News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Warren

Re: Who Are You Guys(revisited)?
« Reply #675 on: October 09, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
Adam,

Your first assignment is to give your committee its proper name.

What would that be?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #676 on: October 09, 2013, 10:06:16 AM »
Adam,

Your first assignment is to give your committee its proper name.

What would that be?

Green committee. Are you responsible for keeping the greens up, but letting the rest of the course go to pot?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Adam Warren

« Reply #677 on: October 09, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »
Yes, we are only worried about the greens.... ;)

What do you suggest it be called?  This was the name when I came in, I didn't really decide the name.

Garland Bayley

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill Crane

« Reply #679 on: October 09, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »
Bill Crane   a k a   Wm Flynnfan
Married with two children – a Jr. at Denison, Granville, OH, and a Soph. at Elon, NC
Residence:  Princeton, NJ
Home Club:   Springdale Golf Club, Princeton NJ, member of Board of Governors, Membership Chair.
  Also member of the Outpost Club
Career:   Private Wealth Management – Lending, Deutsche Bank – New York City
Education:  Bucknell University,   the Kent School
GHIN index:  7.2 (Oct 2013)
Favorite Courses:
Springdale  {for every day - regular play}
Merion
Pine Valley
Royal Dornoch
Kittansett
Chechessee Creek Club
Yale
North Berwick
Crystal Downs
Eastward Ho
Somerset Hills
Hidden Creek
Brora
Plainfield
Royal Hague (NL)
Round Hill Club

ETC:   Established the Springdale GC History and Archives Society with long time friend and fellow GCAer Malcolm McKinnon.  With connections to Hugh Wilson, Bill Campbell, Woodrow Wilson, the Battle of Princeton and many other historical figures and events our club has a fascinating and unique history.  We were the 6th club in NJ to join the USGA.

Joined the Outpost Club for access to the home clubs incl. Yale and CCC, and to meet other golfers, and enjoy some of the events and associated clubs.  Been posting on GCA occasionally for a little over two years, and have been attending GCA events in our area as well.
I am a good networker and feel very fortunate to have been able to play many interesting and special golf courses.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:17:34 PM by Bill Crane »

Ross Harmon

« Reply #680 on: October 09, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »
Ross Harmon
32 years old
Denver, CO
Home Course: Ballyneal
HCP: 14
Married, son 3, daughter 9 months

Hometown: Granger, IN - grew up playing at Knollwood CC. Have several friends who are now members at South Bend CC, so play there often as a guest when back.

Favorite courses played: Ballyneal, Old Macdonald, Teeth of the Dog, Pacific Dunes, Sand Hills, Crooked Stick, Bandon Trails, Blackwolf Run (Original), Yale, Victoria National, Bandon Dunes

Other favorites in Denver area: Colorado Golf Club, Riverdale Dunes, CommonGround, Green Valley Ranch (haven't played Cherry Hills, but have walked it and is also certainly on this list)

School: BS - Purdue, MS - Colorado State

Work: Business development for a business/ IT consulting firm

Fun fact: My wife hit a hole-in-one the first time we played together on the first par 3 on the course, I have not had one (yet)

David Harshbarger

« Reply #681 on: October 10, 2013, 01:25:29 AM »
Ross,

In college, I was showing a friend how to play poker.  We played an open hand of 5 card draw. She drew a royal straight flush (in hearts). It was completely lost on her. I hope your wife's hole in one was not!

Dave
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #682 on: October 10, 2013, 02:59:41 AM »
Adam,

http://www.usga.org/uploadedFiles/News_Headlines/GreenCommittee.pdf

I didn't read the document, but traditionally the course was called the "green" or "fair green". Within the rules of golf "through the green" is defined as the whole golf course except hazards and the teeing ground and putting green of the hole being played. What should the Green Committee be called?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #683 on: October 10, 2013, 01:23:21 PM »
Donal,

The Green Committee should be called the Green Committee. According to Adam, he is chairman of the Greens Committee.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #684 on: October 10, 2013, 06:59:54 PM »
Donal,

The Green Committee should be called the Green Committee. According to Adam, he is chairman of the Greens Committee.

Garland,

Do go all Mucci on us now  ;D  :D  :)

Jim Colton

« Reply #685 on: October 10, 2013, 07:16:08 PM »
Ross,

In college, I was showing a friend how to play poker.  We played an open hand of 5 card draw. She drew a royal straight flush (in hearts). It was completely lost on her. I hope your wife's hole in one was not!

Dave

Dave,

I've never met Ross's wife, but I'm willing to bet that the accomplishment wasn't lost on her.

Adam Warren

« Reply #686 on: October 11, 2013, 09:13:03 AM »
Donal,

Many apologies for an offensive term...

Jason Topp

« Reply #687 on: October 11, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »
Donal,
Many apologies for an offensive term...

In the real world you are more likely to offend using "Green Committee."  The listener will either think you made a mistake or are in charge of the St. Patrick's Day party.  

For super-traditionalists or the pedantic "greens committee" sounds as if you do not know the traditional term or are in charge of salads.  When I was chair of the "greens committee" at my old club, I referred to it as the "green committee" here because I did not want to receive a torrent of corrections.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #688 on: October 11, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »
Sorry to have disrupted the thread so much with this. I thought I would get an immediate recognition of the mistaken nomenclature, and a quick correction.

Since we can't seem to get it right this side of the pond, maybe people should start naming their committees the Course Committee.

jvisser

« Reply #689 on: October 13, 2013, 08:44:07 AM »
Jan Visser
41 years old
Living in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Home course: Noordwijk
Handicap: 4
Occupation: physicist at national institute for subatomic physics in Amsterdam
Volunteer for Netherlands golf federation as referee and tournament director

Favorite courses
NL: Noordwijk, Haagsche, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven
UK: Royal St George, Rye, Deal, Sunningdale, Crail,
US: Bandon; Pacific, Dunes, Trails
EU: Falkenstein

RJ_Daley

« Reply #690 on: October 13, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »
Finally, someone who understands the physics involved of how to play hole #10 at Riviera!   ;) ;D

Welcome to the discussion, Jan.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill Buthorn

« Reply #691 on: December 21, 2013, 12:02:47 AM »
Gentlemen,
I do not know all of you, actually not any of you, so I assume the term is loosely applied!
I have been reading this site for several years, and am recently instated.
Who am I?
I am a retired schoolteacher in the PNW, Olympia WA to be exact.
I started golf when I was 12, a long story, but I grew up in Grand Jct. CO, and played at Lincoln Park for 15 bucks a year!
My current index is about 4.5, and am 65 years old, Medicare,  love it.
I winter in AZ, have a small house in the Verrado area, you are all welcome there.  Likely, you will find it every bit as good as the higher priced Scottsdale group.
Most of my summer golf is played at Tumwater Valley, a muni in the community of the same name.  It is cheap, there are no houses, there are all sorts of flora and fauna, and my friends like it.  
All time favorite course played, Pebble, although it is overpriced, Mauna Kea, and several others are close.  Favorite course for the money, there are many, but Redlands Mesa is a good start.
I am a west coast guy, so those of you who are east coast, and flash the fancy names, I am envious of the golf, but would not trade for the climate or lifestyle.
I enjoy this website, and hope to meet many of you in person.
I am making my first pilgrimage to Scotland next fall, I will need your advice.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #692 on: December 21, 2013, 08:57:44 AM »
Hello golf nuts,

Name: Rob Curtiss - Bobby C on the golf course
Handicap: 9-10
Married: 21 years - 2 kids- 15 year old daughter, 12 year old son- doesnt play- but is great Baseball player

Started playing in 2007- got hooked- played all other sports my high school years and beyond. Cant do it anymore. Golf became more than just a sport- it is now a passion

Got invited to play the Olympic Club- 3 weeks prior to the U S OPEN in 2012 and have been even more hooked since.
Love the old school courses-especially the hidden gems

In the past 5 years have played 173 different courses in 16 different states. 122 public/51 private

Favorite courses played - Oak hill east-3 weeks after the PGA, Olympic - Lake course, Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Pasatiempo, Inverness, Monterey Peninsula-Shore course, Lookout Mountain

I love meeting new people and playing with anyone interested in the sport. I think about the design aspect more and more eveytime I play. Love the old school courses with Character..Unfortunately , not a lot in florida.

Love Donald Ross- Salem CC, Sara Bay, Timuquana, Lake Wales CC, Inverness, Oak HIll, etc.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 06:18:25 PM by Rob Curtiss »

Jon Adkins

« Reply #693 on: June 07, 2014, 11:05:05 PM »
It appears this thread has been dormant for a while, but as a new member this week, I thought I'd take this opportunity to introduce myself.

Jon Adkins
33 years old
Chicago, IL
Handicap: 6.5
Home course: I play all over the Chicagoland area, but keep my index at Harborside International

Hometown: Carmel, IN (just north of Indianapolis)

Favorite courses played: Kiawah Island Ocean Course, Crooked Stick GC, Wolf Run GC, Flossmoor CC, Calumet CC (former member), Midlothian CC, The Fort GC, Purgatory GC

School: BS - College of Charleston, MBA - Butler University

Work: Web Communications Director for a trade association in the Chicago suburbs

Hobbies (other than golf, which is an obsession): Live music, craft beer, food/cooking, travel, and reading about all of the above

I've been reading GCA.com for few years and really enjoy the site. I look forward to participating in the discussion forum and hopefully linking up with members in the Chicago area and elsewhere for some golf in the future.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #694 on: June 07, 2014, 11:09:46 PM »
Jon, haven't you played Beverly?  It's better than all but one of your favorites.

Jon Adkins

« Reply #695 on: June 07, 2014, 11:44:20 PM »
John,

No, I haven't played Beverly, but have heard great things. One of these days, perhaps!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #696 on: June 07, 2014, 11:55:53 PM »
John,

No, I haven't played Beverly, but have heard great things. One of these days, perhaps!

Welcome, Jon.

If you didn't see it already, there's actually a GCA outing at Beverly on July 8 if you're free. There's also another at Black Sheep on June 25.  Following is info on both:

Beverly: July 8 -- http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58517.0.html
Black Sheep: June 25 -- http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58469.0.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #697 on: June 08, 2014, 12:18:41 AM »
I missed this thread too, so here goes:

Name: Jon Cavalier
Hometown: Philadelpha, PA
Index: 5-6
Status: Married, no kids, two chocolate labs (one is 13 years old, one is 8 months)
Profession: Attorney (labor and employment litigation)
Home course: Frequently travel, so I play all over, but I'm currently a member at DuPont CC

Some Favorite Courses Played (no particular order):
Merion
Oakmont
Maidstone
Yale
Sleepy Hollow
Fox Chapel
Creek Club
Piping Rock
Greenbrier Old White
Mountain Lake
Elkridge Club
Lancaster CC
St. George's

Favorite Architects: CB Macdonald / Seth Raynor, William Flynn, Coore & Crenshaw, Tom Doak

Current Goals:
1. Play all CB Macdonald / Seth Raynor courses
2. Reach 500 total courses played by the end of next year and 2000 total lifetime (currently 373)
3. Play golf in all 50 states (currently 23)
4. Play Bandon Dunes
5. Find two weeks to go to Scotland
6. Play NGLA

Played my first round of golf at Hartefeld National in 2000 - shot 126, was hooked immediately and it's only gotten worse since. I typically play north of 100 rounds a year and should therefore be better than I am.  I'm a huge fan of classic golf courses and newly designed "minimalist" courses. Absolutely love playing new golf courses. Really enjoy meeting and playing with new people who love the game of golf.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Garland Bayley

« Reply #698 on: June 09, 2014, 04:47:36 PM »
Played my first round of golf at Hartefeld National in 2000 - shot 126, was hooked immediately and it's only gotten worse since. ...

You mean to tell me that you shot 126, didn't play 15 inch cups, AND were still hooked immediately?
I guess you don't know Jack (Nicklaus). ;)

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #699 on: June 09, 2014, 05:05:43 PM »
Played my first round of golf at Hartefeld National in 2000 - shot 126, was hooked immediately and it's only gotten worse since. ...

You mean to tell me that you shot 126, didn't play 15 inch cups, AND were still hooked immediately?
I guess you don't know Jack (Nicklaus). ;)

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great."

"Avoid the clap."

Two fine pieces of wisdom from Jimmy Dugan

Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back