News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pavy

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #700 on: June 09, 2014, 06:21:10 PM »
Name: Mark Pavy
Hometown: Erina, NSW, Australia
HCP: Member PGA of Australia
Profession: Company Director and Executive Producer (iViewGolf)
Home Course: Home, the 9 Par 3 holes in my backyard!

Favourite Golf Courses:
Any course where the management, pro-shop staff and greenkeepers share the passion and presentation of their golf course.

Most Influential Year in Golf:
'86

The loudest yell I've ever heard:
The collective sound of an entire nation when Scotty held the putt on 18, 2013 Masters.

I enjoy:
GCA
Looking at Golf Club Honour Boards- past champions, junior champions, course records etc
Discussing course architecture over a few pints.
Discussing various publications of "Top 100" lists.
Reading and learning about any facet of golf.
Meeting golfers with the same passion for golf and course architecture.
Discussing how to increase participation rates.

Pet Peeves:
Blue or dark coloured flags on woodland golf courses.
Poor tee box design, presentation and maintenance- Par 3s tees without enough dedicated area, any tee box that doesn't drain back to front slightly, any course that allows untrained staff to align and position tee markers.

Current Goals:
To showcase the beauty of golf courses using modern 3D technology.
Increase all level of players ability to visualise a golf shot on a mass scale.
Introduce non-golfers to our great game.
Form affiliations with industry bodies that work towards the administration, success and growth of golf.
Get my game back to where it was pre kids!

I really admire any man or woman who dedicates themselves to the game and wish to pay my respect and admiration to those who founded, contributed and made what GCA is today.

I look forward to contributing.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #701 on: June 09, 2014, 10:21:58 PM »
Mark, great to have another Aussie on the board.  The 3-d aspect seems very interesting, and frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't taken hold and used more often by entities presenting marketing of golf courses.  Even the 3-D conversion features add to viewing enjoyment, and one gets a better sense of slope and contours to appreciate the architecture, it seems to me.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Do you know any of our fellow GCA Aussie contributers?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #702 on: June 09, 2014, 11:40:45 PM »
Name: Mark Pavy
Hometown: Erina, NSW, Australia
HCP: Member PGA of Australia
Profession: Company Director and Executive Producer (iViewGolf)
Home Course: Home, the 9 Par 3 holes in my backyard!

Favourite Golf Courses:
Any course where the management, pro-shop staff and greenkeepers share the passion and presentation of their golf course.

Most Influential Year in Golf:
'86

The loudest yell I've ever heard:
The collective sound of an entire nation when Scotty held the putt on 18, 2013 Masters.

I enjoy:
GCA
Looking at Golf Club Honour Boards- past champions, junior champions, course records etc
Discussing course architecture over a few pints.
Discussing various publications of "Top 100" lists.
Reading and learning about any facet of golf.
Meeting golfers with the same passion for golf and course architecture.
Discussing how to increase participation rates.

Pet Peeves:
Blue or dark coloured flags on woodland golf courses.
Poor tee box design, presentation and maintenance- Par 3s tees without enough dedicated area, any tee box that doesn't drain back to front slightly, any course that allows untrained staff to align and position tee markers.

Current Goals:
To showcase the beauty of golf courses using modern 3D technology.
Increase all level of players ability to visualise a golf shot on a mass scale.
Introduce non-golfers to our great game.
Form affiliations with industry bodies that work towards the administration, success and growth of golf.
Get my game back to where it was pre kids!

I really admire any man or woman who dedicates themselves to the game and wish to pay my respect and admiration to those who founded, contributed and made what GCA is today.

I look forward to contributing.

Can't believe nobody commented on the fact you have your own course! That is awesome!

Mark Pavy

« Reply #703 on: June 10, 2014, 01:28:03 AM »
RJ, I do recognise many of the names on GCA, but unfortunately, haven't had the pleasure of meeting as many as I would like.

Nigel, the best part of having a course in your backyard, besides the fact I can go belt a ball at my leisure, is the therapy that sitting on a 5 reel Jacobsen fairway mower provides- fantastic to clear your mind and stress relief!

Jason Kang

« Reply #704 on: June 16, 2014, 11:20:35 PM »
Hi guys, just came across this thread; apologies for littering the board with my own intro a while back. 

Hometown- Raleigh, NC
Currently resides- Chicago, IL
Favorite courses outside Chicago, in no particular order, played more than once with own ball- Chapel Hill (NC) CC, Greensboro (NC) CC in-town, The Kahkwa Club (Erie, PA), Mid Ocean Club (Bermuda), Yale
Course that took me completely by surprise- Omaha (NE) CC, because of the course terrain

Questions that keep me up at night:
"How many of the Chicagoland DJR courses did he personally visit?"
"Who makes those leather chairs at Royal St George's?

Best, Jason

RKoehn

« Reply #705 on: June 17, 2014, 08:15:20 AM »
I'm a new member too.  Many thanks to Ran for the invite.

Reside:  Winter Park and Miami, FL
Family:  Wife Laura, son Christian (4)
Home Club:  Indian Creek (Flynn 1928)
Handicap:  0.1
Favorite Courses Played:  Indian Creek, Merion, Pine Valley, Chicago GC, Los Angeles (North), NGLA, Mid Ocean, Shinnecock, Peachtree, Old Town, Lookout Mountain, Winged Foot (both), Sebonack and last, but not least, my home course for 4 years in college, Springdale (Princeton, NJ), a "partial" Flynn.
Top of List to Play:  Cypress, Augusta, San Francisco, Pasatiempo, Newport, Milwaukee, Creek Club, Bel-Air
Coolest Story:  (1) My grandfather's college teammate and amateur golf travel companion at Princeton (1926-1930) was Gene Homans, who fell to Bobby Jones in finals at Merion (my grandfather's home course) in 1930.

Thanks to you all for the fun discussion on the board.
Rob

Steve Lapper

« Reply #706 on: June 17, 2014, 02:23:13 PM »
Rob,

Welcome....thought you should know that your home course has already produced some special GCA history. In early 2013, Golf's (once) Most Beloved went down in flames in a nasty 18-hole hickories match with yours truly.

He's never really gotten over it and has since been retitled: Golf's Most Bitter. I strongly suggest you avoid reminding him of his last visit onto the Island. Let a decade or so go by before you offer to host him.....the memories will likely produce nightmares for years to come. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:39:12 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Luke Eipper

« Reply #707 on: June 20, 2014, 12:54:57 AM »
I'm a relatively new member here. In the past 18 months my interest in GCA has become somewhat of an obsession thanks to the books fo Brad Klein and the great Dr.

Reside:  Melbourne, Australia
Family:  Married no kids, but I do have a very cute Bernese Mountain Dog puppy named Nora
Home Club:  Commonwealth (Lane, Bennett 1927)
Handicap:  9.3
Favorite Courses Played:  Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, Barnbougle Dunes, Port Fairy Golf Links, RACV Healsville, Peninsula Kingswood CC (North course), Victoria GC, St. Andrews Beach, and the Frankston 'Millionaries' Golf Club .
Top of List to Play:  Cypress, Augusta, NGLA, Cape Kidnappers, Cruden Bay, Sunningdale (old), Monfortaine, Shinnecock Hills, Riveria, Pasatiempo, Cabot cliffs, Sand Hills.
Something I'd like to see golf clubs do better - Course fixtures and furnishings to recapture some golden age class - Cheeseborough know the score!

If you're ever in Melbourne AUS, shoot me a private message so that we might oragnise a game.
Cheers,
 Luke.

Mark Jackson

« Reply #708 on: August 04, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »
I thought it would be best to introduce myself by adding my background here rather than start a whole new thread.

Name: Mark Jackson

Family: Married and have a 3-year-old son (and son #2 due at the end of September).

Background: Born and raised in the Dayton, Ohio area. Attended college at Ohio Wesleyan University and law school in Cleveland at Case Western Reserve. After school, I moved back to the Dayton area for a few years and worked in Middletown. My wife is from the Cleveland area and she wanted to move back to be closer to her family. A good work opportunity materialized about four years ago, so we returned to Northeast Ohio. (I always seem to regret that decision every winter when friends in the southern part of the state have been playing for at least a month before I even get a chance to think about touching a club. At least Lebron is back, though…)

Current residence: Brecksville, Ohio

Home club: Mayfield Sand Ridge Club

Handicap index: 5.7 (I have no semblance of a short game, which I primarily blame on taking a 3-year break from playing after college and a general disinterest in practice – I would much rather spend my time away from work with family/friends or on the course actually playing).

Some of the most enjoyable courses that I have played: Pebble, Pine Valley, Pinehurst #2, Bandon Trails, Riviera, Muirfield Village.

I look forward to participating on the discussion board.

Michael Marzec

« Reply #709 on: August 06, 2014, 04:34:46 PM »
Welcome to the asylum, Mark! Always good to add to the Northeast Ohio contingent, especially a man with a low handicap and a great home club. However, I notice Firestone South is missing from the list of courses you have most enjoyed...  ;)
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. And furthermore, always carry a small snake." - W.C. Fields

Garth Strohbehn

« Reply #710 on: August 26, 2014, 04:03:50 PM »
Just now discovered the introductory thread. Reckon I should do that.

Name: Garth Strohbehn

Background: From the middle of Iowa and grew up playing the Iowa State University course, Veenker. Moved to Iowa City for undergraduate and let golf slip by the wayside temporarily. Rediscovered my love for the game in Cambridge in 08-09. Nominally, it was a year of graduate study but it truly was spent drinking beer and playing golf with the (victorious) Cambridge side. What a stroke of unbelievably good fortune that was. I recently graduated from medical school at Yale and just began internal medicine residency at Michigan. I'm not going to say I chose my med school and residency program solely because of the golf, but it certainly was a large factor.

Hometown: Gilbert, IA -- if anyone knows there this is without looking at a map, drinks are on me.

Current residence: Ann Arbor, MI

Home club: UM Golf Course/Radrick Farms

Handicap index: 3

Occupation: Medical resident -- not at all like television, much to my chagrin

If I had five rounds left to play (and I couldn't play Rye five times over): Rye, Deal (with a stiff wind), Worlington, Merion, and Yale

Courses I'd most like to play: Prairie Dunes, Sand Hills, the National

I look forward to contributing to discussions and learning from you gentlemen. And hopefully discovering a game or two!

Lyndell Young

« Reply #711 on: September 03, 2014, 01:15:23 AM »
    Since I never properly introduced myself, here goes- I joined GCA early this year after being a visitor for several years. I have already been to   three GCA events  and have met many of you great gents .
    Lyndell Young,  Greenville S.C. Owner Pebble Creek CC  Hcp 8  
    54 years old
    Married three children 21,20,18 two boys and a girl and there are all in college!
    I've been in the golf business for 25 years as an owner and before that worked for family in the golf business.
    I love Classic golf courses and I  enjoy playing great golf designs
    some of my favorites are Royal County Down, Royal Portrush, ,Royal Dornoch, Sandhills, Seminole ,Wade Hampton, Honors Club, Dismal (both) Dormie, Chechessee, May River ,Bulls Bay, Caledonia. Hopefully I can add to that list since I'm now a empty nester!
    I look forward to meeting and playing golf with some mutual golf design oficionados here on GCA
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 11:36:55 PM by Lyndell Young »

Jason Topp

« Reply #712 on: September 03, 2014, 07:28:49 AM »

Hometown: Gilbert, IA -- if anyone knows there this is without looking at a map, drinks are on me.

Garth - you owe me.  I grew up in Des Moines with relatives in the Radcliffe/Hubbard area. 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #713 on: September 03, 2014, 11:09:09 AM »
LY, it was a pleasure to meet and chat with you at the 5th Major.  I hope we have a chance to enjoy a round some time.  But man, I figured you for early 40s!   ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #714 on: September 03, 2014, 11:20:15 AM »
Just now discovered the introductory thread. Reckon I should do that.

Name: Garth Strohbehn

Background: From the middle of Iowa and grew up playing the Iowa State University course, Veenker. Moved to Iowa City for undergraduate and let golf slip by the wayside temporarily. Rediscovered my love for the game in Cambridge in 08-09. Nominally, it was a year of graduate study but it truly was spent drinking beer and playing golf with the (victorious) Cambridge side. What a stroke of unbelievably good fortune that was. I recently graduated from medical school at Yale and just began internal medicine residency at Michigan. I'm not going to say I chose my med school and residency program solely because of the golf, but it certainly was a large factor.

Current residence: Ann Arbor, MI

Home club: UM Golf Course/Radrick Farms

Handicap index: 3

Occupation: Medical resident -- not at all like television, much to my chagrin

If I had five rounds left to play (and I couldn't play Rye five times over): Rye, Deal (with a stiff wind), Worlington, Merion, and Yale

Courses I'd most like to play: Prairie Dunes, Sand Hills, the National

I look forward to contributing to discussions and learning from you gentlemen. And hopefully discovering a game or two!

Garth-
Gilbert has become the Grosse Pointe of Story County hasn't it? Since you grew up playing Venkeer I won't hold your years on the dark side against you.

I would definitely like to pick your brain as your path follows the one I have drawn up for my 12 year old son almost to a tee, obviously I have higher hopes for him than the University of Iowa for undergrad and my plan involves using a portion of his 529 to rent a flat in St Andrews for a semester abroad with me as his roommate but I could be convinced to let him go to Cambridge.

Jason and I will meet you more than halfway and you can buy the drinks at Kingsley.

Buck

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #715 on: September 03, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »
Residence:  Philadelphia
Hometown: Cincinnati
Family:  Wife Sara
Education: Eastern Kentucky University - BAA, Marketing with PGA Golf Management option
Current work: PGA Professional at PGA Magazine
Past work: Malone, Camargo, Meridian Hills, PGA of America, Timber Trails / Lake Naomi, Maketewah, Miami View
Favorite Courses Played:  Bethpage (Black), Camargo, Somerset Hills, Huntingdon Valley
Top of List to Play:  Pine Valley, Merion, Fishers Island, Oakmont, National Golf Links of America, Philadelphia Cricket Club (Wissahickon), Bandon Dunes (All!)
Started golfing: June 26, 2002, the week after the U.S. Open

While I haven't had many opportunities to play a ton of highly-regarded courses, I love to learn about golf course architecture and what goes into a great hole and/or course design. I'm looking to bolster my "courses played" resume.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #716 on: September 03, 2014, 12:07:31 PM »
my plan involves using a portion of his 529 to rent a flat in St Andrews for a semester abroad with me as his roommate but I could be convinced to let him go to Cambridge.

I spent a semester abroad in St Andrews--smartest thing I've ever done.  I think a lot of fathers had similar ambitions for their sons and daughters as well.  Hell, just send him there for all 4 years  ;D

Lyndell Young

« Reply #717 on: September 04, 2014, 09:01:23 PM »
Thanks for that RJ! Ballyhack?

Tim Martin

« Reply #718 on: September 05, 2014, 04:28:50 PM »

While I haven't had many opportunities to play a ton of highly-regarded courses, I love to learn about golf course architecture and what goes into a great hole and/or course design. I'm looking to bolster my "courses played" resume.

Matt-Sort of like American Express being a PGA member has it's privileges. ;)

Jon Wall

« Reply #719 on: October 07, 2014, 06:56:20 AM »
Jon Wall
English (Berkshire/Oxon)
Living in Hong Kong
Golf Course Superintendent

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have seen much of the best that golf has to offer so far in my short career. Although slightly unfortunate in the sense that 'visiting' some of the best courses in the world falls a long way short of 'playing'.

Despite this I have managed to play at some fantastic courses and through participation here hope to motivate myself to expand my experiences.

Top 5 Courses 'played':

Himalayan Golf Course
Askernish
Pacific Dunes
Pasatiempo
Pebble Beach

Joe Zucker

« Reply #720 on: November 21, 2014, 09:54:35 AM »
Hello everyone.  Ran gave me the opportunity to join the forum, so I thought it best to introduce myself here.

Name: Joe Zucker

Background: I grew up in Cleveland, OH where I've had the opportunity to play pretty much all of the good courses in the area through junior golf and working at the local country club through school.  I left Cleveland to go to graduate school in Milwaukee at Marquette University and lived there for three years before moving down to Chicago for a job.   As great as Chicago can be, these are the days I wish I lived a little further south.

Current residence: Evanston, IL

I recently made my first trip to Scotland and that has sparked a deeper interest in architecture.  Some of my favorite courses that I have played on this side of the ocean are Bethpage Black, The Scarlet Course at OSU, Banff Springs, Muirfield Village, Whistling Straits, and Canterbury CC.

I'm looking forward to participating in the discussions I have been watching for the last few months.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #721 on: November 21, 2014, 04:09:26 PM »
Seeing this made me realize I never made a proper introduction...

Daniel Jones
Ocala, Florida

Grew up around the golf business and had my first club at age 2. My grandfather was a club pro at Golden Hills CC and Ocala Golf Club.

5 favorite courses played: Ocala Golf Club (home course bias), Pebble Beach, The Farm, Pinehurst #2, Streamsong Red.

Perhaps the only living person that worked golf, the Florida Gators, and Entenmann's Chocolate Donuts into his wedding vows.

I look forward to quenching my thirst for knowledge of golf course architecture here and finally taking part in the discussions that I've followed for a few years now.

DFarron

« Reply #722 on: November 21, 2014, 04:51:04 PM »
Name: Drew Farron

Residence:Danville, CA

Hometown: Southfield, MI

Family: Single, two daughters 23 and 19, 2 grandsons 4 and 1

Home Course:Blackhawk CC, Danville, CA

Background: Born and raised in Southfield, MI, played college hockey at Bowling Green. Took up golf between my junior and senior years and decided to be a club pro. Worked my way up the club pro ranks then decided to dedicate myself to fitting and teaching.

I am a golf junkie, like equipment, courses and everything involved with the game. Got on the architecture kick 20 years ago when I made friends with a guy who was into it, moved to No Cal this year partially because of the abundance of great courses.

Favorite courses in No Cal:Cypress, Pebble, Menlo, Cal Club, Pasatiempo and Meadow Club

Favorite courses outside No Cal:Chicago Golf Club, Muirfield, North Berwick, Prarie Dunes, Shinnecock

Courses I Most Want to Play:Seminole, Crystal Downs, LACC, Merion, Royal Melbourne

Glad to see a fair amount of Cleveland guys on here, just moved from there in June!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 02:09:01 PM by DFarron »

BCowan

« Reply #723 on: November 21, 2014, 04:56:30 PM »
Name: Drew Farron

Residence:San Jose, CA

Hometown: Detroit, MI

Family: Single, two daughters 23 and 19, 2 grandsons 4 and 1

Home Course:Blackhawk CC, Danville, CA

Background: Born and raised in Southfield, MI, played college hockey at Bowling Green. Took up golf between my junior and senior years and decided to be a club pro. Worked my way up the club pro ranks then decided to dedicate myself to fitting and teaching.

I am a golf junkie, like equipment, courses and everything involved with the game. Got on the architecture kick 20 years ago when I made friends with a guy who was into it, moved to No Cal this year partially because of the abundance of great courses.

Favorite courses in No Cal:Cypress, Pebble, Cal Club, Pasatiempo and Meadow Club

Favorite courses outside No Cal:Chicago Golf Club, Muirfield, North Berwick, Prarie Dunes, Shinnecock

Courses I Most Want to Play:Seminole, Crystal Downs, LACC, Merion, Royal Melbourne

Glad to see a fair amount of Cleveland guys on here, just moved from there in June!

Bowling Green NCAA Hockey Champs 1984! They still advertise this.  Attended many BG games, nice arena.  Welcome aboard. 

Nick Spears

« Reply #724 on: November 21, 2014, 06:00:21 PM »
Name: Nick Spears
Residence: Rochelle, IL
Married, 2 boys
Born and raised in northern Illinois. 60 miles west of Chicago in the middle of cornfields on a farm. Started golfing at age 8 on a 9 hole track where my mom worked. They made kids where hard hats while on the course! It wasn't until the '99 PGA at Medinah til I started loving "the course". My home town was a few miles from Rich Harvest Farms and I would find ways to drive by just to catch a glimpse of a fairway or green. In '07 I played RHF and Medinah and I thought there was nothing better than tree lined fairways and tall rough. After years searching out courses like those for buddies trips, I decided in 2011 to try The Prairie Club in Nebraska. Game changer! To this day the Dunes course is the most fun course I've played. Trying to play as many top 100 public courses as I can. Not someone with connections so my ability to comment or debate with most of you on the top tracks around the world will be slim to none.
Top 5 played: Straits, Kiawah Ocean, Medinah, Streamsong, Sawgrass.
Top 5 wish: Chicago, Sand Hills, Cypress, Augusta, Pine Valley

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back