GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Another top 100 list, "Top 100 Most Prestigious Clubs in the US"

<< < (8/8)

George Pazin:

--- Quote from: Gene Greco on March 03, 2006, 02:12:53 PM ---  As long as we're quibbling, Maidstone should be at or near the top of this list.

Two one hundred year old golf courses on the ocean, perfectly manicured GRASS tennis courts with players wearing whites only, oceanfront beach club on one of the most beautiful beachfronts in the world complete with 50 year waiting lists for salt water poolside cabanas, grand old clubhouse all located on one of the most expensive pieces of real estate in this world.

Prospective members' wives must host a tea. Should this social event go awry in any way....well, the blackball falls.

Only recently an individual (no spouse) was not invited back because he was "too visible." Seems he spent a bit too much time at the club during his first year of membership and he only played twice a week.

Maidstone is the Hope Diamond of "Society" in this hemisphere and is, at the very least, the finest country club in the world.

I believe those at "Golf Connoisseur" aren't the connoiseurs they think they are - Pine Valley over Maidstone, Augusta National and Seminole?

--- End quote ---

Thanks for sharing this, Gene, it is one of the more entertaining posts I've seen in awhile. :)

Makes me think that Tom P's phrase should be extended to the real world as well:

"It's a great big world and there's room in it for all of us."

Winter will be gone soon, and Huck will still be stuck on the West Coast, far away from the wonders of Nebraska and Long Island.... Heck, even Pennsy is special by comparison. ;D

Tom Huckaby:
George:

Good one!
On those three days a year you guys have that are good golf weather, I'll happily acknowledge the superiority.  Make sure and remind me.

;D ;D ;D

George Pazin:
Come on, it's at least 4 or 5!

Now that I think back, the weather during the 03 Am really was great. I think we got 6-7 virtually rainless days strung together, which JohnV will attest may be a record in the Burgh.

:)

Jim Thompson:
This list is just another example of people not doing their research and avoiding the obvious conflicts so critical to today's game. I don't think they have the guts to ask the really tough question when it come to the most prestigious clubs in America.  We all know who the two most prestigous clubs are, but who wants to caught between the BBGE and the HCORJG????  Talk about prestigious!  Whatsome popl wouldn't do for those bag tags!

Cheers!

JT

TEPaul:
" Maidstone is a country club to be enjoyed by the entire family."

Gene:

You're sure right about that, and as great as Pine Valley may be, no one ever accused that place of one to be enjoyed by the entire family.  ;)

I just love Maidstone---everything about it. I love the course almost more than any other. I love the club, the clubhouse, the lockeroom, the Beach club and all the different stuff going on. My spagehetti lunches at the Beach, all app 1,000  of them, are memorable too. You just never know who you might bump into at the Beach club. I used to love to go around the corner on that range and hit balls until I couldn't take it anymore. But what's the most memorable of all to me about Maidstone is it's where I had one of only about 3-4 "Moments" of my entire life. I was standing on the balcony of the clubhouse about 20 years ago at the beginning of the Saturday night party of the Maidstone Bowl. It was such a beautiful evening, the sun had just gone down and I was looking over the two spires of the beach club at the sea and all of a sudden it was almost like I got physically sucked into a time flow where I could just feel all the generations and all the people who'd looked upon that scene and had been part of it over all the substantial years of Maidstone. It wasn't just physical, I could hear the sounds too---the children, the murmurs of all of it etc.

And the weird thing was I'd only had about three sips of my first drink.

Maidstone is very a special place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version