GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Hillcrest CC in Los Angeles

<< < (6/8) > >>

ed_getka:
David,
   One of the great things about this site is finding the guys who like what you do, and then you'll know who to ask for recommendations. I haven't played a course that was recommended here in the last five years that I didn't like. Every round I play is precious, and I hate wasting time on mediocre courses, especially ones that charge too much.

BTW, what is your handicap? What are 5 personal favorite courses?

THuckaby2:

--- Quote from: David Ober on November 04, 2005, 04:12:22 PM ---
--- Quote from: Brent Hutto on November 04, 2005, 03:53:18 PM ---...OTOH, I'm like Tom Hucakaby in that I look at most any golf course in decent shape and not a totally boring pasture and think "Wow, this is pretty cool". On the gripping hand, I refuse to rate courses against each other anyway so what do I know?

--- End quote ---

Then you, Tom, and I should get along fine, because that's kind of how I look at golf courses. I simply enjoy playing golf so much, that as long as a course is fair, somewhat challenging, is in decent shape, and isn't repetitive, I'm probably going to enjoy it quite a bit.

--- End quote ---

I know Brent and I are two peas in this love of golf pod - so welcome aboard, David.  I do love that summary... my catch-phrase for this is "I could have fun playing golf on parking lot if the friends were good and the beer was cold" but I like your phrase a lot more.

I do love this game.

;D

But speaking of Hillcrest, dammit I lived in LA half my life and that's one of the few I never got to play.  No junior or HS tourneys or matches there.  I have heard mixed reviews though... Doak 4 does sound harsh to me though.

I may get crucified for this also but I think Rustic is a Doak 8.  It is a course of distinction and people do travel great distances to play it.

Speaking of this, that Doak scale summary I posted before, re-posted on here, was fleshed out more for me.  The current best take on that that anyone's given me is this:

0: so contrived and unnatural, cannot recommend under any circumstances.

1: Very basic course; clear architectural malpractice and/or
poor maintenance. Avoid even if desperate for a game.

2: mediocre course with little architectural interest, but nothing really horrible. (Play it in a scramble and drink a lot of beer).

3: about the level of the avg. course in the world.

4: modestly interesting; with at least a couple of distinctive holes or some scenic interest. Also reserved for some very good courses which are much too short or narrow to  provide sufficient chalenge for low-handicappers.

5: Well above the avg. course, but the middle of this scale. A good course if in the vicinity, but not worth setting aside a day to visit.

6:  A very good course, definitely worth a game, but not necessarily worth a special trip to see. It shouldn't disappoint you.

7:  An excellent course, worth checking out if within 50-100 miles. You can expect sound design; interesting hiles; good conditions and a pretty setting; if not necessarily anything unique to the world of golf.

8:  One of the very best in the region and worth a special trip to see. Could have some drawbacks, but will make up for them with something really special.

9:  Outstanding course. One of the best in the world with no weaknesses. Should see in your lifetime.

10: Nearly perfect. If you skipped even one hole you would miss something worth seeing. MUST see these courses to appreciate how good golf architecture can get.

;D

Brian Marion:
Tom,

That scale now makes me rethink every course in my area and that I've played in my life.

Sadly, I need to get out more......

THuckaby2:
As do we all, Brian.  Rest assured that although big names do get thrown around in here routinely (I am as guilty of that as anyone it seems), most if not all of us do have routine home golf, which makes up the bulk of our play.  Some of it is better than others, but no matter what, there is no place like home.

By that I mean, my home course Santa Teresa is somewhere between a Doak 2 or 3.  But even though I rip it constantly, in what it means to me it's a Doak 9 at least.  And that's how it should be.

David Ober:

--- Quote from: Tom Huckaby on November 07, 2005, 05:50:14 PM ---As do we all, Brian.  Rest assured that although big names do get thrown around in here routinely (I am as guilty of that as anyone it seems), most if not all of us do have routine home golf, which makes up the bulk of our play.  Some of it is better than others, but no matter what, there is no place like home.

By that I mean, my home course Santa Teresa is somewhere between a Doak 2 or 3.  But even though I rip it constantly, in what it means to me it's a Doak 9 at least.  And that's how it should be.

--- End quote ---

Boy, ain't that the truth. My home track (Canyon Crest CC in Riverside) is never in very good shape, and the greens are bumpy as hell, but I sure never get tired of playing there, and I daresay it has several damn good holes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version