News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Neveux

Re:Michigan courses
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 01:21:51 PM »
Shooter:  When was the last time you played The Gailes?  I was there earlier this year and was very dissappointed in the shape of course.  Many of those great sod faced bunkers have collapsed into the sand.  It was really an eye sore.  Great course, but boy I was upset to see it in such bad shape?  Curious to hear your thoughts.

D.P.N

Steve Lang

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 01:58:29 PM »
 8)

I wouldn't downgrade Dunmaglas so readily if you like shotmaking versus power golfing...  it also has perhaps the best berry picking besides great vistas...

Black Forest is a must though...

Be careful of timing getting from one place to another..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sean_Tully

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 02:11:49 PM »
What is the word on Walloon, I understand that it has one nine that is rather old and while the other is Matthews. Any idea on who designed the original nine? Who was designing courses in Michigan in 1904?

Also, can anyone say if Mackinaw Island's Wawashkamo was  originally not a full 9 hole? Does anyone have any pictures of it?

How about Belvedere, its a Watson and the course looked interesting from the 1938 aerial that I saw of it. Any restoration to be done there?

Tully

Doug Ralston

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2006, 02:26:33 PM »
Shooter;

Actually we will NEVER play all those courses in one trip. We are looking at 3 or 4 trips of 3 or 4 days each. I find that after that much golf, my appreciation and my arthritic hands both tap out.

Thanks again for all the input. I do listen.

Doug

RJ_Daley

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2006, 04:04:27 PM »
I agree with above, that there is so much golf in Michigan, one would have to break it up into regional exploration - one area at a time.  When you get to the Kalamazoo region, I can't say enough about how much fun and interesting golf you will find at Angel's Crossing (about 10 miles S of KZoo).  It is first rate design that has elements and influence from several of the traditional classic GCA masters.  It has been my most enjoyable new find in a
several years.  

I also wouldn't go back to that lower MI area without exploring "the Mines" by DeVries, under the superintendency of Joe Hancock.  I missed it last time, and have only seen pictures which looked good.  But now having met Joe.... well, it has got to be fun... ;) ;D

Arcadia Bluffs, when you get to that northern coast region of Sleeping Bear dunes Traverse City area, was also highly enjoyable for me.  I'd certainly try it again.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 04:14:27 PM »
Sean,
Definitely play Wawa and belvedere.Both are great experiences.
Yancey

Brian Cenci

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2006, 04:51:41 PM »
If I were working my way northward I would:

1) Start at ANGEL'S CROSSING near Kalamazoo.  Solid course with some of the best overall design in Michigan.  Go to 2.

2) Take the hour trip northward to EAGLE EYE in East Lansing.  Hit up PT O'Malley's or The Riv for the evening (good local MSU bars).  Go to 3 or 4 or directly to 6.

3) If you're feeling adventurous make the hour-and-a-half trip east to play SHEPARD'S HOLLOW.  A must play, which I wouldn't know from my friend Dave Neveux.  Go to 6.

4) Play PILGRIM'S RUN which is an hour northeast of East Lansing.  Go to 5 or 6.

5) Play THOROUGHBRED which is an hour northeast of Pilgrim's Run.  Take away the 2nd hole and it's a top 10 play in Michigan  Go to 6.

6) Make 1 1/2 hour trip to TULLYMORE just west of Mt. Pleasant.  Go to 7.

7) Make the hour trip north and play FOREST DUNES in Roscommon.  Probably the best shape of any course I've played this year.  Greens are in outstanding shape.  Go to 8.

8) Take the 1 1/2 hour trip west to ARCADIA BLUFFS...a must play...I've said it before, would hold its own if it were in Bandon.  Go to 9.

9) Either BAY HARBOR or BELVEDERE.  Both are about 2 hours northeast of Arcadia Bluffs.  Bay Harbor is obviously a little heavy on the wallet at $150 or so.  Belvedere is a solid course and I think is in the $40 range.  Go to 10 or 11.

10) A quick stop an hour our of your way to play LES CHENEUX CLUB which is an hour east of the bridge right on Lake Huron.  Oldest course in Michigan.  Pretty simple, but worth the quick 9 hole play.

11) GREYWALLS....play it twice!

-Brian...If you stop in to play Eagle Eye....give me or Dave Neveux a ring.  Most underated course in Michigan.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2006, 05:17:38 PM »
Well, Brian's comments made me want to respond a little more...

Thoroughbred used to be a Top 10 course in Michigan. This was before Lost Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs, Tullymore, Forest Dunes, Bay Harbor, Wuskowhan, Black Lake....Thoroughbred cannot compete with any of the above.
  The property that the course is on is very good. #2 is the worst hole, maybe that Art Hills have ever tried to do. There needs to be about 100,000 cubic feet of soil removed from the fairway. #12 is a 90 degree, dogleg right with such a small landing area, that if you don't hit it, you cannot see the green because you're blocked out by trees, plus you have to hit about a 4 iron off the tee.. #3, #9 and #11, (All par 3's ) are almost identicle. I think that #18 leaves people with a good taste in there mouths, therefore some think that it's better than others. The conditioning has been very poor in years ast-VERY WET!  even in the dry of a Michigan summer-Really good food from the resturant, though!

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2006, 09:26:23 PM »
Anthony,  Wuskowhan is wonderful.  If I lived there I could play it everyday.  It is a super club.  Lost Dunes is another great course and club  and Tullymore is splendid.  Bay Harbor is a little disapointing given the land.  I haven't played Arcadia Bluffs but I really think it is overrated.  It certainly is beautiful and has some excellent holes, especially on the back nine but I thought the front nine was just aaverage.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 05:47:22 AM »
"I haven't played Arcadia Bluffs but I really think it is overrated. "

Tommy,
  Your comments don't hold much weight if you haven't played the golf course......

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI,SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Andy Troeger

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2006, 07:49:02 AM »
Tommy,
   I played Arcadia last year, and Wuskowhan this year, and my thoughts would be reversed from yours. I enjoyed Arcadia, but thought that Wuskowhan did not live up to its rating (at least in GD). While the conditioning is immaculate the the course is beautiful, I felt like I played the same hole over and over. The first three par threes were 190, 195, and 196 all over some kind of swamp or bunkers or other nasty place. The other two were slightly shorter, with the last one #15 being my favorite because it was different.  The par fours were the same story, #2, 3, 4, 14, and 16 were all about 420 with some kind of marsh to hit over, and there were a couple others that weren't that different either. The par fives all seemed to require two carries over marshes and other than 7 were 564, 580, and 600, so basically three shotters. With all the forced carries it is definitely a "players club" as the name implies.

In looking at the holes on an individual level there's a lot of pretty darn good ones, but I wouldn't want to play it regularly based on the repetitiveness of things and the forced carries.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 10:09:02 PM by Andy Troeger »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2006, 11:26:38 AM »
I left out a phrase.  I haven't played Arcadia Bluffs SINCE IT OPENED.  Sorry about that.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

S. Huffstutler

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2006, 04:06:48 PM »
I guess you must have played it before it opened then, eh? Funny, I don't remember seeing you. In any case, for some reason there are some people who like to bash Arcadia Bluffs for things that they wouldn't notice at any other venue and I really can't figure out why. A beautiful view of Lake Michigan from nearly every spot on the course, incredible conditioning, fast, tricky greens.... deep, well placed bunkers...yeah it sucks alright. I can hardly wait to play next week.

Steve

Peter Pratt

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2006, 04:16:02 PM »
If you're headed to the sunrise side, I'd strongly recommend the Gailes. I can't speak for the condition this year, but it has been great in years' past. One of the very best courses in Michigan.

I am not a big fan of Art Hills's work, but I like Red Hawk quite a bit. A very good range of holes with some strategy. #2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, and 18 or very good.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2006, 04:31:10 PM »
Thanks Peter;

Red Hawk is NOT coming off my list. Wow! Sure are a lot of courses I 'need' to play in Michigan.

If I hit the lottery, guess I'll by a Summer Home up there.

Doug
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 04:31:34 PM by Doug Ralston »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2006, 04:33:55 PM »
Well;

Now my playing partner wants me to ask about one more. No one has mentioned Buck's Run. Any thoughts?

Peter Pratt

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2006, 04:36:32 PM »
Doug,

I'd heard great things about Bucks Run, but was underwhelmed when I played it last month. Keep on trucking thru Mt. Pleasant on your way northeast, west, or northwest.

Jeff Peterson

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2006, 05:54:25 PM »
I played Buck's Run in May.  It's not bad -- there are some fun, interesting holes.  But in my opinion it doesn't quite live up to its reputation.  If you're going through the middle of the state, you're better off shooting for Eagle Eye in East Lansing.

David Neveux

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2006, 09:07:18 PM »
Doug, Bucks Run is a nice course.  Although compared to most of the courses mentioned I wouldn't bother.  I did like some of the holes but honestly it's not something to see on this trip.  I'm trying to get up to Red Hawk myself, the course I work at is associated with Red Hawk however I haven't had the chance.  Please post your impressions of the courses you do play when you get back.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2006, 09:16:45 PM »
S. Huffstutler,  Good catch on the grammer.  Arcadia is a beatuiful place and a good course.   Like Bay Harbor I don't think the golf lives up to the potential of the site, especially on the front side.  The back side does have some excellent holes.  
St. John of the Cross

S. Huffstutler

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2006, 09:21:30 AM »
Sorry it's taken so long to reply, I've been on vacation. I'm wondering how you can make statements regarding the quality of a hole without having played it? I'm also curious to hear how the course could have been made any better, in your estimation. The sort of mental masturbation that people engage in concerning high profile golf courses just kills me (unless it's a Doak course, of course)....you just throw out statements like" well....the back could have been better" because it's an internet website and you don't have to defend yourself to anybody who knows better. Share your insight with me and tell me how the place would have been inproved if you had been hired as a consultant.

regards,

Steve

PThomas

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2006, 10:35:11 AM »
mental masturbation

another winner in the GCA quotes of the year competition!
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Paul Payne

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2006, 11:50:25 AM »
It's been said before but Timberstone is nice (has one of the biggest elevation drops from tee to green I have ever played) but if you go to the U.P. play Greywalls. I am from Marquette and in the past Timberstone was the only course worth talking about but now finally there is truly a worthy course in Greywalls.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2006, 02:16:53 PM »
Paul;

And if I ever get to get there, as intended, both of those will I play!

BTW, Timberstone will have to go a ways to equal the beautiful 240ft drop onto a lovely little faiyway at the 325 yd [obviously reachable but what a risk/reward] par-4 #13 at Eagle Ridge in Eastern Kentucky. Can't wait to see Timberstone, I am a mountain person at heart and mountain golf is as natural as [fresh] air to me!

Doug

Paul Payne

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2006, 02:54:48 PM »
Doug,

If you are a mountain golfer you will like both of these courses. Greywalls (which gets a lot of press right now) is more the rugged type of jagged hills with rock outcropings. As you have heard it is fabulous.

Timberstone is a little more rolling course that runs up and down a mountainside although the ridges and valleys can be abrupt. (BTW mountains in the U.P. are foothills in KY). The BEST part for you my freind, is that number 18 is a par five that has got to drop at LEAST 300 feet from tee to green. The tee boxes are high, then the fairway is built into essentially two terraces, and then the final landing area and green. It is heaven if you love to hit driver! Talk about hang time.

Hope you enjoy your trip one day. Let me know when you get close and I can give you local knowledge on eating etc.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back