News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

Exmoor Country Club
« on: November 25, 2006, 09:16:21 AM »
Gentleman,
   Looking for a little more information on this course in Highland Park, IL. (North of Chicago) What I know is that it's an original Donald Ross course that was restored in 2003 by Ron Prichard. To what scale was the renovation work? Looks like the bunkers turned out pretty good! What type of membership is this-active golfing, seeks reconition, etc...anything would help. I'm trying to plan a small trip to Chicago next spring and am interested in seeing some of Mr. Prichards' work at Ross courses. Thanks

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom Roewer

Re:Exmoor Country Club
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 09:43:24 AM »
Tony:  If you go to the website it shows the guest golfer procedures.  They are beautiful.  Seems very traditional, so I hope that means the restoration followed in that attitude.  They are very clear on pace of play, and prohibit rangefinders and measuring devices which to me is to be applauded.

michael j fay

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 07:23:53 PM »
Exmoor was transformed by Prichard.

He removed the tree plantings of many different decades and opened the course in a fashion that improved the views but truly uncluttered the golf course. The routing had been altered to a small degree over the years and could not be recaptured fully.

When I played it in 2002 it was a very drab, unexciting course. I think that a number of fairway bunkers were removed over the years. I would say that most of the greens had been altered to some extent but not drastically.

There were no plans to consult so I think that Ron worked from eld aerials. He did a very fine job.

JR Potts

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 08:14:29 PM »
What type of membership is this-active golfing, seeks reconition, etc...anything would help.

Tony, your bank account must have at least 8 figures.  (not including the numbers after the decimal point).

Also, it helps if your grandfather is a Sears or Pritzker.

JR Potts

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 08:17:41 PM »
I can't find my error.

I liked Shivas way better than DE Schmidt. ;D

T_MacWood

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 10:09:39 PM »
Exmoor was originally designed by Tweedie...after that it gets a little fuzzy. Colt consulted there, and Ross did some redesign work, as did the pro between 1915 and 1920 Jack Croke. The unusual bunkering you see in old photos is Croke's work I believe. Calling what was done a restoration is extremely generous.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 10:37:35 PM »
I can't find my error.

I liked Shivas way better than DE Schmidt. ;D

Second that!!! What is the DE for now? Drives Erratically?

SL_Solow

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 09:13:16 AM »
Ryan;  Shivas is suggesting politely and accurately that the Pritzker's religous affiliation would make them extremely rare as members at Exmoor.  Tony, send me a PM re your potential Chicago visit.

JR Potts

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 10:02:11 AM »
Yes, that was pointed out to me politely in a PM.  My agnosticism is shining through again as I could give a crap what religion anyone follows...nor does it even cross my mind.

I guess as an agnostic/quasi-catholic, half lebanese/half irish mut, I have no shot there.  And let's not even get into the bank account. ;D

Come to think of it, I know a lot of people in the Chicagoland area.  And I don't know one member of Exmoor.

Dan Moore

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 11:01:13 AM »

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back