News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Laurent

Wickenburg Ranch
« on: September 04, 2007, 09:30:01 PM »
I was in Phoenix over the holiday weekend, and on our drive up to Prescott, we passed through the town of Wickenburg.  I noticed a sign for the upcoming Wickenburg Ranch project which will include an 18 hole golf course.

Does anyone know who is designing this layout?  Their website does not provide much info.  It looks like they have a nice piece of land to work with...some rolling terrain and great vistas.  
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Tom Yost

Re:Wickenburg Ranch
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 12:01:53 PM »
I called the number on the website, but the folks I spoke to were not aware of who the GCA is.  They indicated a late 2008 or early '09 opening, so certainly the design is in process by now...

Perhaps Forrest has some insight?

Tom

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 12:05:03 PM »
Brian:

Can't help you with Wickenberg Ranch. There is an Old Dude Ranch/Resort called Rancho De Los Caballeros in Wickenberg that has a fun course. A very nice place to stay- relaxed, quiet, and unassuming. Also a great museum- the Desert Caballeros Museum- in the heart of town.

Wickenberg does have some interesting terrain and I would not be suprised to see more golf development ou there in the future, as the west valley and Sun City areas are filling up.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 10:13:35 PM »
The property is the former Merv Griffin Wickenburg Inn and Dude Ranch of about 2500 acres. The developer is M3 Properties. They developed Prescott Lakes in AZ where there is a Hale Irwin golf course.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom Yost

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 09:19:18 AM »
The property is the former Merv Griffin Wickenburg Inn and Dude Ranch of about 2500 acres. The developer is M3 Properties. They developed Prescott Lakes in AZ where there is a Hale Irwin golf course.

Side note:  I nominate Mr. Irwin's web site as the "most useless web site" of the year.    

http://www.haleirwininternational.com/

Tom

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Wickenburg Ranch
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »
Apparently the golf course has been constructed but may not be open for play. There's a picture in this article:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/surprise/articles/20131011wickenburg-debates-annexation-plan.html

Here's a rendering of the proposed clubhouse which I doubt will ever be built:

http://phxarch.com/projects/hospitality/wickenburg-ranch-clubhouse.php

Here's the developer:

http://www.m3companiesllc.com/communities/wickenburgranch/

Wendell Pickett is listed here as the course architect:
http://desertreflectionsllc.com/the_team_gmallory.htm

I thought this was going to be a Fazio design.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 11:07:18 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 06:28:06 PM »
The course isn't open yet but will be after the development officially opens to the public sometime in 2014. Don't know yet if it will be public or private.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:14:36 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 02:04:15 PM »
Shea Homes is the new developer.Trilogy is their "active adult" community designation.  Don't know when the golf course will open:

http://www.trilogylife.com/communities/arizona/wickenburg-ranch/

Steve_ Shaffer

Tom Yost

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 11:09:45 AM »
Interesting to note that this course has been turfed and maintained for at least five years, a victim of unfortunate timing and the economic downturn.  Pretty sure the original intent was a private golf community but I would be surprised if private aspect remains.

In 2011, I played at a GolfWRX outing that was attended by one of the M3 partners and his son. The son was eager to set up an outing to WR but it never worked out.  I think they only had a handful of carts at the time and there may have been insurance concerns.

I can only imagine how keen they must be to get this project relaunched.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 03:09:06 PM »
Update:

Shea Homes is opening one of its Trilogy retirement communities in Wickenburg, northwest of metro Phoenix.

The homebuilder is planning to construct 2,000 houses at Trilogy at Wickenburg Ranch. Trilogy is being marketed as a luxury-resort community with high-end amenities. Sales are expected to start early next year, but prices are not yet finalized

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/real-estate/catherine-reagor/2014/10/14/shea-homes-plans-retirement-community-wickenburg/17280915/

I prefer the term "Active Adult" rather than "Retirement Community"  ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:54:18 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
Update:

Shea Homes is opening one of its Trilogy retirement communities in Wickenburg, northwest of metro Phoenix.

The homebuilder is planning to construct 2,000 houses at Trilogy at Wickenburg Ranch. Trilogy is being marketed as a luxury-resort community with high-end amenities. Sales are expected to start early next year, but prices are not yet finalized

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/real-estate/catherine-reagor/2014/10/14/shea-homes-plans-retirement-community-wickenburg/17280915/

I prefer the term "Active Adult" rather than "Retirement Community"  ;D

Even though you are happily and actively retired?   ;D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 09:56:39 PM »
Bill,

I'm still golfing and not doing Arts& Crafts... yet.  ;D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 12:13:47 AM »
The golf course will open for public play in early February next year with rates from $75 until May. Summer rates through September will be from $40.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 11:02:59 PM »
Breaking news...

February 7. 2015 is the opening date for public play.

Dave Givnish

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 10:39:18 PM »
Steve

Let's get a group to play it.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 12:09:47 AM »

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 08:56:33 PM »
OK.........................  So I have been in Arizona for about two years now, and as of the 2nd of January I have been working as the Assistant Superintendent at Wickenburg Ranch.  Before, I was at a very bland club that didn't do much for me in the architectural sense.  When I went out and interviewed at Wickenburg Ranch it blew me away.  I have been having a blast out there every day since.

To give a little about the course

7- Par 4's
6- Par 3's
5- Par 5's

It is an interesting routing, but I can guarantee you that no two holes are alike, and all are memorable.  The topography is in the rolling hills and offers many breathtaking views.  The bunkers are well placed and grand which blends in with the scale of the property.  The bent grass greens (which are honestly the best greens I have ever putted on) have a good amount of undulation to make it interesting.  We have to watch ourselves because they can get real quick, real fast.   I am really excited to see how people rate this place and what they think of it.  IMO it is definitely a top 10 course in Arizona. 

I will post a full course pictorial in a couple of days. 

The course officially opens tomorrow.  February 7th, 2015......

If you are a sucker for good conditions, I can guarantee you that no course in Arizona can match our conditions.  We have been closed all winter to make sure everything is perfect, but still I will say it again.  Our greens will be some of the best bent grass greens you will ever putt on. 

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 11:53:47 PM »
I'm hoping to get out and visit, Peter.

But I left a message inquiring about a tee time on Tuesday ... and still haven't heard back. Not impressed with that part so far. I'll be sure to try calling again once the place is officially open, but considering how many ads they're running, they should be able to return their messages.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 10:57:57 AM »
The course is very popular. Tee times are booked until mid March! I think play is limited and tee time intervals are 10 minutes.

http://www.wickenburgranch.com/wickenburg-ranch/

Dave Givnish

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 07:10:58 PM »
Peter -

I'm looking forward to playing it this Sunday afternoon. Good luck.

David Stamm

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 10:26:21 AM »
May the golf gods have mercy and those who fear forced carries. There sure looks like a lot of them there.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Yost

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 09:15:27 AM »
May the golf gods have mercy and those who fear forced carries. There sure looks like a lot of them there.

Without analyzing the hole diagrams and having not actually played the course, I should comment that this is not unusual for desert style layouts which do typically involve tee to turf carries.  Mostly a matter of limiting the area of needed irrigation.  I guess it's just something we are used to seeing here in Arizona.

Dave Givnish

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 10:53:53 AM »
I was part of two groups that played this past Sunday. We all enjoyed the course very much. It is in excellent condition, and Joe Passov was right about the greens. They are private club quality.

A side trip from Phoenix/Scottsdale out to Wickenburg to play this and Los Cabelleros would be more dependable than a side trip the other way to Apache Stronghold. It's about 30 to 40 minutes past Quintero. Try it. They are still working out some kinks as the clubhouse construction hasn't started. The course is also competing with the real estate which is drawing literally thousands of lookers over the weekend. 1990's AZ real estate is back, I guess.

The course is friendly off the tee. There's a good deal of movement in the ground as if they mostly just cleaned up the desert floor and grassed it. Some in our group thought that it might even be a bit hilly for what will be a senior lifestyle real estate community. Most of the greens are elevated and there are about a half dozen blind shots. The second is a par 3 and the shot to the green from the back tees is partially blind. Nine is a long uphill par 5. I think that the hole is called "The Hill" and that is steep enough that your second, and maybe even your third shot, is blind.

There are six par 3s and 5 par 5s. You could walk the course but there are a few long green to tee stretches. They are building a short course - at least according to one of the signs by the 16th hole.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 06:07:42 PM »
The short course is going to be built on the old driving range.    It will be a 9 hole par three course with holes ranging from 100 to 182 yards.   3 holes will be up on the bluff to the left of hole 16 and then 6 holes will be down in the flat where the old driving range is.   From the plans that I have heard it is going to be quite the atmosphere.   It will be lighted with music going.    A huge hang out area in the middle of the 9 holes with a giant tv, grills, coolers, etc.  so members can hang out and watch golf or football with their buddies.   They have a routing for 18 holes but they are going to do the nine holes first and see how it goes and if it is a big success they will build the other nine to make it a full 18 hole par three course.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back