News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Week 14: The 14th at Oakmont
« on: March 05, 2007, 04:51:33 PM »
I'd say this hole is relatively lacking in elevation change, but after last week, I'll have to check with Google first.... :)

From the website:

Green   358
Blue   340
White   332
Red   327

This short par 4 requires a long iron off the teeing ground.  A short iron second is to a very large green with a lot of subtleties to it.  The green generally slopes from right to left, so stay left of the flagstick to have an uphill birdie putt.

Someone asked recently what the yardage is on a driveable par 4 - well, at 350+, I saw more than a couple guys go for this one. I guess they figured with a landing area fraught with trouble, might as well go for it!

The bump in the green (see yardage scan) is pretty significant in influencing putting and thus play, imho.

The yardage scan:

The overhead:

Last week: the vexing 13th
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bill_McBride

Re:Week 14: The 14th at Oakmont
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 06:00:32 PM »
This hole seems like something of a breather between 12, 13 and 15, at least it did to me, but look at all those bunkers!  Not sure how wide the fairway is, but it will be single file for the Open no doubt.

From the member tees it played 4 wood 7 iron kind of a hole.  I never did see a pin behind the knob, that would be interesting.

Adam Sherer

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 06:07:49 PM »
One of the tings that stands out in my mind when I think of the #14th is the connection between the green and the #15th tee. It is a great peice of historical shaping. The 15th tee is no more than ten yards or so (golfers right) from the 14th green. Needless to say that more than one sliced approach to the green has been played from the 15th tee.
It just has that antiquated feel of how features were formed before legalities prohibited closeness of greens and tees (of successive holes)

Great green, as previously described by George, with the contours. It really is quite a large green, especially after the 13th. If you are on the front edge and the pin is in the back, it's a nightmare.

We'll see a lot of birdies on this hole when the pros play.

It goes to show that some of the strategic ideas behind Oakmont will be overlooked due to the length of todays game; George mentioned the "grip it and rip it" idea one this hole of avoiding the fairway that is saturated with bunkers. At the same time he also mentions that two iron shots will get you to the green just the same. What would Phil do?
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 05:14:21 PM »
Interesting little golf hole. One thing to note is just how narrow the approach is. Also goes against the norm of a short hole small green. This green is huge and alot of fun. I really can't see many pro's trying to drive the green here, there is just too much trouble on the approach.

You guys will like this set:

James Edwards

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 06:58:54 PM »
Excellent stuff Ryan!
@EDI__ADI

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 10:39:44 PM »
Ryan,

The bump in the green does not seem as hard as the graphic and yardage book indicate.

Is it really a dynamic green feature?
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 10:45:52 PM »
Adam,
You weren't kidding about the 15th tee being in close proximity to the 14th green. Yikes!

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 10:50:07 PM »
Jeff the bump looks very subtle in person but effects a lot of putts on the green. Its no hump like number 4 at Rustic.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 11:12:59 PM »
I love that flat on the ground green.  Oakmont has such a wonderful variety, this might be the only that is dead flat at the front.

Actually, I guess #8 is also.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 11:13:28 PM by Bill_McBride »

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 01:45:09 AM »
I'm in agreement that this looks like the last of the breather/birdie chances coming in.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 12:09:15 PM »
Bump to coincide with Patrick's post.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back