News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Re:Hardest set of par-3's in the world??
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2007, 09:37:17 AM »
For some golfers the set of threes at Golden Horseshoe (RTJ) in Va. are intimidating with  three forced carries over  water.

BVince

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2007, 10:00:24 AM »
JES, unfortunately for me...I am can not argue against PV due to a lack of experience there.  I was comparing my experience with Winged Foot, Baltusrol, and Bethpage. Each of these open courses have difficult par 3s during the competition but are reasonable during normal play.  

I am suggesting that some of the modern courses should be considered when analyzing the "hardest set" by the possible score a golfer can make.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:01:42 AM by Bryon Vincent »
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

JESII

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2007, 10:10:29 AM »
Bryon,

I hope you did not read my post as dismissive, I do not disagree that modern courses should be in the mix (just none that I have played).

D_Malley

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2007, 10:16:17 AM »
one philly course that i thought has a very difficult set of par 3's is JC Melrose.  probably not the hardest in the world, but for a course that hangs below most peoples radar it has some tricky greens with a couple of 3's over 200 and uphill.  their website says the course is a Mackensie/P. maxwell design.  anybody have any pictures??

John Kirk

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2007, 10:32:05 AM »
I had a friend who got addicted to cocaine (blow, for those keeping score at home)  He was a Dead head and attended hundreds of shows.  He died about 10 years ago, at age 37.

#3 at Pasatiempo might be the 1 or 2 handicap hole.  That's a hard par 3.

The hardest set I have played is Oakmont.

Honorable mention to Sebonack's par threes.  Though not terribly long, they have small targets.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 03:56:18 PM by John Kirk »

wsmorrison

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2007, 01:03:36 PM »
In no particular order, the following have a collection of very difficult par 3s for the most part regardless of pin position:

Pine Valley
Merion East
Rolling Green
Kittansett
Shinnecock Hills
Oakmont
Philadelphia Country
Lehigh
Indian Creek
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 05:40:11 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2007, 05:38:04 PM »
JES II,

You're all BOZO's and HOMER'S

PV's par three's are on Steroids.

# 3 and # 14 have been lengthened considerably and don't come close to resembling the original versions.

Call it the "Augusta Syndrome".

What's been lost in the lengthening of the par 3's at PV is the wonderful variety that once existed.

Golf courses have lost their architectural balance and unique individual hole identity in the effort to present a difficult challenge for the better player.  

Par 3's are being lengthened to the point that they're all becoming long iron or fairway wood holes.

BORING and TEDIOUS

If you were to examine par 3's in the context of their original or early form as compared to today's form, Shackamaxon would stand out as having a difficult set.

With respect to modern courses, Sebonack's set is difficult.

From an "architectural perspective, The BETTER question would be:

"What set of par 3's, with great balance/variety would be considered amongst the hardest ?"

As to playing in a 40 mph non-prevailing wind and using those conditions as the benchmark, it's a rare course that is exposed to winds of that nature and velocity, so that would seem to be grounds for disqualification.

# 17 at Sand Hills from the top might be the hardest par 3 in the world under those condtions.  SH has a pretty good set too.  And to think, I used to use that term to describe one of my favorite features elsewhere.

James Bennett

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2007, 02:56:59 AM »
You may be correct in alot of places Bryon, but not at Pine Valley. I don't care what the conditions are, if you hit a poor tee shot you are hoping to make a bogey...

I wish I had known this.  

It is very demoralising when, on that special day you end up taking a big score on the 3rd hole (shortish par 3 from the member tees), especially after a second hole disaster as well.  And then, nearly killing my caddy on the 4th hole when he went forward spotting balls in the left trees!  He found the ball (those guys are good).

I think I parred the 14th, 3-putted #5 for a (happy) bogey and found #10 to be demoralising as well.  Demoralised, but happy.

James B
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:59:29 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2007, 08:39:52 AM »
NSW GC in any sort of breeze off the plates...I believe 3 of them are all rated below Index 9 but 11 may slip out a bit.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2007, 08:45:04 AM »
Patrick -

I found PV's par 3s to be fairly varied. I mean I hit 7 iron to #3, hybrid to #5, 9 iron to #10, and 4 iron to #14 all from the back tees. Granted I hit shorteer clubs a few years ago to #s 3 and 14, but they were still different.
Mr Hurricane

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2007, 08:48:55 AM »
Different people find different things difficult, so it’s hard to judge.

Newcastle GC par 3’s are all quite hard.
They measure –
3rd – 240y
7th – 162y
12th – 191y
16th – 233y

It is generally windy & the greens are not overly large & well bunkered. In fact, the shortest of those, the 7th, can be the most difficult as the wind blows the ball around from a tee on the highest part of the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back