News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Glynn

Re:Best Short Par 3
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2007, 11:09:01 AM »
I really like the 7th at RCD but am I alone in thinking the hole would be better if you could actually see the front right portion of the green? ie if that mounding wasnt there/tee was more elevated?

Sean Leary

« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2007, 11:22:01 AM »
Patrick,

I don't know if you are alone, but that is what makes the hole great in my opinion...

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2007, 11:28:27 AM »
I agree its a great hole & I can see why the bank adds to it BUT I think if the tee was raised just a little more and you just could make out the right side of the green, it would be a stronger hole. I am not really sure why TBH, I am quite new to this GCA lark. I actually really like blind shots & guess work and the tee shot on 5 at RCD is my favorite tee shot ever.

Thinking out loud here, but if the bank didnt visually impare your playing of the hole, yet was still there to kick your ball left & off down into the bunker I think it would be better. Basically, the green would be saying you have a 8' x 12' spot to hit into that you can see, and if you dont you are stuggling for par...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 11:34:52 AM by Patrick Glynn »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2007, 11:31:34 AM »
I agree its a great hole & I can see why the bank makes adds to it BUT I think if the tee was raised just a little more and you just make out the right side of the green, it would be a stronger hole IMHO. I am not really sure why TBH, I am quite new to this GCA lark. I actually really like blind shots & guess work and the tee shot on 5 at RCD is my favorite tee shot ever.

Thinking out loud here, but if the bank didnt visually impare your playing of the hole, yet was still there to kick your ball left & off down into the bunker I think it would be better. Basically, the green would be saying you have a 8' x 12' spot to hit into that you can see, and if you dont you are stuggling for par...

From what we saw during the Walker Cup, the effective target area is actually less than 8' x 12', maybe bathtub sized!  C.B. MacDonald wanted to test the player's proficiency with a short iron on his Short holes, but I think #7 RCD is the best test anywhere.   As you say above - if you don't hit that spot, you are struggling for par.  Well said.

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2007, 11:40:50 AM »
In a sentence:

The landing area is so small & the green complex so challenging, that you dont need to add an element of guess work to increase difficulty.

???

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2007, 09:49:30 PM »
Much like 8 at Troon, 11 at Shinny takes your breath away with its greatness. I love the beauty of 15 at Cypress. I has always been my favorite hole on earth. However I think 8, 11 and 11 at TOC are the best short 3's period.

Gene Greco

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2007, 10:37:55 PM »
maidstone has to be considered for best short par 3, not only one hole but two.  

and #14

Bet a few hearts skipped a beat or two when pictures were posted of these two splendid holes at The Maidstone, the blind par 3 8th and the stunning 14th with the ocean backdrop.

I'm sure Tom Paul is wistful of the bare beauties sunning themselves just beyond..

Good goin', RG.    
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Lester George

« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2007, 10:50:37 AM »
Best ones Ive played in no particular order:

17-Sand Hills

18-Old White

17-Seminole

11-St Andrews

8-Troon

10-Pine Valley

More Later

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2007, 11:30:40 AM »
#2 at Brancepeth Castle

« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:31:42 AM by jonny D »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2007, 09:56:53 PM »
Jonny

Pity about that path. As it was:

It would be nice to see more pics of Brancepeth...a dedicated thread?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2007, 08:53:56 AM »
3 from Oz - under 130m
NSW GC (17A)
Barnbougle 7
Wollongong (Old) 15

3 from O/S:
Royal Troon 8 (and 8A)
Saunton (E) 5
Ballybunion (Old) 8

SPDB

« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2007, 10:41:47 AM »
I don't see how TOC #11 can possibly qualify as a "short par
3." Neither, for that matter, do I understand how 8 qualifies
either.

Earlier in this thread Evan Smith mentioned the short 6th at
Portstewart, which I thought was a good choice. The tricky
thing about this hole (and many others at Portstewart) is that
from the tee the large sandhill shelters you from the stiff
breezes that blow off the strand and the river. The green is
exposed and often a nice tee shot will emerge from the tee
hollow and be whipped around by the wind. It makes accuracy
very important, as well as being able to shape a shot to hold
against the breeze, the severity of which you are often not
aware of while standing on the tee.

As Evan mentions, what you can't see from that picture is the sharp drop off left
of the hole. Here is a view taken well left of the green looking back up (from the
5th fairway).

Jed Peters

« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2007, 10:44:13 AM »
Teeth of the Dog #5

Most definitely.

Although, after the re-do, it now plays to 185....Although I hit 8 iron there (3 club wind).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back