News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Week 13: the vexing 13th at Oakmont
« on: February 26, 2007, 04:19:56 PM »
A very unique par 3 among championship courses, imho - there aren't too many other par 3s that are so uphill. And with prevailing thoughts on visibility, it's not likely there will be many more in the future. :-[

From the website:

Green   183
Blue   153
White   139
Red   129

On this mid-iron par 3, the hourglass green is very narrow.  A miss long or right makes par a fading fantasy.  Stay below the hole to have a better chance for a birdie putt.

Again, it's not readily apparent from the diagram just how uphill the tee shot is. The green looks almost invisible from down there.

Yardages, photos, and overhead to follow.

Last Week: The wonderful 12th at Oakmont
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

Re:Week 13: the vexing 13th at Oakmont
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 05:25:12 PM »
The yardage book circa 2003:

The overhead:

One photo from the left side of the green - sorry it's a lousy one. Those people are up on the 13th tee, this was taken during the final match at the '03 Am, after play had been completed on the hole.

Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

nandoal

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 08:39:57 AM »
George, for some reason I don't remember this hole being that uphill.  Playing all the way back I think I hit my "money club" my 7-wood with my LPGA fade to the back of the green, and  kept up my streak of 3 putting this green.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:22:40 AM »
Bump

George,

Thanks for this series. I've never been to Oakmont, but surely will enjoy the Open more with all the insight gleaned from these threads.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

michael j fay

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 11:30:19 AM »
Vexing is an underestimation.

When I played there about 10 years ago the pin was in the front center and one of my playing partners was directly behind the pin on the other side of that little mound that pushes out into the green. When it came to his turn to putt he was taking an inordinate amount of time to prepare. The group started to fidget so we asked him what the problem was. He said that he did not think he could get the ball anywhere near the hole. Finally he putted and ended up about 15 feet from the hole. We all laughed and he became defensive and said he would bet anyone in the group $ 10.00 that they could not get any closer. Everyone jumped at the challenge, after all the putt was only 35 feet. Needless to say he walked off the green $ 30.00 richer.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 12:51:49 AM »
I also agree with the others, the hole is not that far uphill. Maybe 6 feet or so, sorry George  ;D

Pictures:

View from 14 tee:

nandoal

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 05:03:22 AM »
Amazing pictures again Ryan!  Great work.

Let's Go Pens!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 10:36:31 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Ryan. I had been hoping you would post, because I figured the 13 had to go back up what 12 came down, and I couldn't see that corresponding to George's description. Perhaps George has more trouble walking up hills than when he was younger and has correspondingly escalated his perceptions of slope.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 11:28:56 AM »
I could certainly be wrong, but I do think those photos are a little misleading, and that it is more uphill than others are thinking.

Maybe one of the Google geeks could help us out.

:)

It is a wonderful par 3, nonetheless.

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 02:43:25 PM »
Google Earth says that the back part of the tee is at 924 feet of elevation while the back part of the green is at 944 feet.

Forget the elevation, this is another of the really scary greens on the course.  Steep and the knob that comes in from the right really means putts from front to back or vice versa are really tough.  It also slopes to the left pretty hard.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 11:41:40 AM »
I could certainly be wrong, but I do think those photos are a little misleading, and that it is more uphill than others are thinking.

Maybe one of the Google geeks could help us out.

:)

It is a wonderful par 3, nonetheless.

George,

I think the telling part of the photos is how much of the flagstick can be seen. On a steep uphill shot, the green has to have less slope than the hill leading up to it. Depending on its position, more or less of the flag will be seen. However, in Ryan's picture it looks as though much of the green surface behind the flagstick can be seen, which indicates a much gentler slope.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 11:57:29 AM »
Thanks, John, that is flat out amazing (pun intended). I am amazed that there is only 20 feet of elevation change, it sure as heck looked like a lot more than that to me.

Heck, the green alone seems sloped more than a little!

nandoal

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 01:30:16 PM »
Your right George that green is very sloped.  great work again.

Can't wait for the short 14th .
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 01:30:41 PM by Allan_Hernandez »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back