News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Done and dusted
« Reply #300 on: August 25, 2020, 09:08:17 AM »
That has to be unique in golf.

Therefore, they've flipped the nines to start on what we know as the 10th. Play through the 16th and then off you go wherever you wish.

I can imagine some visitors will head off down Hackett 1 by mistake after the 11th and end up playing 20 holes. Not the worst mistake you could make!

Just delighted that you're finally getting the backing from the club. Can't wait to see it with you...and Mulranny on the way.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #301 on: August 25, 2020, 10:00:04 AM »
Great seeing Carne coming into it's own and should become a must play for visitors. Mulranney really takes you back to when golf was such simple fun and is a wonderful experience as is Cruit Island.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #302 on: August 25, 2020, 10:24:33 AM »
Almost more than any other BUDA, this one made me keen to get back and explore the area (and its golf) more.  And having arrived late, I only got one round at Carne, so really keen to get back there.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #303 on: August 25, 2020, 11:09:26 AM »
Mark

You sadly missed out on the Mulranny prologue. Just about as joyous as links golf can get. Simple, rustic and so, so endearing.
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Garland Bayley

« Reply #304 on: August 25, 2020, 11:09:53 AM »
Great seeing Carne coming into it's own and should become a must play for visitors. Mulranney really takes you back to when golf was such simple fun and is a wonderful experience as is Cruit Island.

Tom Coyne would let you know that Carne always has been a must play (and i concur).
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #305 on: August 25, 2020, 11:11:44 AM »
Mark

You sadly missed out on the Mulranny prologue. Just about as joyous as links golf can get. Simple, rustic and so, so endearing.

I concur.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Pearce

« Reply #306 on: August 25, 2020, 11:24:07 AM »
Mark

Don't rub it in.....

One day soon, I hope.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #307 on: August 25, 2020, 12:47:54 PM »
Ally,
Thanks for the update. That's very good news. Hope to get back there in the next few years.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #308 on: August 01, 2023, 05:21:21 PM »
Somewhere special.
For those who were at the Carne Buda likely some memories.
For those who haven’t been a look at what you might find should you venture there.
A YouTube piece by Kevin Markham - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2hXgYkcM7xg&t=686s
Enjoy.
Atb

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #309 on: August 03, 2023, 05:20:29 PM »
That was wonderful. Good of Kevin to give Ally his due credit for a magnificent design.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #310 on: August 03, 2023, 11:49:11 PM »
I read Jim Engh did the routing and Ally McIntoshdid the work, is that accurate?  A number of other places now attribute both.  Early it seemed Engh received the credit and Ally didn't.  I heard there has been a bit of a falling out with Engh and don't know the details.

I played Awarii Dunes a couple weeks ago (the week before going to Carne) and Engh named a set of tees at Awarii the Belmullet tees.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #311 on: August 04, 2023, 04:37:36 AM »
Joe,

Jim Engh worked there from around 2004 to 2007. During that time, he routed 9 holes (none of which remain exactly) and then gradually tweaked that routing with Eamon Mangan. This included some initial construction work. Quite a few of those hole corridors remain in the final routing.

The project had halted by the time I got involved with Eamon in 2010. I asked to spend time on the routing to make sure we had the best solution possible, all the while knowing that there would be no appetite for wholesale change / starting again. In the end, much of the skeleton that was in place made the final cut but 1 to 3 were completely changed. Then we spent 2010-2013 building the course.

Since that time, there had been very little capital funds. But the company has now got on a much steadier footing. The condition of the new nine finally came up to that of the existing 18, hence the introduction of the Wild Atlantic Dunes course. And I finally got back down there last November to do some proper construction work, building a new practice putting green and completely reconfiguring the three tee complexes that leave from the clubhouse.

The intent is to slowly continue with this master plan over the next few years with initial focus on re-bunkering and the path network.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 05:14:31 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #312 on: August 04, 2023, 09:57:07 AM »
I'm excited to get back there and see the changes. When I first played Carne in 2019, I stood on (what I thought was) the first tee and aimed down (what I thought was) the first fairway ... and couldn't pull the trigger because I have never been so unsure of what I was looking at in all my years of playing golf. I waited until someone came walking by to start his back 9 and asked him which fairway was the 1st, and he laughed and said it was his first time there and he wasn't sure. He had just teed off, found his ball, and kept playing up the hole he was on. When I went back last summer, I still wasn't sure where I was supposed to go.

Part of me wished they'd just commit to the Wild Atlantic Dunes routing and let the rest grow in. Or invest in much better signage. Because in several spots, it is very easy to find yourself playing the wrong hole on the wrong course.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #313 on: August 04, 2023, 12:15:55 PM »
I'm excited to get back there and see the changes. When I first played Carne in 2019, I stood on (what I thought was) the first tee and aimed down (what I thought was) the first fairway ... and couldn't pull the trigger because I have never been so unsure of what I was looking at in all my years of playing golf. I waited until someone came walking by to start his back 9 and asked him which fairway was the 1st, and he laughed and said it was his first time there and he wasn't sure. He had just teed off, found his ball, and kept playing up the hole he was on. When I went back last summer, I still wasn't sure where I was supposed to go.
Part of me wished they'd just commit to the Wild Atlantic Dunes routing and let the rest grow in. Or invest in much better signage. Because in several spots, it is very easy to find yourself playing the wrong hole on the wrong course.

Whisper it quietly but a fourball of us who attended the epic 2016 Buda at Carne saw Elvis to the right of the 6th fairway on the Kilmore-9. Later investigations revealed that he’d been hiding out there for decades and grazing in the paddock behind his house is usually Shergar. Apparently Lord Lucan lives nearby but Jimmy Hoffa moved away a few years ago.
Honest!
:)
Atb

Garland Bayley

« Reply #314 on: August 04, 2023, 06:01:53 PM »
More Carne on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/lykvi3l0Ov4

Garland Bayley

« Reply #315 on: August 04, 2023, 06:58:13 PM »
Somewhere special.
For those who were at the Carne Buda likely some memories.
For those who haven’t been a look at what you might find should you venture there.
A YouTube piece by Kevin Markham - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2hXgYkcM7xg&t=686s
Enjoy.
Atb

I notice that the "Wild" 8th (Kilmore 5) has some mowing up the short cut to the green that wasn’t there at Buda. How much of that route is mowed out at fairway height now? My experience with the "devil's elbow" (never finished the hole) would make me avoid future plays of an 18 that had that hole.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #316 on: August 04, 2023, 08:22:16 PM »
Ally thanks for the inside perspective.

Dan I like the Wild Atlantic Dunes course more but I'm very happy that the Hackett routing is still in play as the bit of rest on the (now) back 9 of the Hackett is an enjoyable reprieve from some really tough holes.  Not saying they are easy but definitely an easier walk.

I do agree more signage would help out.  There is a white aiming stone on the Wild Atlantic Dunes 13th and think something like different color aiming stones for each hole with the hole number on the stones.

Also to add to confusion one round we joined a pair of singles and on the 9th hole we realized one was given the Hacket score card and the other the wild Atlantic scorecard.

I notice that the "Wild" 8th (Kilmore 5) has some mowing up the short cut to the green that wasn’t there at Buda. How much of that route is mowed out at fairway height now? My experience with the "devil's elbow" (never finished the hole) would make me avoid future plays of an 18 that had that hole.

The google earth aerial is from May 2023, and is the way I played it in July.  It's not all mowed to fairway height but there is a good amount that is mowed down.  One of my favorite holes.

Did you not finish the hole because you tried to carry the dune?  I have always tried to carry the dune and only once reached the green.  My wife has never tried to carry the dune but also has no expectations of reaching the green in 3.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 08:24:06 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Greg Hohman

« Reply #317 on: August 04, 2023, 10:31:49 PM »
I misread the subject as “Drone and dusted,” expecting a spy-cam capture of unredacted evidence.
newmonumentsgc.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #318 on: August 05, 2023, 01:55:47 AM »
Thanks Joe,

Not knowing the hole I tried to play around devil's elbow by judging what club I should hit to see able fairway that I could see after my tee shot. Each time I hit it into the very thick rough for a lost ball. Playing a four-ball meant taking my partner's score for the hole.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #319 on: August 05, 2023, 12:36:12 PM »
Google Earth has images from 2010 before Buda, and 2019 and later after Buda. Nothing from when we were there. Below is the 2010 image which appears to me to be a better version of the hole. This of course is with the caveat that I have played neither the 2010 version, nor the version posted by Joe. The terrain surrounding the elbow was so severe when we were there it seems to me that choosing to go that way in the 2010 version would be an option for very few average golfers like me.

DevilsElbowCarne2010 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 07:39:50 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #320 on: August 05, 2023, 12:49:30 PM »
Can anyone see the picture in the last post? I briefly flashes on my screen then disappears. It has been a long time since I tried to post Flickr pictures, so I don't know what to do to fix.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #321 on: August 05, 2023, 12:54:38 PM »
Can anyone see the picture in the last post? I briefly flashes on my screen then disappears. It has been a long time since I tried to post Flickr pictures, so I don't know what to do to fix.

I can see it on my phone so it appears to be an issue with some setting on my computer.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #322 on: August 05, 2023, 04:20:49 PM »
It’s there
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Thomas Dai

« Reply #323 on: September 12, 2023, 09:22:35 AM »
A reminder for those who were there in 2016 just how special Carne is - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd-RJEd0N2Q&feature=shared
And well worth watching for those who haven’t been.

Enjoy :)
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back