News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Trump awarded planning permission for Scottish course
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 03:51:25 PM »
First, if the course is relative to anything Trump puts his name on, (or his hair), excluding the Trump Tower in Chicago,
it will be a giant pile of Scottish sheep turds, gold, waterfalls, and wasted space.  Let's also note that while good looking,
the Trump Tower is over half-empty.  I don't think the old Scottish real estate market is faring much better than 
graft-ville (Chicago).

Second, the environment does not need more golf courses, especially one built by the most ludicrous and assinine celebrity businessman.  He is a lousy developer who seeks luxury over aesthetics, and audacity over discretion.

Third, Trump cheats at golf.  A friend of mine used to caddy at Trump National, and has witnessed first hand, Trump's caddy's
drop wedge routine.  "Trump doesn't lose a ball," is what the caddy master used to say up there.  Cheaters should be barred
from building golf courses, or putting their footprint near a course in golf's motherland.

I hope the environmental terrorists get to Trump's work before Trump gets to work.

Andrew

2nd post! What was the first one? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »

A great place for The BUDDA CUP. Along with Cruden Bay and Aberdeen.

Anthony

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 06:09:07 PM »

A great place for The BUDDA CUP. Along with Cruden Bay and Aberdeen.

Anthony
For once you are correct, the Kings Links, Balnagask, and Hazlehead would be ideal .

Adam Clayman

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 11:26:41 PM »
I just google earth the area. It was my first time doing that. What struck me was how Scotland looked from the sky. Almost every inch was taken up by farms, towns, links etc. Except for this area. Is there a reason for that?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 02:56:26 AM »
Adam
Just move a little north a bit, past Newburgh golf course, and the other side of the river Ythan .

I think that piece of land is even better than the one Trump bought.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 09:17:50 AM »
Thanx Brian.
 My question seemed to imply there must be some logical reason that ground has been left untouched, until now. Implying a less desirable piece of ground. Considering that's part of the definition for links golf, "unsuitable for anything else", maybe the previous owners just held out longer before cashing on the sale of their property??

The one hold out, the thorn in Donald's side, where is his property in relation to the property?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David_Tepper

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 09:35:55 AM »
Adam Clayman -

The land Trump is planning to develop was considered a site of special scientific interest and thought to be pretty much off limits to any development.

DT

Adam Clayman

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 09:42:05 AM »
David, I recall that caveat. How long has that SSI been in place? 30 years?

Is it near the beach where a certain Seal resides?

I'm having trouble figuring exactly where this specific ground is. The map has a shaded area over Newburgh. Just north of that, on the coast, is a cool looking cove complete with a beach that looks awfully enticing. Is the shaded area the SSI?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »
Thanx Brian.
 My question seemed to imply there must be some logical reason that ground has been left untouched, until now. Implying a less desirable piece of ground. Considering that's part of the definition for links golf, "unsuitable for anything else", maybe the previous owners just held out longer before cashing on the sale of their property??

The one hold out, the thorn in Donald's side, where is his property in relation to the property?

Adam, that's a strange idea - That every single piece of land has to have a "use".

There is plenty of land in Scotland that just lies dormant for its beauty or because not everyone is thinking about "cashing in".... I can assure you that the land is very desirable...

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 09:51:28 AM »
David, I recall that caveat. How long has that SSI been in place? 30 years?

Is it near the beach where a certain Seal resides?

I'm having trouble figuring exactly where this specific ground is. The map has a shaded area over Newburgh. Just north of that, on the coast, is a cool looking cove complete with a beach that looks awfully enticing. Is the shaded area the SSI?

Adam, the shaded area is not the SSSI... whatever it is is to do with Google Earth mapping... You are looking in the wrong place north of Newburgh... That's where Brian Ewen will be building his golf course...

Type in "Balmedie" and go due east from the town. Then track north... The first sand dome you see is part of Balmedie Estate... Track a few miles north and you will come to another sand dome (and another smaller one just north of that) that is the Menie Estate. The back 9 is based around that dome... The front nine is back to the south of that...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 10:31:48 AM »
Between Newburgh and Colleston?   Looks wild!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 10:43:21 AM »
Ally, Your description was wonderful.

As for the land use, I was referring to one of the definitions of Links land. I assumed it had to do with the fact that the soil was no good for farming and undesirable for dwellings, being too exposed (?) or not near potable water source. Both assumptions on my part. I did not mean to imply every inch of land has a suitable use.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »

Adam,

From another thread, a year or so ago, here is an overlay of the course, at that time, onto the Google map.  The area is located as described by Ally.

I think I'll bump that thread up.  I'm still surprised that so few on GCA want to discuss/debate the merit of the actual course design, albeit still only on paper.

The thorn in the side property is located at the end of the white road to the west of the 8th green in the lower half of the map below.

Niall C

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 12:04:21 PM »
Adam

You've posted on more than one occasion with the assumption that routinely links land is not used which quite simply not the case. Links land in general may not have been used for planting crops for obvious reasons but it is/was certainly used for keeping livestock along with a number of other social and economic uses one of which happens to be golf.

I can't say what the situation is with Balmedie but if it wasn't used for something historically the chances are that it was too remote from the nearest settlement to be used. The status as an SSSI would have been established in relatively recent years and wouldn't necessarily have precluded the keeping of livestock for instance. For example Machrihanish Dunes was built on a SSSI that was used for grazing of cattle right up until they started construction.

You are however quite right that Scotland like the rest of the UK is quite intensely developed compared to somewhere like to US, and the reason is simply that the UK is a small island with a lot of people living on it.

Bryan

Thats a great graphic. With all that sand you wonder what kind of trouble they are going top store up for themselves in the future in trying to keep it at bay.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »
For anyone interested, here's a link to the Site on SNH's marvellous 'SiteLink' website:

http://gateway.snh.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=53,910305,53_922284&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&PA_CODE=1404&NEW_WINDOW=false

Reading some of the designation documents, it's pretty clear that Aberdeenshire Cooncil have simply run roughshod over the original spirit of the TripleSI.
Still, it's only some sand and birds, after all.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back