special course and club
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Jon Earl

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2009, 07:02:47 AM »
I don't really have much to add to previous comments. However, last Monday saw my debut at a GCA outing and I couldn't have chosen a better venue than Woking. There was more room off the tee than I expected, the possibility of some sort of recovery if you strayed off line and the greens are exceptional (13, 15 and 17 being of particular note).

All-in-all an unpretentious club that is keenly aware of its history. However it's not afraid to make changes to the course to add more interest and challenge (to the club golfer) without resorting to  artificial trickery.

I can't wait to go back (hopefully when there is less frost) and is now near the top of my 'course for life' list.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 07:09:29 AM by Jon Earl »
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Richard Boult

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2009, 12:49:51 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back