News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: Early Pics of Doak / C&C project in FL?
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2011, 06:50:54 PM »
Garland -

The property is near Fort Meade, FL. It is due east of St. Petersburg, about 1/3 of the way across the state.

DT

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2011, 07:53:39 PM »
27*40'44.22"N   81*56'10.95"W  -   Google Earth shows progress as of December 2010

Jim Colton

Re: Streamsong Construction Pics
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2011, 05:48:30 PM »
Matty G posted a story with some pics of Streamsong, including one of Tom D standing in front of a water hazard.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/blogs/wheres-matty-g/2011/04/update-and-images-streamsong-r.html

It looks like Keith Rhebb's photostream has been updated with recent pics as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithrhebb/

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »
Nice catch Jim, Keith's pics are great. Love the colors... Trying to picture grassing lines and the transitions between native areas, sand and turf!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2011, 09:20:49 AM »
We've got a nice piece on Streamsong in the new edition of our mag (published last week) featuring several of Keith's pics - it looks really great. I had a fun day there with Bill in February.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

John Foley

« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2011, 11:48:39 AM »
Looks pretty interesting from here - remote, but interesting

Integrity in the moment of choice

Anthony Butler

« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2011, 12:44:36 PM »
Matty G posted a story with some pics of Streamsong, including one of Tom D standing in front of a water hazard.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/blogs/wheres-matty-g/2011/04/update-and-images-streamsong-r.html

It looks like Keith Rhebb's photostream has been updated with recent pics as well.

I love the comment about Tom Doak's allergy to marketing the product.

Seeing him placed on the property for that photo reminds me of the old advertising trick where if you wanted to get the ending shot in a pet food commercial, but the animal would not stand still, you would put the kitty in a bucket, windmill it round your head a couple of times, then place the kitty next to the can and voila, you were ready for the package shot.  (Which I can assure you I never used personally).

I wonder what technique was used to make Mr Doak stay still for the PR shot?

Next!

Jim Colton

« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2011, 02:35:49 PM »
Looks pretty interesting from here - remote, but interesting

Thanks for sharing, John. I can probably take a stab at overlaying these two pics tonight, but for now here is the layout pic from page 3 of this thread side-by-side with John's aerial.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2011, 02:42:52 PM »

I love the comment about Tom Doak's allergy to marketing the product.

Seeing him placed on the property for that photo reminds me of the old advertising trick where if you wanted to get the ending shot in a pet food commercial, but the animal would not stand still, you would put the kitty in a bucket, windmill it round your head a couple of times, then place the kitty next to the can and voila, you were ready for the package shot.  (Which I can assure you I never used personally).

I wonder what technique was used to make Mr Doak stay still for the PR shot?

Anthony:

Loved your story about the kitties ... I will share that with my wife.

I wasn't standing still for the PR shot.  I believe it was taken while I was touring a dozen writers around the site during the PGA Show, and I am waiting for them to get situated so I could start describing what we were up to.  However, that's probably all they had to work with, because I do NOT like having my picture taken and don't sit still well.

Jim:

I am headed back there next week and will try to get some pictures to share.  Irrigation is in on 3-4 holes now and they expect to start grassing the first of May.  We have 18 holes shaped and ready for irrigation; I think Bill's crew has 15 or 16 holes shaped, but aren't ready to release that many of them for irrigation yet.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2011, 06:51:49 PM »
This is awesome. Anything beats a phosphate mine down there.

It looks like it is off the Lake Wales Ridge proper, whose western boundary in this area is the string of lakes to the east of the development. (Here's an old thread on the Ridge: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,28247.0.html)

I don't know if the Bone Valley extends quite that far but no matter that site is the central phosphate district.

Someone asked about a big mound off in the distance of one of the pics -- I think that may be a gypsum pile.

Tom, have you read "Oranges" by John McPhee? You might find it interesting given he tells some of the history down in that area.

Best of luck!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2011, 10:05:28 AM »
Nice article from Golf Course Architecture magazie on the development and design of the Streamsong courses.

http://www.streamsongresort.com/images/stories/streamsong/press/gca-onsite.pdf
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

BCrosby

« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »
Tom -

Are you using ultra dwarfs on the greens?

Bob 

Jim Nugent

« Reply #162 on: June 24, 2011, 03:58:35 PM »
The article mentions that the C&C course will have a Biarritz.  Have C&C built many other templates, and if so, how have they turned out? 

Kevin Jackson

« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2011, 06:56:22 PM »
The C&C Biarritz plays parallel to the already famous 7th on the Doak Course (to the left of the tee) and it might be number 14 or 15 for that course.  It will only be a biarritz green, not bunkering.  The Swale is HUGE from what I remember.  It must be 6-8 ft. deep or more.  The tee shot will be played over water.  The green has a big, steep dune on the right edge (no where to miss) covered in native high grasses.  The left falls off quite a bit, but it will definitely be the better place to miss. Based on the wind, it could be a very tough hole.  I am also pretty sure the yardage will be up near 200 as well.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2011, 06:36:14 AM »
Ultra dwarfs? Are those 21st Century Oompa Loompas or do I have my terminology confuzzled?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
27*40'44.22"N   81*56'10.95"W  -   Google Earth shows progress as of December 2010

This takes me to 10th Ave, Caloocan, Phililpines. What am I doing wrong?

Jud_T

« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »
TD quote from the new Golf Course Architecture:

“I'm no longer talking about the potential of the course to be excellent – I’m talking about what the finished product is going to be, and I'm more excited about that than ever,”
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ed_getka

« Reply #167 on: July 04, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »
Just reading about this project for the first time. Any projected opening date yet? It would be cool if the company takes a page from Bandon and does an opening day event.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2012, 10:12:24 AM »
I am in love.

I'll be able to leave Nashvegas after work, catch a plane and play 36 the next day.  Can't wait.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2012, 10:19:42 AM »
As I mentioned on a different thread, the opening date now depends on the completion schedule for the clubhouse.  The building is so much in the center of things that it would be very hard for them to open the doors out of a temporary structure ... the clubhouse would get too much in the way, considering that carts have to drive through it to get from the eighteenth green of the Red course to the first tee of either course.

Tentatively, the opening will be sometime in November, 2012, but there is no date yet, and delays are possible.  The golf courses will be 100% ready when the clubhouse is ... there are 4-5 more holes to plant on the Red course, but all 18 holes on the Blue are planted, and in fact I've already played them a couple of times.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »
As I mentioned on a different thread, the opening date now depends on the completion schedule for the clubhouse.  The building is so much in the center of things that it would be very hard for them to open the doors out of a temporary structure ... the clubhouse would get too much in the way, considering that carts have to drive through it to get from the eighteenth green of the Red course to the first tee of either course.

Tentatively, the opening will be sometime in November, 2012, but there is no date yet, and delays are possible.  The golf courses will be 100% ready when the clubhouse is ... there are 4-5 more holes to plant on the Red course, but all 18 holes on the Blue are planted, and in fact I've already played them a couple of times.

Thanks for the update on the timing of the clubhouse build-out and the courses.

Here are a couple local stories from the community event that Streamsong hosted at the site this week.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20120222/ARTICLE/120229842

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_polk/developers-unveil-progress-in-new-luxury-resort-and-golf-course-in-most-rural-part-of-polk-county

The clip from the ABC Tampa station includes visuals and a model of the new "luxury resort." It certainly appears that no detail will be spared (e.g., sink stoppers).

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill_McBride

« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »
Tom -

Are you using ultra dwarfs on the greens?

Bob 

Bob, somewhere I think I saw MiniVerde greens and everything else 419.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2012, 11:07:51 AM »
The article mentions that the C&C course will have a Biarritz.  Have C&C built many other templates, and if so, how have they turned out? 

C&C built a great biarritz at Bandon Trails.  It's the 5th hole.  Bill Coore told me it's basically how they found it, they just cleaned it up and planted it.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2012, 11:43:40 PM »
New stunning Streamsong photos from Keith Rhebb. Check out the folders on the right.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #174 on: March 02, 2012, 12:47:05 PM »
What is the landscape budget?

The par 3 looks awesome.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back