News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Top100Guru

JUST PLAYED OLD SANDWICH GOLF CLUB IN PLYMOUTH, MA
« on: August 31, 2004, 11:27:35 PM »
Just had the priviledge of spending an entire day at Old Sandwich Golf Club last Friday. This Crenshaw/Coore course will certainly be a hot topic of discussion over the next few years and I will say one to be remembered. The overall facility is unbelieveable for a new club. Several Cottages are in place, an "awesome" teaching facility is fully functional (I even spent a few hours after my round on the launch monitor and video equipment) This "Very Private" club has incredible owners, a super staff, many of whom hail from some of Florida's most notable courses, and The Pro, Jay Wick, from Oyster Harbors is a true gentleman and a class act!

I shot a little 76 on a day with 15-20 mph winds and was very happy with that score. Obviously, the course will need some time to grow in and mature, but I will tell you, there are some "legit" holes on this course.

Plays to a Par 36 on the front with two par 5's and two par 3's and to a Par of 35 on the back w/ three par 3's and two par 5's. Even at 6,878 from the tips (which we played), the course plays very long. Most of the shorter holes play into the prevailing wind and the longer holes play uphill. Old Sanwich GC is situated on a windswept piece of land found only 2 miles from the Ocean in Plymouth. MA. Lots of ups and downs on this very "sloping" course. Long views from most holes. A slope 139 and a rating of 74.1 from the back tees.

My favorite holes were #9, a par 3 of 131 yards with an awesome green complex, #13, a 560 yard par 5 that feeds down to a green situated in a "cove like" setting surrounded by C&C's famous bunkering and huge native blueberry bushes. Dont miss this green or else!!! And #15, a 168 yard Par 3 that has just an incredible look and feel.

The architects moved little earth to create these rolling and un-even fairways....they kept it as "natural" as possible....Green complexes have numerous false fronts, false sides,and false rears.....the Greens surrounds are tightly mowed providing options galore as to how one may attempt to approach the hole.

All in all a fabulous trip and a worthy new design........look for this one to "garner very high praise" indeed.

M III

« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 11:31:39 PM by McConkey III »

Steve_Roths

Re:JUST PLAYED OLD SANDWICH GOLF CLUB IN PLYMOUTH, MA
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 10:09:56 AM »
What did they come up with for a logo for this course?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 11:47:24 AM »
McConkey:  Is the course actually open for play, or was a special exception made for you?

DMoriarty

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 11:58:47 AM »

I sure hope it is an old sandwich.

pdrake

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 12:13:20 PM »
The course is open and very playable except for a few greens.  The logo is old-style font, an O intertwined with an S.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 12:17:19 PM »

I was thinking that it should be a picture of Alexander Fleming with a penicillin bottle.

FYI, Fleming (by accident) discovered penicillin from the moldy crumbs on his sandwich that dropped into a culture of bacteria that killed the bacteria.

Top100Guru

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 05:53:51 PM »
Tom;

One of the partners/owners at Old Sandwich has been talking and showing me pictures and plans of Old Sandwich for the past 2 years. He wanted me to come and see it.....since I was already going to be in CT, I decided to drive over and take him up on it.....

To answer your question, no, it wasnt opened just for me, they actually opened the previous week......there were 2 other members that also played there that Friday, for a total of 6 rounds that day.

Hope this helps.

M III

Top100Guru

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 05:56:55 PM »
Steve;

Actually.....Mr. Drake is correct.......

The logo for Old Sanwich is echoed throughout the club....from the moment you arrive at the Stacked Stone entrance to the plastic cup filled with your favorite elixir after the round, the "Old Style" O & S fonts are proudly displayed everywhere....I picked up a couple of Ahead Hats and Polo Golf shirts before I left.....people asked me this week at my club here "what is that logo"..........you will be seeing more of it soon.....very understated.......

M III
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 05:57:28 PM by McConkey III »

Steve_Roths

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 02:55:02 PM »
Somewhat of a bump and somewhat hopefully we will hear and see more of this club this year.  I know all the focus for new courses has surrounded Bandon Trails and Wynn Golf Club, but this club officially opens this year as well.  I wonder if it will slide ahead of both of BTrails and Wynn.  

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 03:06:48 PM »
If I am not mistaken, Bandon Trails nor Wynn Golf Club are on the "Best New" lists for 2005. I believe they will be on the 2006 lists. Old Sandwich on the otherhand, is on this year's list. I am scheduled to play there in July and I can't wait.
Mr Hurricane

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 03:11:04 PM »
As Mr. McConkey stated above, Old Sandwich opened last year.  Boston Golf Club is the one that opens (or opened) this year.

RE Blanks

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 03:21:39 PM »
why is it called "OLD Sandwich"?   Isn't it a new course?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 03:27:58 PM by RE Blanks »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 03:44:56 PM »
RE:

The club is located on, or near Old Sandwich Road in Plymouth. It's that simple!
jeffmingay.com

Dan Kelly

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 03:56:49 PM »
Special to Mike Cirba --

I was hoping the logo would incorporate the Stewart tartan.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Don Herdrich

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 04:03:08 PM »
there is no doubt OSGC will stay ahead of Wynn's club..........but I don't think Old Sandwich cares about publicity.....it is a low-key club, mainly a 4th or 5th club for national members

it is lovely place that plays firm and fast...........C&C did a great job here..

RE Blanks

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 04:05:19 PM »
Thanks Mingay

That makes sense.  i like that.  I do not like contrived names.  A example would be a new development in say Arkansas called "Olde Little Rock National Golf Links"

Steve_Roths

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2005, 04:23:13 PM »
According to Ben Crenshaw's Schedule via his website this course opens this year:

Opening- Old Sandwich Golf Club
Plymouth, MA June 20

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2005, 04:36:24 PM »
Steve,

I saw that.  That likely just means he's attending some formal "opening" of the golf season or they're finally getting around to having some formalized event to celebrate the club's opening, but the course has been open for play since the latter half of last year.

Did you happen to look down three entries on that schedule?

East Hampton Golf Club
Club Opening July 1

EHGC opened in 2000.

rgkeller

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2005, 05:28:50 PM »
RE:

The club is located on, or near Old Sandwich Road in Plymouth. It's that simple!

One would think that "Old Sandwich Road Golf Club" would be more descriptive and appropriate.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2005, 05:35:07 PM »
I had a chance to say hello to Ben Crenshaw after Saturday's round at the Champions Tour event here in Pensacola, the Blue Angel Classic.  He was enthusiastic about the opening of Bandon Trails in a couple of weeks, and I guess Boston is next if 6/20 is correct opening.  I asked about their plans for the near future and was architecture going to take more of his time than the Senior Tour.  He said they intend to continue building a couple of courses a year, not more than that at once.  He is really a pleasant guy, chatting for a couple of minutes after not playing real well.

John_Cullum

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2005, 09:55:26 PM »
"..........you will be seeing more of it soon.....very understated.......

M III

Oh, the dripping irony. God I love this place.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 09:57:17 PM by John Cullum »
Raynor was a hack

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back