News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Blasberg

Re:More photos of Boston GC (taken since opening)
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2006, 08:24:03 AM »
However, I have to scratch my head at the blind 232 par three...is it really hidden behind mounds and tall fescues as much as the picture indicates?

Mike:  

The tee shot on 8 was one of my favorite on the course . . . it's a serious gut check to hit a long iron or hybrid to a blind green when you're just looking at the top of the pin.  Even though the scene is picturesque it really makes you focus and commit to the shot.

The hole also has great balance as it's very generous up by the green, unless you hit it so far right that you're off the side of 9 tee.

Jason

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2006, 08:43:18 AM »

The hole also has great balance as it's very generous up by the green, unless you hit it so far right that you're off the side of 9 tee.

Jason,

If you recall when we played Boston together, just over the 9th tee is exactly where I ended up!  ;)  ;D

It's a very cool hole on a great course.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2006, 08:43:46 AM »
Scott:

Did you get any photos of 13 green, especially it's back left horeshoe?  Either this visit or last year?

BGC has quite a unique set of 18 greens, one of the most diverse and potentially maddening I've played (in other words they're near perfect).

Was the front right portion of 3 green holding anything?  From you photo it looks like it was middle left, as I recall we played it to a front right pin and everything released down and off the right side of that green.

Jason

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 08:53:49 AM »
Very cool - you will never get bored playing it - but I could see one tough day at the course if you're not at the top of your game.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 08:57:44 AM »
BTW, I don't think there's a more ideal place to play an Autumnal round of golf than BGC.  For such a young course it feels like it's been there for decades.

As everyone can see from the photos BGC is a visual feast, however, what takes it over the top for me is how it winds and twists across the property.  There's tons of roll and ground game options around the green but also lots of heroic carry options.  

For example, the 17th "American Chestnut" is 520 yards with a blind uphill tee shot that doglegs left.  Severe woods guard the inside left side of the hole but if you challange that side with a strong drive you catch a slope and roll well down into go for it in 2 range.  

I hit it so far off the tee by using that speed slot, in fact, I nearly hit it into the right side fairway bunker and as I remember only had 6 or 7 iron into the green.  I think I still made par as my approach to the back right portion of the green came up short and rolled back down a slope.  

For those that prefer a course to set up "out in front of you" BGC will drive you nuts  ;D ;D, which really makes me chuckle because the only players that ever say that are scratch to plus golfers!!!  Who, interestingly, are the ones who need to see where they're going the least.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2006, 10:14:04 AM »
I got a chance to play Boston Golf Club a few weeks ago and I must stand in line behind the others singing the praises of the golf course. It is both fun and hard as nails. But- it is hard without dictating to you how to play.  There are choices to be made and room to play. Your short game needs to be as sharp as your ball striking. I would love the opportunity to play BGC as my home course as my game would get much sharper (or alternatively I would quit and take up up the tuba  :) ).

There are a couple of spots that might need modification such as the approach to #13 I think the green does not accept shots very well but overall this place is a home run!

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2006, 11:04:58 PM »

Jason,

If you recall when we played Boston together, just over the 9th tee is exactly where I ended up!  ;)  ;D

It's a very cool hole on a great course.

Ahh, I knew there was a reason I knew long right was trouble!  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back