News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Colbert

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #750 on: February 14, 2015, 01:48:09 PM »
I haven't posted in here yet. I've shared enough about myself over the course of the threads so I'll keep this brief:

Name: Brian Colbert
Place of Residence: Chicago, IL
Handicap: +2.7

Drew Groeger

« Reply #751 on: February 15, 2015, 06:40:58 PM »
This is my first post on GCA, nerve wracking:

Hometown:  Akron, Ohio
Currently Reside:  Chicago, Illinois
Occupation:  Originally an Architect (of buildings, not golf courses unfortunately), now work for a Canadian modular wall manufacturer that uses 3D software. Fun.
Family: Wife and 15 yo. daughter
Home Club:  None
Background: First introduced to golf as a teenager, caddying at the local private course in Akron, Portage Country Club. Did it for the money at first (one decent loop on a Saturday and I could buy all the baseball cards my heart desired!) but grew to love the game being around it so much and hacking at the turf myself. Didn’t golf much through college and beyond and only picked the sticks back up in earnest about 4-5 years ago. Love course architecture more and more each day. Finding this site 7-8 years ago was a revelation and when Ran accepted me back in December I was over the moon! I read as much as I can on course histories and design theory and give it a go myself designing courses with 3D software (APCD). Love the visualization aspects of that, since I don’t have an actual plot of land to walk on.
Hdcp: 11.6. Working out and lessons the last few years has brought that down considerably from what it once was. For decades, I can assure you, I would swing at the golf ball and not have a single notion of where it was going.
Favorite Courses Played:  Whistling Straits Irish, Torrey Pines North, Cog Hill no. 4, The Heritage Club, Predator Ridge, and every course I play in Scotland when I go there later this year!
Wish List:  To design and build a golf course.

JJShanley

« Reply #752 on: February 21, 2015, 07:43:17 PM »
Hometown: Edinburgh, Scotland
Currently Reside: Notre Dame, Indiana
Occupation: Doctoral candidate in history, writing a dissertation titled "English Peoples, British State: Forging a National Identity in Maryland, 1688-1763."
Home Course: The Warren Course at Notre Dame
Background: I enjoyed watching golf from a very age.  I played my first ever 18 hole round at Braid Hills #2 on my tenth birthday in 1992.  That track no longer exists as an 18 hole layout.  My father played (still does) and I caddied for him from about age 10.  My first golf memory involves the final round of the 1987 Open Championship at Muirfield on the BBC.  The bunker with the island right of the 18th green fascinated me.  It still does.  My father attended during the Saturday's play, which included high winds and heavy rain.  For reasons best known to himself, he bought a Panama hat, which he still wears.  The vendor did not sell any others that day.  He brought me back a bunch of other memorabilia, including a cotton badge, which I think (hope) I still have somewhere.  I had a membership in Edinburgh until 2005 when I moved to the United States.  Golf took a back seat until I enrolled at Notre Dame in 2010.  It took a backseat again in 2012-13 when I broke my hand, put out my back, and took candidacy exams.  I had enjoyed studying golf course architecture during my teens and college years.  I had the opportunity to play Camargo in July 2014, where I encountered Raynor for the first time.  I find the transplantation of European culture in North America fascinating.  I spent several months going through the GCA archives for threads about the history of architecture.  I'm excited to have the opportunity to contribute to this discussion.
Handicap: I kept a handicap through The Grint from the beginning of 2014, finishing at 8.1.  I had never bothered to check how to keep a handicap in the U.S., but will keep an official handicap at Warren when we open next month.
Favorite Courses Played: Camargo, Dunbar, Mortonhall, Strandhill, Warren.  I have a soft spot for Braid Hills.
Wish List: Finish my dissertation; write a history of golf in the U.S.  Will likely play Dundonald with JJS sr. to celebrate his 70th birthday this year.  I have a short-notice trip home next month, during which I hope to play Gullane #1 (for the first time), plus Craigielaw (where my father plays.)  I think I will walk round North Berwick West with him when he plays a team match there for Craigielaw the day after I arrive.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #753 on: February 24, 2015, 10:30:57 AM »
Currently Reside:  Southern Pines, NC
Home Course: Pine Needles/Mid Pines
Background: I have been posting for a while here but have signed up for the Dixie Cup and felt it would be appropriate to share a bit about myself.  My father worked for Philadelphia Electric so my golf started at McCall Field, a company owned 4400 yard course outside the city. I have played many great courses through the years: Pebble, Cyprus, The Country Club,  Yeaman’s , #2 and more without  the appreciation for what made them  great. GCA for the past 5 years has been a great learning experience, akin to learning a new language.
Handicap:  15
Favorite Courses: Mid Pines, Mid Pines, Mid Pines and the courses I will play in May on my 16 day jaunt around Ireland.
Walk and carry unless required to ride.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Andrew Bernstein

« Reply #754 on: February 27, 2015, 03:18:29 PM »
Currently Reside:  Raleigh, NC
Hometown:  Charleston, WV
Family: Newlywed (just passed the 6 month mark)
Handicap: 5
Background: They say you never get a second chance to make a first impression, but I feel like I do have that opportunity at GCA. I started reading and participating on this site back when I was 16 years old (around 1998 or so). I was lucky enough to meet some great people back then, some of which I still see on a regular basis. With college and then law school, I fell out of touch with the board. My interest in golf never waned, but it was maintained purely from a playing perspective. Since I moved to Raleigh, my interest in the architecture behind the courses I love (and even those I don't quite love as much) has returned. Perusing the board over the past few weeks, I've noticed a lot of familiar names. I look forward to participating more and connecting with new friends in the years to come.

Joe Melchiors

« Reply #755 on: February 28, 2015, 09:45:02 AM »
Hometown:  Princeton, NJ --> Chicago (in June)
Family: Married with 3 Girls (8, 5, 5)
Handicap: 11
Home Course: Springdale, but now homeless at the moment with the move to Chicago
Background:  After lurking here for 10 years and being fascinated (and occasionally incensed) at some of the discussions, I figure I might as well start contributing.  I grew up in Augusta, but didn't really play golf (baseball and later rowing).  College was in Philly and then moved to Princeton.  Now I'm headed to Chicago (Riverside) this Summer.  I started playing seriously a few years after college and eventually joined Forsgate, and then later Springdale.  Both decisions were largely influenced from information found here (along with the ability to walk).  Architecture became an interest while looking at clubs to join and now, for better or worse, I find myself analyzing way too much when I play.  This is a neat place and I'm looking forward to participating more in conversations and events now that my working life is settling down and my girls are getting a little older.

Random, useless fact:  In Augusta, Spring Break for school is scheduled around Masters week.  For a few years in the early to mid 80's, I would go on Tuesday with my brother, sit on 16, and get Autographs from pretty much every group that came through.  It was just something that was fun to do then, but now I have some treasured notebooks (and memories) full of autographs from many of the greats (Arnold, Jack, Seve, Snead, Watson, Faldo, etc).

RJ_Daley

« Reply #756 on: February 28, 2015, 01:22:35 PM »
Wow, I knew how old I was getting, but didn't realize the high school youngster that used to post enthusiastically got lshockingly older, through university and law school as well!   ;) ;D 8)  Nice to see you around here again, Andrew.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David Jones

« Reply #757 on: May 01, 2015, 09:54:59 AM »
Hello all, by way of introduction! -

Lives : Gullane, Scotland

Family: Wife and 2 kids (7 and 3)

Club: Archerfield

Handicap: 13.7

Background: I grew up in Edinburgh paying 50p for a round on the local council courses - the greats of Carricknowe, Silverknowes and the Braids - in my summer holidays.  My Dad used to work at the Open every year and would take me along where I would walk the courses from 7am until close of play.  Definitely more of a links golf fan than other forms and that was part of the reason for settling in Gullane, about 500 yards from the first tee at Muirfield.  I actually work in England for most of the week but the quality of life in this part of the world is hard to give up, and the golf even moreseo.  I don't play as much as I would like to but try to get out every couple of weeks and really love planning trips for me and mates to great golf courses.  This year I have planned hosting some friends during the Scottish Open and we are playing North Berwick, Muirfield and Renaissance.  Later in the year planned a trip to Long Island with hopefully Shinnecock, NGLA and a couple more.

Favourite Courses: Most of my golf has been in Europe with a sprinkling of US and South Africa.  I love North Berwick (which is handy as it is a 7 minutes drive away) as well as TOC, Dornoch, Portush (I preferred it over RCD but need to go back), Turnberry and Royal St Georges.  In Europe Fontainebleau, Valderrama, Falsterbo and further afield if I'm ever near Arabella near Cape Town again I'll be straight to the tee.

Favourite golf possession - my MacKenzie Walker bag.  May an airline never lose it.........

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #758 on: May 01, 2015, 07:34:20 PM »
David,

Ca' the yowes to the knowes,
Ca' them where the heather grows,
Ca' them where the burnie rowes,
My bonie dearie.

You mention a wee course, Silverknowes in Edinburgh, which allowed quite forgotten memories to come flooding back to me. In retrospect it was my first "vacation" golf.

At the tender age of fourteen I bundled myself and my sticks ( no putter in those days - a sawn down 3-iron sufficed!) onto the train at Dundee to visit my aunt in Edinburgh. My aunt indicated that she had enquired about golf in the district and Silverknowes it was!! No Muirfield, no Gullane simply Silverknowes!! The next day I caught a bus, still lugging my armoury in a tattered shoulder bag, and at six-pence a round spent the whole glorious summer day playing 36 holes. There is not one that I remember but I do remember the course seemed a bit boggy compared to Ashludie at Monifieth!

The funny thing was that my aunt gave me half-a-crown to go to one of the auction shops, nearby to where she lived, to bid and purchase a putter. Well, did I get myself into trouble! The wee hickory shafted putter I spotted was included in a bunch of hickories. Now I am a wee laddie, green and callow, but heart in mouth bid up this bunch of clubs to the maximum of two-and-six ….my half crown.  Little did I know that normally regulars would get a bunch for about a shilling or so and then sell the clubs individually in their pawn shops for a tanner (sixpence) each. I was outbid of course but did not realise I had stirred up one poor soul as he had to cough up an inordinate amount for this particular bundle.  At any rate, disappointed and despondent, I returned to my aunt's digs and she suggested that the next day I visit the pawn shops to buy a putter. Well Sod's Law dictated that the first shop I went into was owned by the disgruntled winning bidder from the day before! Was I chagrined when he told me in no uncertain terms that ANY F*******  PUTTER in his shop was going to cost me three shillings!  This youth fled, and traumatised, did not get a putter for a further six months!

Thanks for the memories and welcome to the site.
I wonder who else on this board has played Silverknowes!?

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

David Jones

« Reply #759 on: May 04, 2015, 06:36:57 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Colin and what a great story.  All a bit different from the way we buy putters in this day and age!

Paul Stockert

« Reply #760 on: May 07, 2015, 05:47:06 PM »
Hi everybody.  "PJ" here, long time listener, first time caller...kidding...I love the site and finally decided to ask to join the forums to join the conversation on golf course architecture.  Thanks for having me.  Here's some info about in case we've not met in 'real life.'   

Hometown:  Dowagiac, MI by way of Dayton OH
Currently Reside:  Chicago, IL
Family: I'm married and we're expecting our first in October (at the end of golf season!), and we also have a 3 year old black lab named 'Alley.'  I have two younger brothers, the youngest of whom has become a fantastic golf buddy in recent years...and unfortunately has been better than me as of lately...I blame this on work.
Home Course:  Ravisloe CC, Homewood, IL (and given that a few of my regular foursome have moved away and/or had children, I'm always up for a new match.  Just message me...until October :) 
Background: Born in Ohio but grew up in Southwest Michigan.  I've lived in Chicago for the past 14 years...long enough that I've started thinking of myself as a Chicagoan.  My grandpa, Bill Horrell, cut down a 5-iron and taught me how to grip the club probably 30 years ago.  I've loved the game ever since.  He also taught me that if you stop making putts, that you should teach the putter a lesson by getting a new one.  Luckily the first time my wife ever asked about all the putters, I thought to tell her that I 'collect' them and somehow legitimized the stack in the corner as a 'collection.'  I recommend this as an excuse to anyone else who needs one.  As far as a golfer, I didn't play better than bogie golf until law school, when my best friend Greg and I collected golf courses like youthful bad decisions and tried to play near-everything public in the Chicago area along with a couple beautiful private tracks.  I got my handicap down to single digits for the first time when we were members at Ravisloe for a short time before it went public.  I've remained loyal to the course since.  I love it there despite it's faults (conditioning sometimes in the past few years, and a slightly gimmicky front 9 for D.Ross) and it has made me appreciate Donald Ross for his ability to design courses that are imminently playable while rarely easily beatable.  They also seem extremely fun to play over and over and over and over like I have Rav (and Lake Wales CC in FL).  My best scores are not there, but neither are my worst, and I plan to continue to stick with it for that reason until I somehow manage the funds to join...say Beverly.  But that could be a while.      
Index:  8.1 as of 5/1/15
Favorite Courses Played: Favorites that I've played and would go back to ASAP if I could, no order/ranking: Lahinch, Whistling Straits, Olympia Fields North, Caledonia Golf and Fish, Beverly CC, Chambers Bay, Old Head.  For nostalgic reasons: Lake Wales CC, Ravisloe CC, Berrien Hills CC.  These beat me up the first time too much to truly enjoy them, but I wouldn't say no to going back and I'd hope to hit it better - Medinah #3, Point O' Woods, Erin Hills.   
Wish List:  1. Successfully teaching my forthcoming child to love golf as much as I do (your tips are welcome!)
                       2. Bucket list courses - Royal County Down, The Old Course, Ballybunion, Waterville, Carnoustie, Royal Melbourne, National Golf Links, Bethpage Black, Chicago Golf Club, Mountain Lake CC, Pebble, Pasatiempo, Pinehurst, French Lick, The Dunes Club (MI), Dunes Golf and Beach Club (SC), Oakland Hills CC, all of Bandon, and a RTJ road trip through bama with buddies.
                       3.  And I think I'm content to dream about Cypress, Pine Valley, and Augusta, since they seem so unrealistic.

Thanks!
~ PJ

“Golf... is the infallible test. The man who can go into a patch of rough alone, with the knowledge that only God is watching him, and play his ball where it lies, is the man who will serve you faithfully and well.”
― P.G. Wodehouse

Rees Milikin

« Reply #761 on: May 07, 2015, 10:07:23 PM »
Hi everybody.  "PJ" here, long time listener, first time caller...kidding...I love the site and finally decided to ask to join the forums to join the conversation on golf course architecture.  Thanks for having me.  Here's some info about in case we've not met in 'real life.'   

Hometown:  Dowagiac, MI by way of Dayton OH
Currently Reside:  Chicago, IL
Family: I'm married and we're expecting our first in October (at the end of golf season!), and we also have a 3 year old black lab named 'Alley.'  I have two younger brothers, the youngest of whom has become a fantastic golf buddy in recent years...and unfortunately has been better than me as of lately...I blame this on work.
Home Course:  Ravisloe CC, Homewood, IL (and given that a few of my regular foursome have moved away and/or had children, I'm always up for a new match.  Just message me...until October :) 
Background: Born in Ohio but grew up in Southwest Michigan.  I've lived in Chicago for the past 14 years...long enough that I've started thinking of myself as a Chicagoan.  My grandpa, Bill Horrell, cut down a 5-iron and taught me how to grip the club probably 30 years ago.  I've loved the game ever since.  He also taught me that if you stop making putts, that you should teach the putter a lesson by getting a new one.  Luckily the first time my wife ever asked about all the putters, I thought to tell her that I 'collect' them and somehow legitimized the stack in the corner as a 'collection.'  I recommend this as an excuse to anyone else who needs one.  As far as a golfer, I didn't play better than bogie golf until law school, when my best friend Greg and I collected golf courses like youthful bad decisions and tried to play near-everything public in the Chicago area along with a couple beautiful private tracks.  I got my handicap down to single digits for the first time when we were members at Ravisloe for a short time before it went public.  I've remained loyal to the course since.  I love it there despite it's faults (conditioning sometimes in the past few years, and a slightly gimmicky front 9 for D.Ross) and it has made me appreciate Donald Ross for his ability to design courses that are imminently playable while rarely easily beatable.  They also seem extremely fun to play over and over and over and over like I have Rav (and Lake Wales CC in FL).  My best scores are not there, but neither are my worst, and I plan to continue to stick with it for that reason until I somehow manage the funds to join...say Beverly.  But that could be a while.      
Index:  8.1 as of 5/1/15
Favorite Courses Played: Favorites that I've played and would go back to ASAP if I could, no order/ranking: Lahinch, Whistling Straits, Olympia Fields North, Caledonia Golf and Fish, Beverly CC, Chambers Bay, Old Head.  For nostalgic reasons: Lake Wales CC, Ravisloe CC, Berrien Hills CC.  These beat me up the first time too much to truly enjoy them, but I wouldn't say no to going back and I'd hope to hit it better - Medinah #3, Point O' Woods, Erin Hills.   
Wish List:  1. Successfully teaching my forthcoming child to love golf as much as I do (your tips are welcome!)
                       2. Bucket list courses - Royal County Down, The Old Course, Ballybunion, Waterville, Carnoustie, Royal Melbourne, National Golf Links, Bethpage Black, Chicago Golf Club, Mountain Lake CC, Pebble, Pasatiempo, Pinehurst, French Lick, The Dunes Club (MI), Dunes Golf and Beach Club (SC), Oakland Hills CC, all of Bandon, and a RTJ road trip through bama with buddies.
                       3.  And I think I'm content to dream about Cypress, Pine Valley, and Augusta, since they seem so unrealistic.

Thanks!

Welcome Paul, what brought you to play Lake Wales CC and when was the last time you played there?

Will Stockert

« Reply #762 on: May 08, 2015, 10:22:32 AM »
Hi everyone.  Will here, love the site, content, and most everything on here.  Excited to start contributing, learning, and taking part.

Hometown: Dowagiac, MI
Currently Reside: Chicago
Occupation:  I have a brother who is a doctor, a brother who is a lawyer, so naturally I'm the Indian Chief.  J/K, Project Manager for Microsoft and Holland America Line
Family:  Two older brothers, one of whom is directly responsible for my recent addiction to this site as well as my larger addiction to this maddening game.  A lady who more than tolerates my obsession with this game and even gets out for 15-20 rounds a year with me.  A recent Uncle to one niece and one more on the way this fall.
Home Course:  Ravisloe CC, Homewood, IL.  But plenty of my golf season is spent in SW Michigan as well as a few weeks up in the Traverse City area.
Background: Born in Michigan and learned the game from my grandfather and older brother.  Spent summers learning and caddying at the Point O'Woods CC and was even lucky enough to loop a few times during the Western AM.  (Unfortunately never carried for Tiger or Figjam though).  Golf took a backseat to basketball and football through high-school and college but I rediscovered my passion and love for the game around 2010-11 when I joined my brother's regular group as their 4th.  At that point the affliction became real.  Most of my rounds for the past few years in Chicago have been spent at Ravisloe CC and because of that I've grown to love and appreciate Donald Ross.  This love is accentuated via extension through many rounds at my grandfather's home course in Lake Wales Florida, Lake Wales CC.  Learning through one of the most famous architect's of the game has taught me to appreciate numerous elements of both classic and modern courses.  It also has produced a desire to search out a wonderful track and I find myself more excited for rounds because of the architect's name rather than because the pro's may have played there.

Index: 7.4
Favorite Courses Played: In no particular order: Beverly CC, Whistling Straits, Caledonia Golf and Fish, Point O' Woods, Fallen Oak, Chambers Bay, Arcadia Bluffs, East Dunmore GC, Streamsong Blue (If you asked me the day we walked off, I probably would have said Red, but 4 months later and I find myself recalling more holes from Blue than Red as being "memorable"), Ravisloe CC, Lake Wales CC.
Wish List: Dunes Club (Michigan), Kinglsey Club (hopefully playing this summer), Crystal Downs, Bandon Dunes, The Ross Course French Lick, Pinehurst #2, Oakland Hills, Lost Dunes (Bridgman), The Old Course, NGLA, Erin Hills, Gator Creek GC (Sarasota), Olympia Fields, Detroit CC, Seminole (Florida), Sand Hills and countless others that I've spent looking at online via Google Earth

Thanks for reading and looking forward to a great experience!

-Will

JLahrman

« Reply #763 on: May 08, 2015, 10:56:16 AM »
Will take this opportunity to update my bio...

Joel Lahrman

Occupation:  Working for a brand consultancy, live in Oakland CA, work in San Francisco.

Handicap: USGA index is listed as 9.7. I post a lot of scores in the 90s. Not sure how that translates to a single digit index.

Home Course: Metropolitan and Monarch Bay.

Married, 15-month-old daughter, 2 dogs.

Favorite course: Camargo

Wish list: To find a way to play more golf.  40 rounds a year would be a dream for me, jealous of those for whom it's an off year.

I grew up in Cincinnati and had the good fortune to work in the bag shop at Camargo (also worked at Scioto while I was an undergrad at the Ohio State University).  Back in 2003 a friend of mine wanted to know more about Camargo.  I did a search to see if I could find any pictures online and came upon Ran's writeup.  I got hooked reading the course profiles, eventually moseyed over to the forum. I met only a few GCAers over the years until attending the 2011 KPI at Bandon. Always seem to enjoy playing golf with whoever I meet from this website.

Other interests:  After 20 years of basketball I have switched to tennis.  Easier to find one person than nine, and fewer dislocated fingers and sprained ankles. I play to about a 3.5 but don't practice this sport enough either. Should have started when I was younger. I am a mediocre guitar and banjo player.  I also enjoy volunteering at my local animal shelter and learning principles of dog training.

Updating (yet again):

Occupation:  Working for a predictive analytics/simulation modeling company. Live in Austin, TX.

Handicap: 11.6, on the way up.

Home Course: Would have to say Roy Kizer.

Married, 3-year-old daughter, 1-year-old son, 2 dogs.

Favorite course: Camargo

Wish list: To find a way to play more golf.  20 rounds a year would be a dream for me, jealous of those for whom it's an off year.

Steve Lang

« Reply #764 on: May 08, 2015, 12:41:47 PM »
 8) JLahrman,

When was the last time you had some Skyline or Graeter's ice cream?  

available at your local krogers?

or are you a gold star type guy?

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

JLahrman

« Reply #765 on: May 08, 2015, 01:14:52 PM »
8) JLahrman,

When was the last time you had some Skyline or Graeter's ice cream?  

available at your local krogers?

or are you a gold star type guy?

I have been a vegetarian for about six years and have not had red meat in 9 years, so it's been awhile on the chili. Yes I am a vegetarian living in the BBQ capital of the world (Austin TX).

I had a lot of Skyline growing up though. A lot. I definitely preferred Skyline to Gold Star but I certainly did not turn down any Gold Star chili.

Graeter's has been awhile as well. Now that my parents have moved to Houston, I don't have a lot of reason to visit the Cincinnati area. I would say probably 3 years on Graeter's. It's good stuff, the raspberry chocolate chip is killer.

Paul Stockert

« Reply #766 on: May 08, 2015, 06:10:34 PM »

Welcome Paul, what brought you to play Lake Wales CC and when was the last time you played there?
[/quote]

Rees,

As Will mentioned after your question 9not sure if you saw it), our grandpa lives on #1 green at Lake Wales CC.  I'm a big fan of the course when the greens are rolling nicely, and it's hard to find a better pro than Bob Forward.  Second to Ravisloe and the courses I grew up playing I probably have played LWCC more than any other track.  Most recently we were there in January, along with a round at Southern Dunes and a couple at Streamsong.  And for any Donald Ross lovers who are in that neck of the woods, its much simpler to get on LWCC than say Mountain Lake.  I actually think LW may be allowing some public play.

~ PJ

“Golf... is the infallible test. The man who can go into a patch of rough alone, with the knowledge that only God is watching him, and play his ball where it lies, is the man who will serve you faithfully and well.”
― P.G. Wodehouse

Nigel Islam

« Reply #767 on: May 08, 2015, 10:02:51 PM »
Are we officially calling Lake Wales a Raynor now?

Rees Milikin

« Reply #768 on: May 08, 2015, 10:09:03 PM »
Are we officially calling Lake Wales a Raynor now?

We should be, I just passed along my thread to Will & Paul.

Don Tappan

« Reply #769 on: June 17, 2015, 09:49:03 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Ran just set me up as the first guinea pig signing up with the new forum architecture. Living in New York now I have found learning the history, design process and construction of courses makes me appreciate the game when I am able to get out. With so many of the great new courses coming in as remediation sites, I am interested as how they aren't as nature made them but still provide great set-ups for the game (with varying success). We can't go back 100+ years and claim the best golf land but there is something powerful about taking what was discarded and turning it in to something great. Not all are great but seeing some interesting things with Streamsong, Chambers, Bayonne, Ferry Point and Liberty National.

With that, here is a little more on me.

Don

Hometown: Livonia, MI
Currently Reside: NYC

Occupation:  I work for an Energy Venture Capital firm, investing in start-ups in both renewable and traditional energy technologies
Family:  Four siblings and parents who don't play. Grandpa who was a club champion level player back in the 80s but lost his health before we got to play together. Lots of old trophies and clubs laying around that make me wish he was still around.
Home Course:  I belong to Golf & Body (6 simulators and a nice gym) in the city which helps work on the game for when I am able to get out. It is amazing what seeing every swing does for instant feedback and makes you feel in your swing. Play a good bit back in Michigan and around the country when I travel for work. Looking to join somewhere as a national/junior member that I can get to a handful of times per year and maximize use.
Background: Played in the muni junior leagues when I was younger but got away from the game for a few years. Attending U of M where playing an Alister design for $25 got me in to what a great course looks like (and Radrick, the early Pete Dye). Since then, played as much as I can, whether that is the best thing locally with some friends gambling more than the greens fees or the best courses in Michigan and now around the country.
Index: 15.1
Favorite Courses Played: In no particular order: Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Chambers Bay, Arcadia Bluffs, Streamsong, Bethpage Black and Red, Kingsley, Pete Dye Golf Club, Bandon (probably Old Mac and Pacific tops)
Wish List: Crystal Downs, NGLA, Shinnecock, Sand Hills, Winged Foot, Baltusrol, Machrihanish, Old Course, Cabot (waiting for both courses to be open), Yale
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:54:09 PM by Don Tappan »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #770 on: November 24, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »
Perhaps Tommy Williamson would like to peruse.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Wuthrich

« Reply #771 on: November 24, 2015, 02:45:19 PM »
Hometown:  Houston, TX
Family: I'm married and have two sons (16 and 13).
Home Course:  Champions Golf Club, Houston, TX  (Jackie Burke's club)
Background: Have been playing golf since I was 12 years old.  My brother and I started traveling the country and playing significant courses in 1984 and have been doing so ever since.  Really love to get out and see new courses in different parts of the world. Have been on a magazine rating panel for the past 16 years.
Why am I here:  Met Joe Andriole at NGLA this fall and he said that I needed to join
Handicap:  My wife and two kids!
Favorite Courses Played: Blonds, Brunnettes or Redheads?  I have been fortunate to have met some wonderful golfers who have allowed me to play most of the best courses around, but have found nothing better than Shinnecock Hills!
Favorite Architects:  Tillinghast, Raynor, MacDonald, MacKenzie, Flynn, Doak, Coore/Crenshaw, Dye

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #772 on: November 25, 2015, 09:06:26 PM »
Perhaps Tommy Williamson would like to peruse.

I did.  Is there some reason you thought I wouldn't?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rick Emerson

« Reply #773 on: November 30, 2015, 09:55:26 AM »
Hometown: Gaithersburg MD
Currently Reside: Tianjin, China
Family: married for 10 years with two boys ages 4 and 6
Background: Got my first set when I was 11. Got a job at the local muni (Needwood Gold Course) when I was in high school so I could afford to play regularly in the DC area. Continued to work at courses in Texas through College and Grad School. Even had a brief stint as an assistant pro. Now I just use my free time from teaching summers off and location to play golf all over China and hopefully Asia. I'm also looking to spend some time in the summers getting to great courses when at home in the U.S.
Why am I here: I've enjoyed reading the content here for a couple years. Out of thanks I gave a donation and was contacted by Ran. He offered to let me be a part of the discussion group.
Handicap: 5
Favorite courses played: U.S.: Pinehurst #2. China: So far Lake Course at Spring City for Design. Stone Forest Leaders Peak for sheer craziness and spectacle.
Wish List: NGLA, Cypress, Pine Valley, Sand Hills, Crystal Down, Merion
Favorite Architects (courses seen in person): Ross, Curley, (soon mackenzie, Doak, Coore Crenshaw, after my epic oz trip in January)

Curtis Loop

« Reply #774 on: November 30, 2015, 02:58:06 PM »
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:30:59 AM by CLoop »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back