News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Liddy

Re:Top 25 golf greens in the world?
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2006, 01:22:23 PM »
How about some photos of these gems?

Paul Payne

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2006, 02:03:45 PM »
I have only played a handful of truly world class golf courses so it is hard for me to compare.

That thought aside, I can't think of many better that Sand Hills #3. Especially when you factor in how it impacts the way you play the hole. There have to be dozens of combinations of pin placement and wind that would create a different shot. Some you may air mail, others you would run up and play of the ridge. I love that green.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2006, 02:26:19 PM »
I just don't know how you can pick 25 greens from the range of things out there.  I don't even know that I could pick 25 from my own body of work ... and my work wouldn't account for even 1% of the total number of great greens out there.

Heck, on Lost Dunes alone, there are a number of great ones that get no recognition because #4 is such a lightning rod:

The third green there is amazingly severe for a green where the difference from highest to lowest point is probably only two feet.  
The seventh green is one of the coolest approach shots on the course, with the right wing falling away from play and encouraging you to use the ridge in the left-center to feed the ball in, with the same ridge also making for a great tight left hole location.  
The twelfth green is pretty wild, too.
Yet, I would have to say my favorite of all of those is the eleventh, with its high right plateau and backboard.

And that's just Lost Dunes.  White Bear Yacht Club has just as many, and I don't think anyone has mentioned it.

PS  Thanks Tom Dunne for reminding me of the fifth green at Walton Heath.  I had just about forgotten it over the years, but played there two years ago and just couldn't stop smiling after I saw that one again.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2006, 03:26:16 PM »
How you guys can remember all the details of these greens is amazing. Unless I have played a course multiple times, I am not qualified to answer other than my home courses.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Paul Payne

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2006, 03:44:32 PM »
Cary,

Generally I'd have to agree with you but to me personally one sign of a truly great course is after very few or sometimes only one round I can play the entire course over and over in my mind. Some courses just don't stick with you that way.

A good example up here is Hazeltine. I have played it many times and I can get some holes from memory but the course just doesn't stick in my mind at all. I have never therefore thought it as good as its ranking.

Maybe that creates a bias but eventually I find myself thinking more about what I don't like about that course than what I do.

Andy Levett

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2006, 05:36:04 PM »
The Par 5 2nd at Perranporth is amazing - there's so much going on even at fairly slow green speeds. Hard to capture on film.

Sean_A

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2006, 05:52:20 PM »
Andy

Where are the rest of your Perranporth photos?  I have been waiting patiently for some time.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jordan Wall

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2006, 06:02:46 PM »
How about some photos of these gems?

Hers a couple I thought looked really really ccol:

Kyle Harris

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2006, 06:23:38 PM »
Jordan,

Where are the last two?

George Pazin

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2006, 06:26:44 PM »
Kyle, those are photos from Ran's review of Friars Head.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jordan Wall

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2006, 08:27:17 PM »
Number's 1, 7, and 9 to be exact

SPDB

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2006, 10:22:54 AM »

SPDB:

Misquamicutt's #6 is sort of hard to describe. But once one plays the hole a few times you can see that it's a remarkably complex green to both approach and putt on to various pins even if at first it may not look like it from the tee. I think this one reveals itself in the subtle mistakes it seems to force on golfers. It seems like some of them can't believe what happens.

Tom - I've played Misquamicut a number of times. I disagree with you regarding #6, or, rather, I think there a number of greens on the course that are more interesting (e.g. #s 4, 9). I do think that #6 is a very cool hole, though.

james soper

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2006, 12:22:37 PM »
seminole #16

Michael Robin

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2006, 12:37:45 PM »
How about something from Stanley Thompson's work? Maybe the 4th at Highlands Links?

John Goodman

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2006, 01:00:31 PM »
Here's a stab at an "electic" set of greens, by hole no.:

1.  Portstewart (Strand)
2.  Sandwich
3.  Carnoustie
4.  Spyglass
5.  Pinehurst #2
6.  Royal Ashdown Forest
7.  Teeth of the Dog
8.  Brancaster
9.  Pebble Beach
10.  Yale
11.  Ballybunion
12.  TOC
13.  Muirfield
14.  Royal Dornoch
15.  St. Andrews (Jubilee)
16.  Pasatiempo
17.  Brora
18.  Boat of Garten

peter_mcknight

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2006, 03:49:41 PM »
Well, since most of the great ones have already been described, let me add SVCC Old Course 11, the turtle to the discussion.  I love that green.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2006, 04:59:51 PM »
5th Arcadia Bluffs
16th Brae Burn GC, Plymouth, MI
6th Bald Mountain GC
13th Bald Mountain GC
10th The Powelton Club

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back