News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Pozaric

Re:Is this the best opening tee shot in links golf?
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 02:29:54 PM »

I am going to have to cry foul - any picture taken by Aiden will look better than most taken by us mere mortals!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 02:30:27 PM by Steve Pozaric »
Steve Pozaric

Philip Gawith

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2007, 02:35:09 PM »
I did not Adrian - you live and learn! I think the metaphor that best captures the Saunton experience is the one of feeling you standing above the battlefield, surveying the scene, and then will descend to enter the fray! Not that Saunton is quite so gory!

Pat Howard

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 03:52:37 PM »
I was lucky enough to play several great links courses in Ireland and Scotland for my highschool senior trip (sure beats Cancun!) and two of my favorite first tee shots were Portstewart and St. Andrews. Portstewart purely for the view and surrounding beauty and St. Andrews for the shiver it sends down your back! ;)

Evan_Smith

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 11:12:25 PM »
I initially posted this photo of Portstewart, but then removed it because I thought it was too large and messed up the thread (I hate having to scroll) but then I received a compliment from a GCA'er, so I'm putting it back up.

This panorama shows more the of the beautiful surroundings that is the 1st Tee at Portstewart.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 11:14:03 PM by Evan_Smith »

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 11:24:03 PM »
Portstewart #1 tee Box

Aidan,

Is that morning light or evening? My guess is evening and most golfers get to see that only at the end of the round as they look longingly back towards what was the start of a memorable round.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 12:35:18 AM »
I despair the desire to pick the "best" of anything.  Following are Saunton (looking in the opposite direction as Phillip's picture); Machrihanish; Royal Aberdeen, and Ardglass (one of my favourite opening holes).  They all look decidedly different.  How can you not love any of them?  How could anyone say that any of them are the best?  If the criteria for "links" is dunes, then I guess Saunton is it.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 03:28:09 AM »
How else could you have been provoked to post such a great set of pictures Bryan!!?? I am unrepentant if this is the outcome. I particularly like the Saunton picture. Can you remind me where Ardglass is?

Ed Tilley

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 04:46:08 AM »
How else could you have been provoked to post such a great set of pictures Bryan!!?? I am unrepentant if this is the outcome. I particularly like the Saunton picture. Can you remind me where Ardglass is?

It is about 15 miles NE of Royal County Down in N.Ireland.

James Edwards

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 05:23:16 AM »
Without sounding obvious  ;D my two picks would be TOC>>  still for me the most thrilling tee shot in golf... especially when your name is announced... I was fortunate to have this in the links trophy.. and my 2nd pick would be Doonbeg... another elevated tee (if someone has a picture I would appreciate it)  Interesting the New breed and the Old lady clashing....

Saunton West has the most difficult first tee shot when the wind is hurricane left to right with OB all down it and the range sheds saying ""hit me"", ""hit me!!""  Watch out for the double cross and the THICK rough on tuther side!! but then again, this happens frequently at classics like Prestwick with the railway and even Troon to a certain extent with the sea.  Royal Cinque Ports although wide sets up a thrilling encounter with the clubhouse if sliced  ::)....

Machrinhanish has to be up there though for pure excitement and getting your attention from the get go!
@EDI__ADI

RichMacafee

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 05:42:36 AM »
Without sounding obvious  ;D my two picks would be TOC>>  still for me the most thrilling tee shot in golf... especially when your name is announced... I was fortunate to have this in the links trophy..

I've had this experience in a Links Trophy also James. It is hard to believe you can be so nervous when there is a fairway that wide in front of you!
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Marc Haring

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 07:12:59 AM »
I also have played Saunton many times, going right back to the 70's. It's amazing how many regard it as a special place, even those that have not a clue about golf course architecture which is nice as it shows that not all golfers are swayed by the corporate image.

I don't think a composite is possible but yes it is true that there are many fine holes on the west and it does visit the dunes much more than the east.

Here's another less dramatic view of that first tee shot.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 11:17:53 AM »
Phillip, no need to be repentent.  Thank you for reminding me of my good fortune to have played those four courses.  It's a big world and all good.

Phil McDade

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2007, 11:44:25 AM »
Have they always staked the beach at Machrihanish? I thought I recall, when playing there in 1999, that the beach was in play. At least I recall playing one from there...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back