News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Golf Courses with Railway Tunnels Underneath
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:02:56 PM »
In this thread http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=22071 I mention the railway tunnel under the first four holes at Betchworth Park near Dorking. How many other courses have railway or highway tunnels in use under some part of the golf course?

Actually in this case it would make more sense to say "courses built atop railway tunnels" since the tunnel was there before the Betchworth was built in 1913.

Mark_Fine

Re:Golf Courses with Railway Tunnels Underneath
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 10:25:52 PM »
We have a photo of one in our book - The Weston Golf Club in Canada.  I believe Ian Andrew found us the photo.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 11:00:46 PM »
Doesn't one have to walk through some sort of mining tunnel at the Pete Dye Golf Club out in WV?  Does it fit the criteria for this list?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 11:13:13 PM »
The Presidio GC in SF has a road tunnel (the Park Presidio Blvd. approach to the Golden Gate Bridge) that runs under the course. The tunnel was built in the 1950's (I think), well after the course was laid out. Dirt removed from boring the tunnel was deposited on the course to fill in a very large swale in the 3rd fairway (used to be #12 fairway).

A large air shaft from the tunnel surfaces adjacent to the #16 green (used to be #7 before the nines were reversed) and it is not uncommon to hear cars in the tunnel honking their horns while you are standing over a putt on that green!

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 11:50:25 PM »
Gil Hanse's new Boston Golf Club features a road tunnel in use which separates the front nine from the back nine.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 04:22:13 AM »
I recently played Swansea Bay.  Nothing great about the course, but there are several very good holes.  Including that pop up bunkering that Pat Mucci admires so much.  I think after four holes the player goes under an exit ramp for the M4 to the links side of the course.  The exit ramp is featured on a terrific fish hook par five with the green resting directly below the raised ramp!  Ingenious use of land.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brent Hutto

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 09:41:14 AM »
The one at the Presidio sounds really cool to me. I've been honked at by passing cars while putting but never from underground passing cars. Imagine if it were a railway tunnel and they blew the train horn!

Sean, why do I think that there could never be a golf course in the USA with a green under a highway ramp? Maybe not even in England for that matter, sounds more like a Scotland or Wales thing. Very neat indeed.

Chris Parker

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 09:57:57 AM »
We have a photo of one in our book - The Weston Golf Club in Canada.  I believe Ian Andrew found us the photo.

Mark,

I always thought that Weston had a railway bridge spanning over the course.  I could be wrong.
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Ian Andrew

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 10:42:20 AM »
Hit it under the bridge...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 10:44:28 AM by Ian Andrew »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 11:22:32 AM »
Woodland Golf Club in Auburdale, MA has the course separated into two parts by the D Branch of the Green Line of the Boston subway (The T).  A tunnel brings golfers between the 3rd green/4th tee, and between the 14th green and 15th tee.  Several times you have to stop to let a rattling train go by.  This was Francis Ouimet's course, it's a Ross with Stiles in its history as well.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 12:07:35 PM »
Ian, what a great photo!...Does the Weston GC still exist?...If so is there any local rule regarding hitting the viaduct or is it just a "rub of the brick?"  ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 12:09:13 PM by Jim Adkisson »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 12:08:32 PM »
Disley Golf Club in Cheshire plays over a railway tunnel and there is still a ventilation shaft alongside one of the early holes.  Also St Deiniol at Bangor in North Wales.  I should be very surprised if there were not others, too.  Dunham Forest in Cheshire and Highgate in North London both play over reservoirs which have been covered over with concrete and turfed.  

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 12:53:46 PM »
Howley Hall GC near Leeds, England where I did my first apprenticeship has a tunnel going under the 3rd, 4th and 6th holes

Ian Andrew

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 02:17:06 PM »
The hole now plays up to the railway bridge with a green in front. You walk through to the next tee. It no longer plays "through", and it was indeed rub of the green if you hit the pillar.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 02:17:50 PM by Ian Andrew »

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 02:40:43 PM »
St-Germain has no actual tunnel, but a railway dissects the course and acts as out of bounds on a few holes. H.Colt exploited significant amounts of calcareous fill left from the railway construction to give interest to an otherwise flat site.

I find the passage inviting although a quick glance and a brisk step is always advisable.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 03:23:44 PM »
Though not a rail line, the Dellwood Country Club in New City, New York, has an active city street that cuts through the middle of both the 1st & 17th holes. The course was built by Tilly as a private course for Hollywood mogul Adolf Zukor and after he died the city cited emminent domain and put this now very active connecting street through the property (early 60's?).

On the first hole the street is in play on the second shot to an uphill green. On the 17th, there is now a club rule preventing anyone from hitting a wood off the tee as the street down below is in play. In fact, if your drive manages to carry the road you are issued an actual fine by the club.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 03:34:27 PM »
Sorry, the course does go "under" the railway.  The picture Ian posted is the one we used.  

Ian Andrew

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 09:07:48 PM »
Mark,

I'm sure you still have a million things swirling through your head after writing your book, which I have been going through when I have time. I just wished I had given you some Thompson photos to be included - but the Weston one is fun isn't it.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 09:29:46 PM »
Ian,
I thought for sure we used one but maybe not.  There were soooooo many images to find and/or sort through and permissions to get and on and on.  Maybe we'll slip one in during the next printing.
Mark

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 11:33:03 PM »
Doesn't one have to walk through some sort of mining tunnel at the Pete Dye Golf Club out in WV?  Does it fit the criteria for this list?

Yes you can, but you dont have to, walk through an old mining shaft (to get from the 7th to the 8th I think).  It fits with the theme of the course as the previous hole plays along an exposed long wall down the right side with a highly visible coal seam running down its length.

The walk though the mine shaft is pretty cool.  And a welcome cool damp shaded walk on a hot summer day.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back