News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Boston Golf Club (pooking for pics/info)
« on: August 08, 2006, 11:32:50 PM »
I might be playing in a tournament here in early September.  I know there have been discussions of the golf course--I remember admiring more than a few pictures of the golf course in past threads--but my searches have been unsuccessful.  Can someone direct me to some of the past threads?

Thanks.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jimmy Muratt

Re:Boston Golf Club (pooking for pics/info)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 11:59:00 PM »
Below is a link to an old thread with a bunch of pics taken by Scott Burroughs.  It really looks fantastic.....

http://tinyurl.com/k9yut

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 04:42:51 PM »
Jimmy--

Thanks for pulling that up for me.  I may have to wait to play the course, as I won't be able to play the tournament there, but I'll direct a buddy of mine to the pics, since he will be playing in the tournament.

I personally see a LOT of Strantz in BGC, and I like that a lot.  It seems like a more sophisticated and complex version of Tobacco Road.  TR doesn't have any REALLY small greens (a la BGC #5) or such an open green (a la BGC #8).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 04:43:44 PM by Tim Gavrich »
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 09:50:26 PM »
Tim

No disrespect at all for Mike Strantz but there is all Gil Hanse in BGC.  He was given a really nice property for a golf course and he made the best of it. If you have played his courses (and I've played them all except for Capstone in Alabama including Craighead in Scotland) you see the elements of design that he uses in BGC.  BGC is far better then anything I've seen from Strantz so far. It is a truly wonderful golf course.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 09:51:16 PM by Geoffrey Childs »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 11:48:52 PM »
Tim

No disrespect at all for Mike Strantz but there is all Gil Hanse in BGC.  He was given a really nice property for a golf course and he made the best of it. If you have played his courses (and I've played them all except for Capstone in Alabama including Craighead in Scotland) you see the elements of design that he uses in BGC.  BGC is far better then anything I've seen from Strantz so far. It is a truly wonderful golf course.

Geoffrey--

I haven't had the pleasure of playing any Hanse-designed courses; I think most of the similarity that I noticed was in the large expanses of sand on some of the holes which seem reminiscent of Tobacco Road's rugged wastes.  Just based on te pictures, I'd agree that it could be better than any Strantz effort.  Of the Strantz courses I've played, there haven't been any features as sophisticated as those at BGC #5 and #8.  I'm sure there are many more features which set BGC above most oher golf courses.  The compariso to Strantzwas off-hand and superficial.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back