News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

Where to play golf in October
« on: October 13, 2006, 08:16:58 AM »
Had a great time earlier this week at a course in NE that I had heard much about. The architect gets no love here, but he did a great job on this site. It is everything others have ranted & raved about and more.

The golf is strategic, the greens wonderfull (better greens w/ internal contours I haven't seen in awhile) the ambiance just fantastic.  Not that it matters, but the views this week we're fantastic.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Peter Galea

Re:Where to play golf in October
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 08:22:25 AM »
Thanks for the memories! I was a member when Crumpin-Fox was a 9 holer. I'd love to play it again.
"chief sherpa"

Dan Kelly

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 08:24:38 AM »
Not that it matters, but the views this week we're fantastic.

Not that it matters?

Are you kidding?

Is there anyone here so blinded by gca that the views don't matter?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:25:21 AM »
Pete - I was blown away by the place. Not just the architecture, but the whole backroads NE charm of the place. Could have played there for a week.

Did not know it was a 9 holer at one time. Did they build 9 early and then come back to finish later?

We played w/ a few guys from near your old stomping grounds Colonie CC

Peter Galea

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 08:39:39 AM »

Did not know it was a 9 holer at one time. Did they build 9 early and then come back to finish later?

I lived in So. Deerfield in the late '70's.  The back nine was built first.
I'd race up there every Sat and Sun and play till dark.  Loved the dogleg right 7th (with the Indian burial grounds off to the right of the green), and the following par 5.  It was a great 9, not a letdown hole in the bunch.  I had seen the plans for the front but left before it was started.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 08:42:10 AM by Peter Galea »
"chief sherpa"

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 10:17:01 AM »
With all of the new publics being developed in New England recently—Sunday River, Newport, Red Tail, Belgrade, Ranch, Blackstone, Waverly, etc.—Crump often gets overlooked. It remains one of the best designs around. Much has been done in the last few years to clear out brush in the treelines to make it more playable. It was once one of the most difficult courses in the state. It is still tough, but now much more enjoyable—you can actually find and play your ball even if you don't hit the fairway. That being said, the 8th hole (the 4th and 5th pix above) is about as intimidating a tee shot/second shot/third shot as you can find on a par 5.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 10:20:17 AM »
Is there anyone here so blinded by gca that the views don't matter?

Yes.  Patrick Mucci.  We had a lenghty "discussion" about this which still rears its head from time to time.  His view indeed is that views do not matter.  Viewing these pictures he wouldn't take note of a single tree other than those that impacted play.

Yes, he is insane.  Feel free to point it out to him.

Gerat pics, John.  There's a reason people travel 3000 miles to look at trees.  I know I did.

TH

ForkaB

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 10:24:04 AM »
I'll be going up in Dornoch tomorrow and playing in the monthly Medal.  It is forecast to be 64 degrees and sunny.

Best of all--no trees..........

Eat your hearts out!

Rich :-*

John Foley

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 10:36:39 AM »
Tom & Rich,

I'd rather play a treeless links course than almost any of the tree lined places you'll see. However Crumpin-Fox was spectaclular. Dan brings up a great point w/ playability. While the place is carved out of the forrest, the tree's (for the most part) do not encroach on the lines of play and do offer much recovery options.

Dan - The views we're sweet and I was a little facetious to see who would jump on it. You won :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 10:37:40 AM by john_foley »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 10:37:46 AM »
Consider my heart eaten out.  There is wonderful beauty to be found at Dornoch for sure - just in a wholly different way (obviously) from places that have fall colors like those pictured here.  But the main thing is playing in a tournament there sounds really, really fun.

Sigh.... I'll be watching my kids play football (European kind), coaching my son's team, and it ought to be mid 70s or higher, blue skies, lots of joy.  I think I'll survive.

;)

TH

ps to John - late edit - me too re playing the game - I do prefer treeless links as well.  But beauty cannot be denied.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 10:38:45 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 10:45:19 AM »
Just beautiful.  Thanks.

I love the symmetry of the pin and four trees beyond:

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 07:14:39 PM »
John, I'd be surprised if that club has any commercial photos taken by pros that are any better than yours.  While the web site has great pics, I like yours being more natural. You really know how to time the peak color season.

I don't care if the course was designed by Satan.  It looks spectacular and the contouring on greens and FWs is evident and apealling in the photos.  

The shoulder season rates and replay look quite reasonable as well.  I don't see how a fellow can go wrong playing there.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 07:22:58 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 01:10:51 AM »
October is one of the best months of the year everywhere to play golf.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 01:34:32 PM »
Not Chicago
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

David Stamm

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 04:53:29 PM »
Great photos John!! I don't care what anyone says, views ARE part of the experience and anybody that wouldn't get excited by these photos have become way too callused. Thanks for the beautiful photos! I've lived here in So Cal for so long I had forgotten how beautiful NE is in Fall.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 10:50:58 PM »
Just finishing a great trip back east.  Have been lots of places in Oct. the last 10 years, and except for some rain in spots have never been disappointed.  Went to Chicago, Buffalo, Rochester, New Jersey, and Long Island.  Of course, we just missed major snow in Buffalo and it's been really cold in Long Island the last two days.  Had a ball and played
         Chicago Golf, Butler, Kemper, Canatigny
         Buffalo CC, CC Rochester, Monroe, Oak Hill
         Trump Bedminister, Somerset Hills, Ridgewood,
            Liberty National
         Tall Grass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back