News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Golf's Busiest Day of The Year.......
« on: November 23, 2006, 05:47:21 PM »
At least it is in SoCal.

It's going to be a beautiful day here tomorrow but what day isn't beautiful in SoCal? Anyway, Where are some of you playing at on what is Golf's most busiest day. Anything good architecturally?

Me, well I'm playing Goose Creek.

Goose Creek preceeded Rustic Canyon as a throw-back to the days of affordable public in a market place that certainly needed it. While the price to play has risen, the place is always packed. I was thrilled the first time I played it, completely amazed at the fun strategies and the fact that this is the type of golf that needed to get built not just in SoCal, but throughout the world!

The holes are strategic and fun, as are most of the greensites which feature hidden crowns and drop-off's that will have you talking to yourself. The course is totally walkable and it's also on some really good soil--right next to the Santa Ana River.

Here is the website:
http://www.golfgoosecreek.com/gcgc/home.htm

Google Image Here

Gib_Papazian

Re:Golf's Busiest Day of The Year.......
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 05:58:57 PM »
I am beginning to come around to the idea that Schmidt and Curley are the single most under-rated and under-appreciated design team in architecture today.

It seems like the DeVries, Harbottle, Hanse and Silva types all have a cheering section, yet somehow these guys don't get enough dap for their work - I really dig all the S&C courses I have been lucky enough to play.

Why is that Tommy? I don't understand it.

If my memory serves -and I might be wrong - didn't they build and co-design that Faldo track at Desert Ridge in Phoenix?

That golf course was wonderful. I'm told those dumkopfhs at Marriott overseeded the golf course the 2nd year, ruining the wonderful dormant Bermuda playing surface.

It showed off the design beautifully - which makes me wonder why, when overseeding courses designed to play fast & firm, Superintendents do not do so sparingly.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 06:00:20 PM by Gib Papazian »

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 06:19:40 PM »
Clearly, Gib, it's because the superintendents don't run the show. I would think they, as a group, understand what a great surface dormant bermuda can be. But when competing for the snowbirds' green fees, you have to be green.

I would add, though, that on high traffic courses the bermuda can get worn out, whereas the rye is quickly reestablished.

I didn't know about Desert Ridge, but I'll be in Phoenix in a few week, so I'll try to get over there.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 06:26:28 PM »
Jim, perhaps you know - or somebody in the Treehouse:

Is it possible to do a "light" overseed? That way the surface would be still be fast enough to show off the architecture, regrow quickly so as to get through the snowbird season and still be sorta-kinda green.

I see nothing wrong with advertising as a "links course that plays as golf was meant to be enjoyed."

I'm probably sounding like an idiot here, but I've wondered this for a long time.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 11:37:02 AM by Gib Papazian »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 06:26:48 PM »
Gib,
I agree, S&C are deeply underated, but at KPV, we gave the masses two really good, albeit similar courses and most were just so-so on them. They didn't think much of the courses or the clubs which to me was sort of a disappointment considering just how cool both clubs really are. (Don't get me wrong, most appreciated the weekend, but were enamored with them as golf clubs, or at least they were 50/50.)

If I was forming a club, I would use both of them as a model, staffs included!

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 06:30:17 PM »
It will be over 70 degrees in Athens Ga tomorrow...and will be biggest golf day of the year....
Tommy....let me know something.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 06:34:33 PM »
Gib- I don't know. I have seen courses that overseeded just the tees and greens.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Jfaspen

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 08:39:22 PM »
Gib,
I agree, S&C are deeply underated, but at KPV, we gave the masses two really good, albeit similar courses and most were just so-so on them. They didn't think much of the courses or the clubs which to me was sort of a disappointment considering just how cool both clubs really are. (Don't get me wrong, most appreciated the weekend, but were enamored with them as golf clubs, or at least they were 50/50.)

If I was forming a club, I would use both of them as a model, staffs included!

Tommy, I'd be happy to hang out at the Plantation club for the rest of my days..  But I'm in the minority of enjoying that course more than the Palms..

Gerry B

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 08:56:21 PM »
happy thanksgiving to all GCA'ers south of the border

i will be at atlantic city cc fri and sat - could get some aqua tomorrow / sat should be great. last weekend the course was all world - the greens were the best they have been in sometime - course played closer to 7000 yards than the 6600 yds on the card. as i have mentioned previously on gca -the place is a gem - took a group from western pa - who are members of oakmont, rolling rock, sunnehana, etc -and they were all blown away by the place

Tom Doak's restoration work there is a lesson on how it should be done.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 09:45:42 PM »
Somewhat shockingly its supposed to be 57 and sunny here in South Bend tomorrow so I'm going to get in one more round before the snow flies next week (actually supposed to be nice through the weekend...so maybe 2-3 more rounds!)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 09:58:08 PM »
It will be in the low 70's and clear here in lovely Lafayette, La. I am playing at 7:50AM with Paul Jones who posts on here occasionally and a few fellow members at Oakbourne CC before adjorning to the house to get ready for a focused watching of the LSU game. A great day for golf it is.

dsilk

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 11:14:18 PM »
annual post- turkey day one club tourney at Black Rock CC in Hingham, Ma- 5 iron is the club of choice... though cold weather in New England makes mishits feel like a fastball in march on my brittle hands(when i could get a bat on it, that is...)
peace
ds

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 03:41:29 AM »
Silky,
You have to reemmber, I'm from California. We had hockey for kids, but few played it if they could even afford all of the equipment! But what does the stick feel like when hitting a puck bare-handed? ;)

Jeff,
I too could spend the rest of my days at the Plantation. It's just simply one of the best, most comfortable clubs I've ever visited. At least they make me feel that way.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 07:43:06 AM »
Gib:

It is indeed possible to do a light overseed as you describe.  They did it at The Legends in Myrtle Beach for a couple of years, and it looked great to me.

Tommy:

Believe it or not, I played Crystal Downs yesterday (Thanksgiving) and the weather was perfect (52 degrees).  It may be just as nice today.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »
Here on the east coast and I would guess in the mid-west and elsewhere where the climate is not as predictable as the west coast, the south and southwest at this time of year, Good Friday is perhaps the busiest day of the golfing year.

This weekend will be sunny and 55-60 in the Philadelphia area. I will not venture onto the golf course until tomorrow as we had an all day rain yesterday and slogging it around on the golf course is not my idea of fun.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 09:13:04 AM »
Gibby- Pacific Grove use to do a lite overseed. Throwing down just enough Rye seed to sprout up while the Kikuyu went dormy. It provided a patina of iridescent green leaving the Double K turf as firm as it gets.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 09:39:38 AM »
 8)

been dry for last week.. today its gonna be 75°F.. pure blue sky.. we have 1015HR tee time at WCC East Course (formerly TPC) with another couple, beautiful day for a walk

p.s. will be in mid 70's till end of next week

p.s.s. sparse overseeding of bermuda sucks... you see green from a distance, but there's nothing holding up the ball till middle/late in the winter and then its time for transition back to bermuda  ugly cycle.. atWCC we've come to overeed tee boxes, leave else alone.. at Resort they have overseeded in past
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John_Cullum

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 09:43:55 AM »

Is it possible to do a "light" overseed? That way the surface would be still be fast enough to show off the architecture, regrow quickly so as to get through the snowbird season and still be sorta-kinds green.

Our overseeding seems to get lighter every year-to save the owners money. This year we are already playing very firm. Its hard to tell the color this early in the season because our bermuda is not fully dormant, well it never is, but it will brown off some more in the next 5 weeks.

We spent 50,000 to overseed 36 holes, tee to green, excluding rough.

Yesterday our greens were Tom Paul 9-iron firm, and running at 12. (note a rare 4-putt for Sarge, making a testy to 4 footer for the privelege.) The greens are a little bit brown, but nobody is complaining about the roll.
Raynor was a hack

Noel Freeman

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 01:53:43 PM »
Well Tommy--Remember Tuco is in Las Vegas awaiting your emperor-ship's potential visit.. BTW, I had a dream last night Gil Hanse built the best course in this Vapid vestibule of horrible golf (Vegas).. Tommorrow I'm playing an Arnold Palmer course.. What joy!  It is surrounded by condos... I can't wait.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 01:53:59 PM by Noel Freeman »

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 02:32:07 PM »
Noel

You are playing golf at the end of November.  Be Happy my friend. The only sad part might be when you pay those exorbitant Las Vegas greens fees  ;D

Should be mid 50's here so tomorrow might have some golf too.

D_Malley

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 02:57:57 PM »
today at my club we sold every tee time, and turned away approx. 100 players trying to make tee times over the phone. municipal course in phila area.  weather is perfect for november.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2006, 03:06:42 PM »
Well, AZ was once again predictable ;) 78 and sunny with a slight breeze ;D Played 36 at Desert Mountain (Geronimo in the a.m. & Outlaw in the p.m.) then stuffed myself with stuffing, stuffing and more stuffing... Looks like TP's sexy ass from the KPV might be just a little bigger when the next event rolls around ;)'

With regards to Schmidt & Curley... A buddy of mine is a Design Associate for them here in Scottsdale, so I have had the pleasure of visiting the offices and seeing all of the cool routings, CAD, layouts, etc. as well as discussing design philosophy over more than a few beers at Zipps ;D As far as playing, I have played 4 designs, including Southern Dunes, Canoa Ranch, The Palms & The Plantation... I have enjoyed all of them, and like Tommy says, the atmosphere at both The Palms & The Plantation were both on golf time with more than a few moments for smiles, laughs and reflection. GREAT clubs with good golf courses... Don't get me wrong. I had a blast playing both courses, and working in the golf biz I understand the legwork that both Tommy and Dave put into getting all of us on those private clubs... I just haven't played a course from Curley & Schmidt that I thought was great. Really good, but not GREAT ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 01:20:12 AM »
Tony,
Played today with Brian Curley @ Goose Creek (I shot 78 by the way and took the skins pot!) and you want to talk about a course that is coming into it's own! Goose is low-buck thrills all of the way, but it's some pretty fun, strategic golf.

Sean Leary

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 02:06:27 AM »
Tommy,

Any word from Brian on the Sagecliff project here in WA state?

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 10:44:00 AM »
Sean,
 Yes, and of course I forgot to ask if I can post some of the stuff he gave me on it. It's pretty dramatic stuff.  I'll try to post it ASAP.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back