News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

To The Nines — Anthony Pioppi
« on: November 17, 2006, 06:54:17 PM »
Have just finished reading Anthony's book, To the Nines.

Recommend it as a short read, and refreshing adventure. Especially his quest for Ocean Links and anything left about the property.

As we are in the midst of a 9-hole course design, I was anxious to get the perspective of many of the great East coast layouts that I have never been to visit. Anthony does a great job describing and adding a bit of wit and commentary on the whole idea of 9-hole courses.

His descriptions of Gleneagles in San Francisco is spot on.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 06:55:35 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Forrest Richardson

Re:To The Nines — Anthony Pioppi
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 06:18:09 PM »
I meant to add that an excellent undertaking for one of our East Coast GCA-ers would be to create a better plan of Ocean Links. While the version in the book is nice...it seems that Anthony might be able to direct a much better rendition at this juncture.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 06:32:01 PM »
Forrest,

Thank you for your kinds words concerning my book and I am very excited to hear you are designing a 9-holer.

Tim Gerrish, an associate for Cornish and Mungeam, made the Ocean Links drawing after viewing the one aerial and walking the property with me. Because the photo is taken at an angle the perspective is off and most of the golf course is long lost.

Anthony

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 06:54:32 PM »
Maybe Tim can expand on his first attempt...? I read the chapter(s) as though you had uncovered more information since Tim's drawing.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 07:43:21 PM »
Forrest, are you contemplating two sets of tees so that the holes play differently each nine if you play two loops?  

i.e. different angles, distances, hazard placement, anything so that the second nine is different from the first.

The best example I ever saw of this was the then-9 holer at Mare Island Naval Shipyard near Vallejo, California.  One even played as a short par 4 the first time and a long par 3 the second.  Fun stuff.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 10:31:21 AM »
We may well do that, Bill. The most essential quality will be great golf, a pub and a very large fitness center. The development is in the heart of metroploitan Phoenix. Beyond that I cannot comment for now. The par will likely be 33 or 34 with 3s ranging from 90 yards to 235.

www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 11:24:55 AM »
Please insure that the pub is well stocked with Bellhaven's Best.  Or at least a lightly chilled Guiness.

The par 3 range is excellent, reminds me of Glenbrook Golf Course at Lake Tahoe where the 3rd is 85 yards over a vast bunker, and the 4th is 225 yards slightly uphill to a crowned green.  That is another terrific 9 hole course that I had forgotten about.  The 2nd is a short par 5 that requires either a five iron layup off the tee (probably 8 iron today) or a duck hook driver.  The entire course was chain sawed out of a Ponderosa forest.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 11:25:42 AM by Bill_McBride »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 11:52:14 AM »
I second Bill's request for a draft line dedicated to Best.

Forrest, this sounds like a very interesting project please keep my posted. Maybe I can convince a magazine that this is worth a story.

Anthony

Anthony Gholz

Re: To The Nines — Anthony Pioppi
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 03:03:18 PM »
Thought I'd bump this rather than start a new topic as I know I'm behind on my reading.  I too have finally read Anthony Pioppi's book To The Nines and want to add my belated praise of the book.  I especially liked the Ocean Links two chapters as noted above and the Fenwick chapter including the Hepburn info.  It was great fun for bedtime reading the last couple weeks using google maps and aerial photography to follow along with the descriptions.

As the Holidays are upon us I suggest the book as a good add to any golfer's stocking.

Thanks to Anthony
from Anthony

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 03:55:58 PM »
Gosh — 2006!  Flashback. Anthony's book gets recommended and cited whenever I get 9-hole pushback! My 9-hole project never materialized here in Phoenix, but the lane is still there!
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 04:14:14 PM »
Timely. Tony's latest book The Finest Nines: The Best Nine Hole Golf Courses in North America will publish shortly.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »
Additionally:

The Northwood comments in the book, 11 years ago, indicated bunkering that doesn't look like it's there today.  Also a big difference in the green color of Northwoods today vs Gleneagles, in the same state under different water requirements.  Difficult to see any of the bunkering at Gleneagles in the aerials.

Adam: great news regarding the new book.  I hope the illustrations are improved from the first book as that was the only thing I was not happy with.  A minor problem, perhaps more to do with my eyesight than the book.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »
Anthony: I'm glad you enjoyed To the Nines. I appreciate the plug.

Thank you for the mention of the new book, Adam. The Finest Nines, North America's Best-Nine Hole Golf Courses, is entirely separate from To the Nines. The new one ranks from 1 to 25 the best nines on the continent... I'll give part of it away, none are in Mexico.

Ironically, I'm writing this post while sitting in the Newport, R.I public library and if all goes as planned will rummage around a bit on the Ocean Links site tomorrow. Have not been out there in a few years. Leaves are off the underbrush so maybe I can find the Well of Fame again if the area is not too swampy.

The Finest Nines is available for preorder online and is scheduled for a Feb. 6 release by Skyhorse Publishing. If you would like a signed copy, feel free to contact me. AnthonyPioppi@gmail.com. If you don't want a signed copy, feel free to contact me, as well.

Forrest, anything I can do to help the 9-hole cause, please let me know and thank you for continuing to fly the flag!

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Finest-Nines/Anthony-Pioppi/9781510722712

Best,

Anthony

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 02:53:56 PM »
This is me standing atop what is left of Hill to Carry on the former seventh hole at Ocean Links, 12-8.

So I can't see the image above. Says I need to update 3rd party hosting on Photobucket. Can anyone see the photo?

T

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:56:52 PM by Anthony Pioppi »

Ken Fry

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 03:14:49 PM »
Nope

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 04:31:17 PM »

Anthony,

I think what they mean by update is 'pay us something' ;)

Jon

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 11:29:51 AM »
Ohhhhh, pay us something....

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 12:31:56 PM »
There are other photo hosting sites who don't charge so maybe a move.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 01:34:50 PM »
Cool, Jon. Suggestions?

AP

Ben Malach

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »
Anthony-

As to free hosting sites I have had success with Imgur, Google Photos and Flickr. I found that Imgur was the simplest platform to upload and share with. Google photos is where I do a lot of my online management of photos. This is also the reason, i have never felt comfortable sharing links from here. Flicker is my least used account as I find little reason engage with the community there. The upload function is stable and the site looks classic.     
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 03:35:51 PM »
Ben:

Thanks much for taking the time to answer. I'll check it out.

AP

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2017, 03:39:16 PM »
Here is Anthony's picture from what is left of the Hill to Carry on the old Ocean Links

I still use the bucket.  The best way to make a third person picture into a first person picture is to take a screenshot with your phone or tablet.  This changes the file extension on the photo and allows you to post it.

Bret

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »
Thanks for posting. Taken this past Friday morning. Amazing that it's still left considering the military bulldozed away virtually every other feature on the site when they took over the property in about 1941.

A

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 05:40:45 AM »

So I finished Anthony's newest 9 hole book on the train home last night, and it really is a fun book. A nice mixture of courses played (Hotchkiss, Hooper, Winter Park,and Edgartown), courses I want to play (Whitinsville, Birchwood, and Quoque), and courses I probably won't play but have a fondness for the spirit which they present (Aetna Springs and Sweetens).

Zac Blair is now in the mix and I have a better understanding of him via his Dad's 9 hole course and why he is so passionate for The Buck Club.

Tony also adds in some local spots to visit and/or have a beer near each course.

Well done, and just a fun book to read:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-finest-nines-anthony-pioppi/1125675056?ean=9781510722712&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_New+Core+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP164974&gclid=CjwKCAiAksvTBRBFEiwADSBZfIoXx_bv_tLp6ZbIgdNQ3oDb0s0Mah5cfZucKeZbzSRPZDTV72FUUxoCxncQAvD_BwE#/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:46:09 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Terry Lavin

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 09:27:56 PM »
I’m halfway through and can enthusiastically endorse purchase by this panel and your like-minded friends. Great research, writing and photography.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back