News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Lovett

"Classics" in Florida?????
« on: January 29, 2006, 10:12:16 PM »
Locations such as Long Island, Philadelphia, and parts of California are known for a high concentration of "classic" golf courses (older courses, built in the "Golden Age" with great architectural merit).  

Although there is an abundance of golf in Florida, and many modern courses are quite good, it is not known as a location of these types of older "classic" golf courses

I can think of very few (Seminole & Mountain Lakes off the top of my head).  Are there others?  If so, what qualifies them?

Jordan Wall

Re:"Classics" in Florida?????
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 10:17:41 PM »
World Woods
Seminole
Boca Rio

Those are ones I think of.  I (notice I said I...I...I) think Bay Hill is pretty nice too but not many other GCA'ers agree.

redanman

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 10:22:02 PM »
Seminole leads the pack - Timaqua, Gulf Stream, Mountain Lake and of course Fernandia Beach!

Actually there are a lot of classics, they're just not consistently up to the level of say NJ, NY or PA.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 10:24:52 PM »
Jordan,

Seminole qualifies, without a doubt.  

The World Woods courses, while excellent, may not even be 15 years in existence - too young perhaps to be considered as a "classic"?

Boca Rio was built in the 60's I believe - probably still considered a "modern" golf course?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 11:11:34 PM »
How about some of the Ross courses in FL- Sara Bay in Sarasota, CC of Orlando, Ft. Myers CC, the NLE Ponce de Leon in St. Augustine and Timacuan? How about Flynn's Indian Creek and Boca Raton ?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 11:12:48 PM »
Jupiter Hills

Chris Neff

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 04:21:37 PM »
Seminole,Timuquana,Gulfstream,Palm Beach CC,Biltmore, Palma Ceia CC,Indian Creek, Riviera CC,Sara Bay CC. This names a few that have some great traditions and have kept true to the classic style.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 05:28:41 PM »
How about El Campeon at the Mission Inn Resort in good ole Howey in the Hills? Designed in 1926 by the Scot Clarke.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 05:40:23 PM »
How's this for classic era Florida?  The 18th fairway looking towards the clubhouse, the highest point in Dade County.  All man-made at 35' above sea level.

DTaylor18

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 05:56:45 PM »
Wayne, thanks for posting the picture.  That is one of my favorite courses, especially in Florida.  An especially good picture during the winter time!

wsmorrison

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 06:31:50 PM »
It was 60 degrees here in Philadelphia today, Dan.  But a photo of Indian Creek would perk me up no matter what season!

Too bad work and a "frozen shoulder"  keeps me off the course these days.  By the way has anyone had this malady?  It is also called adhesive capsulitis.  Diagnosis by the big orthopaedic guy from Allentown.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back